Old 08-13-2005, 03:33 AM   #1
cmherndon
Banned

Send a message via AIM to cmherndon Send a message via Yahoo to cmherndon
Default A New Way to Railfan

With gas prices here now approaching $2.50 a gallon (this is not the left coast, dangit!) I figured that it's best to find some mode of transportation that's cheap and reliable. Granted, my Toyota is both of those (even after 307K miles), but it seems that gas milage takes a nose dive during a day of railfanning. That's not really desirable with the aforementioned price of gas. That said...

(photo by John Herndon)

My dad and I took a 38 mile bike ride a few weeks ago. While taking a break at Waddy to drink some Gatorade (because water sucks), he took the previous photo of me observing the passing of NS 22A. We also ended up involuntarily observing the passing of 223 at the west end while making another stop for more Gatorade (what else?). In all reality though, this wasn't really a railfanning trip. We were making a loop and just happened to be in the right place at the right time. However, I still think I might just have to start riding my bike everywhere if gas keeps going up.

One extra thing...

If you drive a car, please remember to watch out for cyclists. Kentucky law states that cyclists "Be granted all the rights and be subject to all the duties" applicable to drivers of any vehicle. A bicycle is a vehicle, not a toy, and, as such, must obey the traffic rules and regulations pertaining to all highway users. Motorists should regard bicyclists as they would any other vehicle." and that motorists must share the road with bicycles. I personally have had several close calls while riding, and that takes away the fun. Remember, cyclists are out everywhere and have as much right to be out on the road as a car. Please share the road.
cmherndon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2005, 04:20 AM   #2
Slopes09

Send a message via AIM to Slopes09

This is the only way I can do my railfanning. I have one or two trails by me that I know of. Some of them I am keeping to myself. Others I have mentioned before. I have even taken some pictures while on the bike (I'm good at riding with no hands), though I never did make prints of them, even though they came out fine. Whats hard is when you hear a train shooting off your bike, then trying to find a way through the small patch of woods between me and the tracks, and then finally getting my camera out. Tis hard work but definatly worth it. Theres also another train I've been dying to try by me but I have to find someone to go with me first. I think I'll run out of time though, as I'm busy these last two weeks before school.
Slopes09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2005, 05:08 AM   #3
SD70MAC
HOBO

Your on to something Caleb! Definetly have the right idea.
SD70MAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2005, 01:43 PM   #4
dodi4200

Send a message via Yahoo to dodi4200

for me im railfaning with no equipment (just the camera) as i live in the cpital of the state and the central station of the state is about 2KM from my home.
so most of the movements for me are by walking and running
as most of my railfaning in the central station so the trains are slowing down so i can in some times take more than one pic for one train.
(if you like an idea,thought alot in it and worked hard for it.you will get it)
click here 2 c my pix @ rp.net
dodi4200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2005, 03:59 PM   #5
bnsf sammy

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmherndon
With gas prices here now approaching $2.50 a gallon (this is not the left coast, dangit!)
on the "left" coast, its $3.07 for prem. and like $2.85 for reg.
Old 08-15-2005, 05:49 PM   #6
jweber33

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnsf sammy
on the "left" coast, its $3.07 for prem. and like $2.85 for reg.
And the people back east think their gas prices are high! Man, I'd love to trade with them.
jweber33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2005, 02:02 PM   #7
ssw9662

Quote:
Gatorade (because water sucks)
I smell a new Gatorade slogan!
Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM
Canon 50mm f/1.8
My Railpictures.net Photos
flickr
ssw9662 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2005, 05:13 PM   #8
petertenthije

Quote:
Originally Posted by jweber33
And the people back east think their gas prices are high! Man, I'd love to trade with them.
Me too! Paying $6,07 per gallon is getting a tad silly. And that's the cheapest rate available!
petertenthije is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2005, 02:41 AM   #9
ccaranna

Thumbs up

Caleb,

That's great! Ever since I've really gotten into photography my bike riding really has taken a back seat as far as my interests are concerned.

For a while, I used to ride every other day, but I've only gotten out a several times this year. I'll tell you what, I'm really out of shape!

Anyway, I decided to take the A80 with me and hit the road. I selected and mapped out routes in the country that criss-cross RR routes. Though I haven't gotten any RP.net quality images, (usually b/c I'm so tired and winded I can't concentrate ) I am definitely gathering ideas and spots that I can hit when I go back with my car.

BTW, 38 miles in KY is like 60 here in the flatlands of central and NW Ohio. WOW!

Have fun, and be careful out there!
ccaranna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2005, 11:20 PM   #10
Slopes09

Send a message via AIM to Slopes09

http://www.trains.com/Content/Dynami...6/059gsijo.asp
Thought you might find it interesting. I've done Tony Knowles before, but sadly, I didn't see any trains on it. Dang, if I could write the article, I could add at least 5 to that that are withing a 50 mile radius of where I live. I can't wait till I get out of this d@mn brace and off crutches so I can go biking again. Too bad by then it will be to cold here to do that.
Slopes09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2005, 12:44 AM   #11
BNSF_SD40-2B

Send a message via Yahoo to BNSF_SD40-2B

Quote:
Too bad by then it will be to cold here to do that.
Who says you can't ride a bike in the winter.I've rode a bike in 6 in. of snow.......and it was still snowing!!!!
Old 09-07-2005, 01:17 PM   #12
busyEMT

Quote:
Originally Posted by BNSF_SD40-2B
Who says you can't ride a bike in the winter.I've rode a bike in 6 in. of snow.......and it was still snowing!!!!
I did this for 3 years. But I was earning money in Minneapolis as a bike courier.

Kind of impossible to chase a train. And after waiting 20 minutes for a shot, in Zero degree weather, I like to seek shelter of my car.

More power to you!!!

Don't do anything you wouldn't want to explain to the paramedics!
busyEMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2005, 04:48 PM   #13
lucky77

Quote:
One extra thing...

If you drive a car, please remember to watch out for cyclists. Kentucky law states that cyclists "Be granted all the rights and be subject to all the duties" applicable to drivers of any vehicle. A bicycle is a vehicle, not a toy, and, as such, must obey the traffic rules and regulations pertaining to all highway users. Motorists should regard bicyclists as they would any other vehicle." and that motorists must share the road with bicycles. I personally have had several close calls while riding, and that takes away the fun. Remember, cyclists are out everywhere and have as much right to be out on the road as a car. Please share the road.
I wanted to highlight something in what you wrote, especially with all those people who are now riding bicycles due to the gas prices (which are still relatively high!), I have seen so many bicyclists riding the wrong way down the road, riding on sidewalks, not stopping for traffic signs and signals, and just generally not paying attention to what's in front of them or around them... So it goes both ways!

BTW, congrats on your "New Way to Railfan" -- I gotta try that sometime!