Old 07-22-2008, 04:12 AM   #1
J Douglas Moore

Question What Happened?? Shutter sticks??

I have a Canon EOS Elan SLR (1993 vintage) that just last nite became my back-up due to a new 40D in my stable. Problem is I just looked at the CD from this weekend and looks like my shutter is sticking/not fully opening or staying open...... I did a 9 shot blast on a track speed (about 60 mph) UP. Settings 5.6f and 1000 shutter shooting 200iso. each one has a lil different exposure and some are really sharp and others show motion blur........... Before I take it to a shop and spend $$ on a camera that really has no value, has anyone had a similar experiance or have any ideas. Battery is good, no dust, dirt, etc. The only thing I can think of is that since it has been a companion for 15 years, it is jealous. It must have heard me order the new 40D and got mad......

"Thanks for looking"

It is a proven fact that birthdays are good for you. The people with the most always live longer!
J Douglas Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 05:14 AM   #2
Mustang11

Can you post any of the shots so we can see the problem? Sometimes shutter sticking results in dark areas on one side of the image but I am not sure how it would effect motion blur. It very well might, but looking at the images I am sure someone here can identify the problem.

If it is the shutter, I would have a camera store examine it. I had a Pentax k1000 with a shutter that stuck and all it took to make it perfect was a $75 cleaning/tune up at the local camera store (granted this was 4 years ago and prices might have risen since then)

Also try and find somewhere that will do a low or no cost evaluation and and let you know a cost before any repairs.

Brian

My RailPictures.net Photos -- My fotopic.net Photos
Graphic Design & Photography portfolio site
Mustang11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 05:33 AM   #3
J Douglas Moore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang11
Can you post any of the shots so we can see the problem? Sometimes shutter sticking results in dark areas on one side of the image but I am not sure how it would effect motion blur. It very well might, but looking at the images I am sure someone here can identify the problem.

If it is the shutter, I would have a camera store examine it. I had a Pentax k1000 with a shutter that stuck and all it took to make it perfect was a $75 cleaning/tune up at the local camera store (granted this was 4 years ago and prices might have risen since then)

Also try and find somewhere that will do a low or no cost evaluation and and let you know a cost before any repairs.

Brian
I got the motion blur on the overexposed pix which makes sense..........

"Thanks for looking"

It is a proven fact that birthdays are good for you. The people with the most always live longer!
Old 07-22-2008, 06:22 AM   #4
trainboysd40

Send a message via MSN to trainboysd40

Pics or we have no idea what you're talking about
Obligatory link to shots on RP, HERE
trainboysd40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 10:46 AM   #5
milwman
I shoot what I like

Send a message via Yahoo to milwman

A lube job may fix it? i think,has it ben in before for a lube. May be a good time to give it a rest if you don't need it bad. $150 to 200 for a lube and adjust last time i had one in.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/22299476@N05/
milwman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 02:26 PM   #6
J Douglas Moore

Quote:
Originally Posted by trainboysd40
Pics or we have no idea what you're talking about
I am just gonna take it in........... Thanks all

"Thanks for looking"