Old 06-12-2009, 06:24 PM   #1
lothes19

Default Confusion at Copper Creek

All,

I'm struggling to understand some of the excitement over the current PCA1 photo, Franklin Adams' view of two CSX trains at Copper Creek, Virginia. I've looked at it several times, and tried to think open-mindedly about it, but I'm still not quite getting it.

There are some things I like about this photo. For one thing, I like that the photographer tried to find a unique angle at one of the most-photographed railroad locations in the country. I also like how the low perspective emphasizes the height of the taller viaduct. I like the shadow on the top of the hill, and the way the bright sky reflects off the dark sides of the passenger cars. And I like how the details on the front of engine 449 emerge into bright sunlight from the deep shadows of the plow.

However....I've seen several comments to the effect of "great angle," and I'm confused by these. I must admit that I'm struggling to appreciate the composition of this photograph. To my eye, the two trains seems to be competing for my attention, rather than complimenting each other. Their placement near opposite edges of the frame, going in opposite directions, creates a lot of visual tension for me. While I'm quick to admit that visual tension can be used very effectively as a photographic tool, so far I haven't been able to appreciate this application of it. I'm also bothered by how the passenger train seems to be "growing" out of the cab of the 449, and the bright gravel roads at lower right feel distracting to me.

My unabashed opinion is that most of the excitement over this photo results more from the fact that it depicts two trains, and less from the aesthetic qualities of the photograph itself. I'll certainly consider other opinions; in fact, I'd enjoy reading them quite a bit.

Respectfully,

Scott Lothes
lothes19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 06:37 PM   #2
asis80

Send a message via AIM to asis80

Scott, I think the technical flaws lose to the 2 trains, whether photoshopped, by luck, or set up by CSX, meeting one another at the 2 trestles. I guarantee this why it got PCA. And the top train being an OCS crossing over the lower train helps also. This is one of those RP shots that are so cool they gotta get in, hate it or love it. I didn't and won't pay attention to the minute details on why this may be photoshopped, it's a "cool" shot and a lot of people are responding to it. In my opinion, any shot whether it's getting a good or bad rap has achieved it's goal by the human population by awe, speculation, and ridicule. Think, when you take a photograph, no matter what audience it may be or the subject, don't you want to get attention or views or whatever it may be? This achieved it perfectly, and like I said, no matter if it's real or not. I'm on the fence with it, if my opinion matters.

Ben
Old 06-12-2009, 07:48 PM   #3
daveedmo

Can you post a link to the pic?

Cheers,
Dave
daveedmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 08:31 PM   #4
stevenmwelch

Send a message via AIM to stevenmwelch Send a message via Yahoo to stevenmwelch

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveedmo View Post
Can you post a link to the pic?
Pretty simple, it's the PCA #1...

Image © Franklin Adams
PhotoID: 285410
Photograph © Franklin Adams
My Photos on RP
My RP Rejects and then Some
stevenmwelch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 08:36 PM   #5
ccaranna

I think it has a certain commercial looking quality...not sure if that was the intent behind it, though.
ccaranna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 08:56 PM   #6
travsirocz

Send a message via AIM to travsirocz

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccaranna View Post
I think it has a certain commercial looking quality...not sure if that was the intent behind it, though.
Yes it does. It was a right time right place shot, but I agree that it does pull your eyes all over.
travsirocz is offline   Reply With Quote