Old 07-12-2006, 05:14 AM   #1
Mgoldman

Default Photo of the week is also People's Choice of the week.

Just saying.

Some other photos could've used the exposure!
/MG
Mgoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 06:26 AM   #2
Christopher Muller

That isn't uncommon.

Just saying the most people voted for that one.
Christopher Muller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 02:34 PM   #3
Chris Kilroy
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Chris Kilroy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgoldman
Some other photos could've used the exposure!
Yeah, like mine.

I pick the POTW based on what I feel was the best photo uploaded of the past week or two. Is it really fair to deny the photo I really felt was the best because it had already been voted PC by the viewers?
- View My Photos at JetPhotos.Net!
Chris Kilroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006, 12:41 AM   #4
a231pacific

Chris,

The current photo of the week is stunning! I'm glad that you chose it based on excellence, as people's choice selections are sometimes based on criteria other than just the quality of the photo. Subject matter may influences PC voting in addition to pure photo quality.

I've only been following RP for a couple of months, but I've been impressed by some of the high quality material that has been posted. While the most hits don't necessarily translate into the best photo, the PC voting does seem to generally recognize quality and certainly the editors choice, screeners choice and photo of the week selections are outstanding.

Michael Allen
a231pacific is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006, 12:51 AM   #5
Chris Kilroy
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Chris Kilroy

Michael,

Thanks for the kind words! Glad you enjoy the site!
- View My Photos at JetPhotos.Net!
Chris Kilroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006, 01:04 AM   #6
Pat Lorenz

Well i have seen numerous times where POTW is choosen for other rewards but i do find it a bit dissapointing that it is another repeat shot. No doubt the photo and photographer are amazing but in this case the current POTW was choosen by the PC awards first, meaning that choosing this for a POTW while already knowing that it was a PC selection kinda sucks.

I would understand if it was the opposite way around but it didnt happen that way.

I am not attacking anyone here but i am a bit dis-satisfied with the repitition of the front page. I mean there are about 600 or more photos uploaded per week here and all we can do is pick the same shots over and over again, there are a good number of real quality and out standing materials uploaded and it just puzzels me to why people keep picking the same thing.

Lets get some variety.

I am not b*tching and trying to complain here, but i just seems like the same thing keeps happening. I just wanted to back up Mgoldman here.

When you have the amounts of material RPics recives, why not use it.
Pat Lorenz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006, 01:27 AM   #7
Ween

POTW, Screener's Choice, PC...does it really matter?

Of course, this is coming from a guy who has none of the above...
Old 07-13-2006, 02:22 AM   #8
rpalmer
RailPictures.net Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by a231pacific
Chris,

The current photo of the week is stunning!

Michael Allen
I agree.
In addition, I'm happy to see James Belmont finally get a POTW. He's been contributing some outstanding images to the site. His composition is almost always perfect and the color balance on his images is amazing.
It's about time he gets the recognition that he deserves !
Old 07-13-2006, 03:21 AM   #9
a231pacific

Mr. Belmont is one of a half dozen photographers that I query for each time I get on RP.

Good composition, good lighting and scenic backgrounds. The man knows how to take pictures!

Michael Allen
Old 07-13-2006, 06:13 AM   #10
Pat Lorenz

Apparently ya;ll didnt read my response correctly. None of what i say has to do anything with the photographers or photos themselves. I am just writing FOR THE GENERAL IDEA..Not against anyone (except mabey ween). But i like to point things out more then others. Like i said i am not saying that the POTW should have went to me (i havent uploaded anything in 3 months).

But in that time i have seen alot of work get picked for mulitple recognitions where as i could have easily off the top of my head found 15 other images that could have also been recognized, insted of the same one over and over.
Old 07-13-2006, 01:07 PM   #11
busyEMT

I think a picture which earns a PCA, before or after, becoming the POTW, proves that CK chooses enjoyable pictures to showcase.

And, can't the MVP of a game, be the most popular?

Don't do anything you wouldn't want to explain to the paramedics!
busyEMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006, 05:34 PM   #12
a231pacific

Pat,

Maybe I'm missing something here, but there are 5 different types of recognition on the home page.

Top Shots - The four shots that get the most hits.

People's Choice - Voted on by RP viewers

Photo of the Week - Picked by the Editor?

Editor's Choice - Editor's personal favorites

Screener's Choice - Screener's personal favorites.

None of them have anything to do with each other, except possibly Photo of the Week. In looking back through the uploads for the week, I'd say the current Photo of the Week was the best of the lot, although there were other excellent shots uploaded. Since there is only 1 photo of the week, there are going to be 600 that missed the cut. Even if the Editor had chosen a different Photo of the Week, there would still be 599 others that didn't get recognized. That's why I browse the data base, since not all the great shots are going to be featured on the home page!

Michael Allen
Old 07-13-2006, 08:52 PM   #13
Mgoldman

QUOTE=Chris Kilroy
I pick the POTW based on what I feel was the best photo uploaded of the past week or two. Is it really fair to deny the photo I really felt was the best because it had already been voted PC by the viewers?[/quote]

I pre assumed that POTW was - "Here's a great photo that you may have missed!" If it is infact "Chris's Choice" it should be "Chris's Choice" similar to Editor's Choice (long abscent) or Screener's Choice. I agree with Pat who stated if it was selected as a POTW first, and then won PC that would be fine. Again, my current line of thought is, here's a photo that may not have had the coverage it deserved which is null if it had already won a PC!

/Mitch
Old 07-14-2006, 12:07 AM   #14
Pat Lorenz

Again i think every one except for Mgoldman is missing the point of the thread.

I dont care about how good the photo is or the photographer. I am trying to get across a point that seems simple.

I would understand completley if the POTW was the same picture as the PC awards IF the POTW shot was selected before the PC shot. Because of the fact that the PC shot has nothing to do with the screeners.

BUT, it didnt happen that way.

Insted the POTW was choosen after the PC shot got in, thus making it kind of wierd that the screener picked the very same shot to POTW when he already knew that the photo had recived recognition and given that he already knew it was gonna be posted on the front page for a week, just like the POTW.

So i am saying that there is alot of repitition here, we have so many other photos why not use them.

I dont care what the different kind of awards is, i am saying in this particular case, the POTW and PC awards get displayed on the same page.

Whatever the case, i feel as though (once again) i am fighting a loosing battel here, but at least one other person (mglodman) agrees with me.
Old 07-14-2006, 01:05 AM   #15
Slopes09

Send a message via AIM to Slopes09

Wait, I might be missing something here, but the People's Choice should have been from between June 26, 2006 and July 3, 2006. However, I was under the impression that POTW was from the week it was selected in. In other words, it was uploaded in the first few days of that week. The photo in question was uploaded June 26, 2006, 17 days ago, with July 3rd 10 days ago. I'm a bit confused here.

Pretty much the only Pentax Shooter.

Click Here to view my photos at RailPictures.Net!
Slopes09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2006, 01:15 AM   #16
Andrew Blaszczyk (2)

Send a message via AIM to Andrew Blaszczyk (2) Send a message via Yahoo to Andrew Blaszczyk (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat Lorenz
Whatever the case, i feel as though (once again) i am fighting a loosing battel here, but at least one other person (mglodman) agrees with me.
You have a second now. I do believe a photo should be able to get all of the "awards" possible if it is a truly remarkable and unique photo such as:
Image © Dave Schauer
PhotoID: 131137
Photograph © Dave Schauer

But in cases where there is no clear winner and there is more than that one obvious choice, I feel that if it was a PC vote it should not be the PotW. I'm not saying this is always the case, there are exceptions such as Dave's photo.

On a side note, the Photo of the Week this week is great!

"My camera is an artistic medium, not a tool of terrorism."

www.ab2photography.com Coming soon!
My photos on RailPictures:
http://www.railpictures.net/showphotos.php?userid=960
Andrew Blaszczyk (2) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2006, 03:42 AM   #17
Ween

Quote:
So i am saying that there is alot of repitition here, we have so many other photos why not use them.
This is close to the whole "everybody deserves a trophy, even the teams who didn't win the game" mentality of kid's sports today.

I feel bad for the screeners/admin, I really do. When they reject a photo they get questioned and when they choose what they feel is the best for the week they get questioned...it's just lose/lose for them at times.

Again, I'm not getting why it's such a huge deal if a shot gets a PC and then POTW. I understand spreading the wealth, but what does it matter, really? If this scenario happens like it did this week, it means that the people and the screeners/admin (gasp) actually agree!!!

And any photos that get 'slighted' out of an award doesn't mean they are bad shots. Chances are, they have a high number of views and a slew of comments, so they are getting recognition...
Old 07-14-2006, 03:59 AM   #18
Pat Lorenz

I have no further comments, i lost intrest in the whole subject.
Old 07-14-2006, 02:05 PM   #19
Joe the Photog

I think it sucks that Michael Jordan got all those NBA Finals MVP awards along with six rings. Didn't Charles Barkley, Karl Malone or Magic Johnson deserve one?

Joe
w/all sarcasm intended
Old 07-14-2006, 11:21 PM   #20
cmherndon
Banned

Send a message via AIM to cmherndon Send a message via Yahoo to cmherndon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog
I think it sucks that Michael Jordan got all those NBA Finals MVP awards along with six rings. Didn't Charles Barkley, Karl Malone or Magic Johnson deserve one?
Leave it up to the resident sports statistician (yes, I really am one) to point out that Magic Johnson does indeed own five championship rings as a member of the Lakers teams that were so dominant throughout the 80's.

We now return you to the regular topic.
cmherndon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2006, 01:54 AM   #21
Mgoldman

I've changed my thinking - if POTW is a "trophy" for best photo of a week, then so be it. I thought, before Chris's reply, that it was as I stated - "Here's one you may have missed last week" - which I think would be a great since we already have PC for the week. Then we can bring back some hidden gems from the likes of George Hamlin, Ron Flanary, Martin O'Toole and even Chris - by no means a complete list!

Good night, thread.