Old 01-14-2021, 03:35 PM   #1
Decapod401

Default For your 31 day viewing pleasure

I had this one rejected today - not whining or complaining, nor do I intend to appeal. I thought that it was interesting enough to post in spite of sub-optimal, but not terrible, lighting. Apparently the screener didn't agree.

https://www.railpictures.net/viewrej...71&key=2991595

My RP Pics are HERE.

I've now got a Flickr. account, too.
Decapod401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 04:22 PM   #2
RobJor

A certain set of railfans might be attracted to the railroad mix of boxcars. Certainly another scene that has disappeared. Many kids of that era would watch every car looking for then the rail logos from all over the country. It was a way to connect to the railroads we would never see. Today trains often are 100 cars of the same thing.

A scene I was very familiar with with my time on the Milwaukee Road in a yard filled with loose cars and sets of transfer and road power mixed in. I have slides of cars but was more incidental. I suppose I can see the rejection but with all the drone shots of rail yards lately......

Bob Jordan
RobJor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 05:46 PM   #3
Joe the Photog
A dude with a camera

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobJor View Post
A certain set of railfans might be attracted to the railroad mix of boxcars. Certainly another scene that has disappeared. Many kids of that era would watch every car looking for then the rail logos from all over the country. It was a way to connect to the railroads we would never see. Today trains often are 100 cars of the same thing.
Those box cars attracted my attention immediately. I remember the ones I used to see pass my grandma's house. Never saw most of these and I hate that. i notice there is no graffiti on those cars either.

It's a shame this photo was not accepted.
Old 01-14-2021, 05:58 PM   #4
Grewup on the CW

Thanks for sharing Doug. Lot of history in this photo and the best part is that NONE on the cars have graffiti sprayed painted on them. High sun is hard to conquer but a little edit could lighten the dark areas. Historical shots like this needs to have a place on RP.
Grewup on the CW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 06:13 PM   #5
bigbassloyd

Other than being oversharpened (or having the appearance of such), I think it would be a decent inclusion here.

Loyd L.

My personal photography site
bigbassloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2021, 06:46 PM   #6
Mberry

Nice one, just faved it on Flickr!
Mberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2021, 03:48 PM   #7
lefflerlad

Definitely should have a place here.
lefflerlad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2021, 08:37 AM   #8
TedG

Well that's unfortunate, because there's a lot to look at--and a lot to like--in this photo. Thanks for sharing it here, Doug. I appreciate getting to see it.

Not sure why the surprise at the lack of graffiti; it's 1977 after all.

/Ted
TedG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2021, 02:47 PM   #9
Grewup on the CW

Quote:
Originally Posted by TedG View Post
Not sure why the surprise at the lack of graffiti; it's 1977 after all.

/Ted
A quick search will yield that graffiti was around long before 77'. One article mentions the early origins (1967) of graffiti starting in Philadelphia, PA a mere 64 miles away from where this shot was taken. So while tagging the outside of trains was not the popular medium at the time, it was possible, as the inside of the trains (mainly subways) were already cluttered by 77'. Dated pictures from early as 72' shows graffiti on the inside and outside of subway trains in New York alone. I mentioned my appreciation of the lack of graffiti in this shot simply because that (the lack of graffiti) is not the norm nowadays and to see this many train cars from this many different RR's all in one location is quite the treat. I miss the days when people had respect for other peoples property.
Grewup on the CW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2021, 04:13 PM   #10
Decapod401

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grewup on the CW View Post
A quick search will yield that graffiti was around long before 77'. One article mentions the early origins (1967) of graffiti starting in Philadelphia, PA a mere 64 miles away from where this shot was taken. So while tagging the outside of trains was not the popular medium at the time, it was possible, as the inside of the trains (mainly subways) were already cluttered by 77'. Dated pictures from early as 72' shows graffiti on the inside and outside of subway trains in New York alone. I mentioned my appreciation of the lack of graffiti in this shot simply because that (the lack of graffiti) is not the norm nowadays and to see this many train cars from this many different RR's all in one location is quite the treat. I miss the days when people had respect for other peoples property.
I don't think that Ted's point had anything to do with the origins of graffiti. Back then, if it was seen on rolling stock at all, it was chalked on a car and much less obtrusive. It wasn't spray paint obliterating entire cars with illegible writing, and it didn't seriously detract from the car's appearance.

About a decade ago, I was in charge of several demonstration projects for a solar photovoltaic startup, and one of our sites was in Tucson. We needed some spray paint, and when I got to the hardware store, I found that it was under lock and key by state law. I would support that idea nationwide.

One of my favorite pieces of graffiti was actually quite large:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/149706...5/34321067800/

My RP Pics are HERE.

I've now got a Flickr. account, too.
Decapod401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2021, 08:19 PM   #11
RobJor

I think whatever graffiti there was back then it was on a much more modest scale, some small tagging, simple, something that probably couldn't even seen from a distance, no works of "Art".

Not sure of the years it changed but remember auto racks were open so besides viewing railroad logos kids could watch cars and play name that model. I rode from Spokane to Havre in the bed of a Ford Pickup in 1973 on the BN high line..

Bob
RobJor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2021, 05:54 PM   #12
TedG

CW,

I’m sure you’re right about the origins of graffiti. In fact, I can attest to its firm establishment on the NYC subway on the few occasions I had to ride it in the 1980s. (But then, graffiti on the NYC subway system wasn't really my concern.)

My only point is…it wasn’t until the late 90s (at least in my neck of the woods) that the problem extended to the railroads, and became so widespread that it adversely affected rail photography.

I can see by your last comments that we’re actually on the same page—both appreciating the lack of graffiti in Doug’s photo, and both missing the days when people respected the property of others.
/Ted
TedG is offline   Reply With Quote