Old 04-25-2014, 12:24 AM   #1
CSX1702

Default Foreign Power

Anyone else notice an increase in foreign power on the east coast? Maybe it's just in the Cincinnati area but there has been a lot of BNSF, UP, rentals, and who knows what else on CSX and NS trains......Or does anyone maybe know why there's been so much?

The other day I saw a completely NS led train on the CSX line in my hometown but I believe that that may have been a rerouted train.

This train had a shiny new BNSF loco leading, 2 UP's in the middle, and a warbonnet following on it:

Image © Derek Stewart
PhotoID: 472265
Photograph © Derek Stewart

UP loco:
Image © Derek Stewart
PhotoID: 473491
Photograph © Derek Stewart

UP, NS, BNSF: (You can see why I didn't upload this one....I had the wrong lens on and screwed it up...)
Click image for larger version

Name:	UPBNSF.JPG
Views:	81
Size:	614.1 KB
ID:	8545

Flickr

Out Of Place Album
CSX1702 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 04:19 PM   #2
J

Default Visiting Units

A significant increase in crude oil and grain traffic has tightened the availability of power. Compared to a regular intermodal or merchandise train much of this traffic goes "off line" without switching - hence the visitors. CP has had a major realignment of its operations (closed yards, etc.) and been able to lease some of their excess units. In addition, some older power has been pulled out of storage. Haven't seen much LTEX power like the all-black SP units roaming around lately. Guess it has all expired by now.
J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 08:42 PM   #3
Black_Knight

Post CN/CP/IC/ex-BSNF/ex-UP

Up here in Canada, we also see our fair share of foreign power. Even CN+CP units lashed up together and caught on video as well. Very odd that two rival companies in one consist.

Sharing video, not mine:

Black_Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 09:33 PM   #4
CSX1702

Quote:
Originally Posted by J View Post
A significant increase in crude oil and grain traffic has tightened the availability of power. Compared to a regular intermodal or merchandise train much of this traffic goes "off line" without switching - hence the visitors. CP has had a major realignment of its operations (closed yards, etc.) and been able to lease some of their excess units. In addition, some older power has been pulled out of storage. Haven't seen much LTEX power like the all-black SP units roaming around lately. Guess it has all expired by now.
Hm. I hadn't heard any of that. Thanks for the explanation, J.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black_Knight View Post
...Very odd that two rival companies in one consist.
Yeah. Just today I saw 2 CSX trains that had NS power on them. And one of them also had a rental on it.

Not that I'm complaining about the colorful lashups. Lol. Just curious about them.

Flickr

Out Of Place Album
CSX1702 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 02:26 PM   #5
RAF

Yes, there's been an increase of ethanol & oil trains in the Baltimore, MD area, and foreign power. I've seen UP, BNSF, CN & CP, & N/S on occasion. I've seen N/S's 'Nickel Plate Road' heritage unit twice so far.

Unfortunately, I'm usually going to or from work when I see these, & normally don't carry a camera with me.
RAF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 11:28 PM   #6
Black_Knight

Default Foreign Power in Canada

Here's a fresh video from today! Taken by yours truly.

Black_Knight is offline   Reply With Quote