Old 07-03-2013, 09:21 PM   #1
TheOldMan

Default Grand Strand Western

I just came back from a 45 mins or so visit to Grand Strand Western, in Myrtle Beach Mall, at Briarcliffe, South Carolina. They close at 4 PM on Wednesdays.

Looked over the 5 pages of this forum, and didn't see one on GSW.

Anyone stopped by GSW when in the Myrtle Beach area?

-John Fogherty, Green River
TheOldMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 09:04 PM   #2
TheOldMan

3:57 PM, Monday, and Grand Strand Western is operating at the Mall in Briarcliffe, S.C.

Maybe I should get off the Net, and go on down to GSW, and see what's going on there today!

Last visit a week or so before, was my first in a few weeks, and, since the last one, they had made many changes.

Previously, I had told them the skyline needed some traffic in it, maybe a space shuttle, a blimp air ship, or an old fashioned baloon?

Well, apparently someone at GSW was listening, and liked my idea, because there is now an airport on their larger scale tracks, (the ones with 3 rails, ac current), and, there is a helicopter flying around it.

Also, an ironic coincidence: I had send a friend of mine a link to a u-tube video of the Pine Island drawbridge being lowered for a hurricane, and he replied that watching it was like watching an amusement park ride.

Well, what else in addition to the airport and helicopter was on the east side of the larger scale tracks?

A bascule bridge, and, an amusement park, with a ferris wheel, and a merrygoround!

The bascule bridge is not now operating, and it's just one the ground, rather than over a river.

I asked some of the train crew members and they told me the drawbridge can be made operational, and they are planning to put a river below it, a river with a waterfall.

There is no end of the great things going on at GSW, and I'd urge anyone intersted in model trains, or just trains in general, to go by GSW, Monday, Wednesday, or Saturday afternoons, and see what they are up to!

Old 10-01-2013, 06:06 PM   #3
TheOldMan

After doing that last post, I did get off the net and go by GSW.

Not many non-members there, mostly members working on the layouts, so I got to talk to them, about future plans, and they have got future plans!

This time of year is slow as far as non-member visitors go, so if you don't like crowds, now would be a good time to visit.

About the only thing they don't have on GSW, is a Hobo Jungle. Maybe they have one, and I just haven't see it yet?

Or, maybe they don't have, a Hobo Jungle, and don't want one?

Or, GSW has good railroad detectives, who have kept the hobos off of their right of way?

Old 10-01-2013, 09:09 PM   #4
Mgoldman

http://www.gsmrrc.org/

/Mitch
Mgoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 03:01 PM   #5
TheOldMan

Default Thanks for the Link

Mitch, thanks for the link and the great photos.

I often can't tell the model railroads from the full sized thing in those photos!

To anyone reading this who hasn't visited GSW yet, and is interested, I know you'll like it if you do go by there, Monday, Wednesday, and/or Saturday afternoons.

Old 10-22-2013, 03:28 PM   #6
TheOldMan

Yesterday, I went to GSW, and forgot to put a donation into their box!

I'll do a double donation next time!

So far no progress on digging a canal, or a river below that recently installed on land bascule bridge. Asked and was told it doesn't have a siren or horn to warn everyone when it's being lowered.

The Model Railroad club has a show scheduled in the area.

Old 11-09-2013, 06:14 PM   #7
TheOldMan

It's now Saturday, November 9, 2013, 1:13 PM.

GSW's open to the public hours are 10 AM - 5 PM on saturday. I'm thinking about going there today after I get off the net.

Old 12-18-2013, 03:08 PM   #8
TheOldMan

Grand Strand Western is open today from 12:00 Noon-4:00 PM.

I'm planning to go by there.

The last time I dropped by, the bascule bridge was not yet working, but the crowds were much larger.

Old 12-19-2013, 07:22 PM   #9
TheOldMan

Yesterday, I took the bypass to Myrtle Beach, forgetting that the Mall is on US 17 business.

My business in Myrtle Beach being more important, I did not turn the car around, and head back to the mall for my usual 15 min-30 minutes with GSW.

Maybe next Mon, or Sat. I suppose they'll be closed on Wednesday.

Old 12-30-2013, 03:50 PM   #10
TheOldMan

GSW is open to the public today, from 4 PM till 7 PM.

Don't know if I'l go by there today or not.

Some of the trains, like the larger scale ones at the front of the room, run around in circles, and never back up, and run through some tunnels to a picture window where people walking by the mall can see them.

One of the crossing gates in that picture window section wasn't workinig a few weeks ago.

Wonder if anyone else noticed it and got it fixed.

Last time I was at GSW, on the HO scale layout, a very long train backed up from a siding, and got onto the main line where other trains were running.

At GSW there is always Construction In Progress.

I'ts a great place to visit.

Last edited by TheOldMan; 12-30-2013 at 03:54 PM.
Old 01-13-2014, 08:59 PM   #11
TheOldMan

It's now two weeks since that last post. Since then I did go by GSW on one occasion.

The bascule bridge was working, no siren, signals and river or canal below it, but it does go up and down.

The crossing gate on the track in the picture window is still doing about the same.

Very much construction going on at GSW.

Old 01-18-2014, 06:26 PM   #12
TheOldMan

Stopped by GSW on Wednesday of this week, hours open 12:00 noon to 4:00 PM.

After forgetting to last time, put a donation in the box.

Checked out the picture window in front, and the grade crossing gate now goes all the way down to parallel with the ground, so, glad to say my reporting that difficulty got results!

One thing that does need to be fine tuned with this grade crossing is, putting some distance between the 2 different passenger trains which run, in the same direction on two different tracks, both closed circular tracks, one track being very long and the other short.

Both tracks run through a tunnel through a mountain in the scenery opposite the picture window.

More distance between the 2 passenger trains would allow the crossing gate to go all the way up, before the next train approaches.

The large scale layout at the front of the GSW storefront, has much rolling stock, and on my Wednesday visit, a new addition: a train with six freight cars, and a Great Northern steam locomotive and tender and caboose.

Bill is the roadmaster of these tracks, and he does a great job of keeping the trains running.

Also, everyone, on this, and the smaller gauge tracks, all do a great job, and I'd like to say thanks to everyone at GSW for being so nice to be open to the public 3 days a week.

Old 02-06-2014, 05:54 PM   #13
TheOldMan

Went by GSW yesterday. Lot of visitors there, and a lot going on that I'll tell about in my next post.

Old 02-19-2014, 08:27 PM   #14
TheOldMan

Default GSW Update

Finally got the time to report on my visit to GSW two weeks ago,on Wednesday, Feb 5 of this year.

Still learning the terminology of model railroads, as well as full size railroads.

The larges operating model trains at GSW are O scale, also called Lionel box scale, located at the front, right side of the storefront as you enter.

There are some much larger pieces of rolling stock, used for donation boxes, and when I stop by today, maybe I'll learn what the scale of those cars is.

The crossing gates I have told about on the O scale layout, which run thru tunnels into the picture window of the storefront, are still being worked on.

I always give a copy of my latest posts to Railpictures.net to Bill, Roadmaster ofthe O scale layout, and hope he can enlighten me on more model and full scale railroad terminology.

The bascule bridge on the O scale layout was gone on Feb 5, the track undergoing a surface lift to make it level with the bridge.

Maybe it will be back in operation, still with no river below it, today.

I met Rob, for the first time, and he working on the models.

On the N scale, sometimes called "postage stamp" layout, 9mm between the rails, Fred was running 3 Santa Fe diesel locomotives, two PA-1s front and rear with a cabless PD-1 between them.

These 3 locomotives had been in storage for 5 years and were undergoing a warm up.

Fred was planning to use these 3 locomotivesto pull a 12 car passenger train, which hopefully will be running today.

It's great the GSW members are working on that crossing gate in the picture window.

I did mention to the GSWers that they should paint "Big Rock Candy Mountains" on some of those mountains in the background scenery, and also have a hobo jungle, but so far, they haven't taken my suggestions.

I can't have everything, can I?

Speaking of Hobos, I remember when visiting the Waccamaw Coastline depot ca springof 1991, there was a statue of a hobo in the lobby.

Old 03-05-2014, 08:01 PM   #15
TheOldMan

Default GSW Update, Wednesday, March 5, 2014

It's now 2:37 PM, Wednesday, March 5, 2014.

The lastime I wrote up a report on my visit to GSW, of Wednesday, February 19, I got there at 11 minutes past 4:00 PM, closing time.

So, I went by there on Saturday, February 22.

I'd better watch the clock today if I want to get there before closing time!

On my last visit, Saturday, February 22, I asked Bill, Roadmaster of the O scale about the much larger scale boxcars and other rolling stock used for donation boxes, and he told me that scale was G Scale.

I asked Bill if a working G scale layout might possibly be installed at GSW, and he said it was possible, and if done, a G scale layout would be put on shelving on the wall higher up than the smaller scale layouts.

One new thing Inoticed, was that the N scale layout had been extended, via a tunnel, into the back room.

The bascule bridge is still being worked on.

I did most of my note-taking on the N scale layout, where I met Frank, who was runing his Santa Fe passenger train, with 12 cars, and 6 locomotives, like the one that Fred was running on my visit previous to the one of Febryuary 22.

That train was headed by 6 locomotives, a combination of had units with cabless B units between them.

Estimates are that the N gauge layout has 25 locomotives and five passenger trains, one of them in the yard, a Frisco train, with 5 passenger cars, with a top observation car, followed by the end car, a rounded observation car.

Gotta get off the Net and down to GSW if I want to see what's going on there today.

Old 04-27-2014, 03:34 PM   #16
RAF

Just noticed this thread.

Yes, we stopped by twice last year while on vacation. Awesome layouts, & the people there are extremely nice.
RAF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 03:43 PM   #17
TheOldMan

Will try to write up some more when I can.

I did stop by Easter Weekend, and the crowds were very big.

Ed told me that attendance since moving to the Mall, has been greater than when the club was located in downtown Myrtle Beach, in Ed's Hobby Shop.

I stopped by on Saturday of last week.

On my first vist, I asked what Grand Strand Western was West of, and was given the answer that I had already thought of, the Atlantic Ocean.

Old 06-28-2014, 01:11 PM   #18
RAF

We're heading down to M/B next weekend. I'm sure we'll stop by a time or two.
Old 07-04-2014, 07:54 PM   #19
TheOldMan

Default Planning To Stop By

RAF:

I am planning to stop by GSW tomorrow afternoon.

Maybe I'll get to see you there.

Old 07-19-2014, 09:12 PM   #20
RAF

We got down to MB on the 5th, didn't get a chance to get by the GSW until the 16th. A few of the guys there remembered us from last year...great group.
Old 07-26-2014, 04:18 PM   #21
TheOldMan

Glad to got to stop by this year, RAF. I didn't get to see you since I didn't go to GSW on July 16th. Maybe next year.

Old 08-02-2015, 04:24 PM   #22
RAF

We didn't get the chance to stop in this year. We did go into Bass Pro one time & I checked to see if they were open...they were closed.
Old 08-04-2015, 10:04 PM   #23
TheOldMan

Thanks for the reply.

I go to GSW fairly frequently, but just haven't felt that I had anything to say to update this thread, although I have taken some photos.

I feel like their own photos on their own webpage might be far better than I could ever do.

Old 10-29-2015, 09:10 PM   #24
TheOldMan

I'm now in Conway, South Carolina, after driving my car down Depot Road(the Old U.S. 501, so named because of Waccamaw Coastline's cute little Santa Fe deopt at Red Hill).

The road is finally re-opened, and I was surprised that there seemed to be no noticeable damage to the roadbed or track, although at the Highway 90 overpass bridge, a bit of the ground was washed out.

I'm not going to drive my car down Depot Road until it is repaved!

The pavement condition is horrible! Yet, I encountered a good many cars and trucks on Depot Road.

Next, as I get onto the dreaded U.S. 501 I will chedk out the RJ Corman locomotive on display where the 501 Business and Bypass highways meet.