Old 03-28-2007, 07:31 PM   #1
lwhistler

Default Graffiti on the rail cars.

I find the Graffiti on the rail cars to be very annoying and it ruins the pictures, 20 years a go this wasn't a problem. Do others find the Graffiti to be a problem?
www.Stubby.ca

Last edited by lwhistler; 03-28-2007 at 07:35 PM. Reason: grammar
lwhistler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 08:13 PM   #2
Pat Lorenz

I do not find the graffiti on the rail cars a problem, i dont like it, but i dont find it a problem.

However, i do find graffiti on locomotives a problem, and i wont take a picture of a train with graffiti on the locomotive.

My real problem is dirt and grime. That is a big problem especially on Union Pacific locomotives. They are usually not well cleaned if at all. So that is my problem, that dirt just ruins a photograph.
Pat Lorenz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 10:01 PM   #3
Railfan Ohio

I agree with Pat. I don't like graffiti on cars, but I accept that it won't go away. At the same time, I hate graffiti on locomotives because many times it ruins the paint scheme and can take away the history of that unit.

B&O: the First, the Best
Pennsy: the Standard, but still #2

My pix:http://www.railpictures.net/showphotos.php?userid=11344
Railfan Ohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 10:14 PM   #4
Lee Baxter

I dont like graffiti on locomotives, but would still take pictures of it. Having said this i find Murals of graffiti very interesting and have been taking pictures of it since about 1985. Regards Lee
Lee Baxter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 10:14 PM   #5
Ween

Quote:
I hate graffiti on locomotives because many times it ruins the paint scheme and can take away the history of that unit.
How so? Doesn't it add to the history? Looking back through the prism of time you could say of a particular unit, "Hey, remember when somebody with a pea-sized brain tagged this unit with their gang symbol and it ran that way from 2002-2004 before it hit the paint shop in October '04 and got cleaned up?"

Don't get me wrong, I'm not an advocate of graffiti, but it's part of the scene, just like dirt. By not capturing it on film/digital, you're letting history roll right by you...
Old 03-28-2007, 10:56 PM   #6
bnsf sammy

Personally I like graffiti and enjoy taking pictures of it. It makes the freight railcar/locomotive have an even more unique paint scheme. However, I don't think it belongs on passenger equipment.
Image © BNSF SAMMY
PhotoID: 170675
Photograph © BNSF SAMMY
Old 03-28-2007, 11:26 PM   #7
ssw9662

While it is definitely something that will not go away anytime soon and I'm not the type of person that would not get a photo of an engine just because there's graffiti on it, I really don't have any use for graffiti. When I take rolling stock photos I always like to get photos of the cars without graffiti on them, since it really gives the car a more pure look to it. Nothing looks worse to me than a dirty locomotive or freight car with fresh graffiti on it, it really ruins the aged appearance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tåg
That should be on the opening page of the UP website.
Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM
Canon 50mm f/1.8
My Railpictures.net Photos
flickr

Last edited by ssw9662; 03-28-2007 at 11:30 PM.
ssw9662 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 11:28 PM   #8
Tåg

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnsf sammy
Personally I like graffiti and enjoy taking pictures of it. It makes the freight railcar/locomotive have an even more unique paint scheme. However, I don't think it belongs on passenger equipment.
Image © BNSF SAMMY
Photograph © BNSF SAMMY
That should be on the opening page of the UP website.
Old 03-29-2007, 12:21 AM   #9
Mike B.
Banned

For the most part, I enjoy graffiti. I do not like it one bit when a engine is tagged or a rare railcar though. There are plently of smart graffiti artists who know not to paint engines or over initials/numbers. Of course, with everything there are a few people with no respect that ruin it for the good people.
About the only other time I am bothered by graffiti is when it ruins the uniform look of a unit train.
If you see enough rail graffiti, you'll realize that some of these people are very talented. They should just find a better place to do it is all.
Mike B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 02:51 AM   #10
Railfan Ohio

Ween that's what I'm talking about. People no longer remember the venerable SD9 that has been around since the '50's, but as the unit that got tagged. What I am getting at is it rewrites the unit's history.

B&O: the First, the Best
Pennsy: the Standard, but still #2

My pix:http://www.railpictures.net/showphotos.php?userid=11344
Railfan Ohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 12:42 PM   #11
Arne H. B.

I think for my own personal taste graffiti does take away from the photographic quality of rail equipment, but even worse just think how it has contributed to security along the rails. How many times have you been threatened to have the police come and get you for being at a station, even at the waiting platform? I know that isn't all from graffiti but I am sure that has something to do with it. I always let out a disappointed sigh when i see an old caboose that has been completely tagged out. I always loved how you can see old road names on rolling stock decades after the RR went under, but once it has been Krylon'd over what good is it for photo's anymore? Maybe graffiti does add history to equipment, but in my humble opinion it just looks better without it. -Arne Brown
Arne H. B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 06:00 PM   #12
WetRailsWA

Send a message via MSN to WetRailsWA

Quote:
Image © BNSF SAMMY
Photograph © BNSF SAMMY
That engine is like watching a car wreck in slow motion - oddly alluring and captivating. How on earth did someone have enough time to finish that 'mural' on the side? It must have taken hours!

While I don't advocate someone spray painting on private property like this, I would have to say it adds to the shot.

WetRailsWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2007, 01:01 AM   #13
Bill

Ordinary tagging is an eyesore...but occasionally you'll see an inspired piece that truly resembles art.

Here's one of my personal favorites....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_9240-2.jpg (171.8 KB, 375 views)
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2007, 01:48 AM   #14
bigiron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill
Ordinary tagging is an eyesore...but occasionally you'll see an inspired piece that truly resembles art.

Here's one of my personal favorites....
Bill,

As unfortunate as it is painting on others property, I have said to myself after seeing some of the graffiti on rail property, some of these painters do have a talent that is worth a good deal on the right CANVAS! Also, like the car you posted, it does show the ability of one and I ofter wonder, how do they get enough time to pull it off? I would think some are started and then finished by others that like what they see.

On the bright side, the more layers of paint the less chance of rust anytime soon .

Rich Clark
bigiron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2007, 02:56 AM   #15
Mike B.
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigiron
I ofter wonder, how do they get enough time to pull it off? I would think some are started and then finished by others that like what they see.
I can assure you that does not happen. The only time this is done is to paint over another persons work out of disrespect. The graffiti artists often become quite knowledgeable about operations to ensure their safety/not getting caught. The big pieces like the one Bill posted are often done in small secluded yards.
Old 04-01-2007, 07:30 AM   #16
Andrew Blaszczyk (2)

Send a message via AIM to Andrew Blaszczyk (2) Send a message via Yahoo to Andrew Blaszczyk (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill
I'm with Bill on this one, it is definitely disrespectful AND illegal, but sometimes there are some that you cannot help but admire. In 2005 I got lucky enough to see one of the most famous works of art in Philadelphia. It's absolutely incredible!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg AMTRAKBOXCAR.jpg (401.3 KB, 330 views)

"My camera is an artistic medium, not a tool of terrorism."

www.ab2photography.com Coming soon!
My photos on RailPictures:
http://www.railpictures.net/showphotos.php?userid=960
Andrew Blaszczyk (2) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 02:57 PM   #17
bigiron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike B.
I can assure you that does not happen. The only time this is done is to paint over another persons work out of disrespect. The graffiti artists often become quite knowledgeable about operations to ensure their safety/not getting caught. The big pieces like the one Bill posted are often done in small secluded yards.

Mike, I think you misunderstood what I said. I didn't say "paint over", just complete something that was started. If you look at Andrew's shot or Bill's, the actual amount of time would be rather substantial and unless it sat in one spot for a long amount of time undisturbed, the work would leave incomplete, IMO.

Either way, they should get a job that will pay them for the talent and not break the law in doing what we are talking about. In closing, it seems even the new cars get painted quickly these days and the percentage of graffiti has ballooned in the last five years from what I can see.

Rich Clark
bigiron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 06:10 PM   #18
bnsf sammy

Well according to Trains Magazine, most large graffiti works are done with the help of several graffiti artists each working a specific section. This saves a lot of time and could probably be done in a couple hours.
Old 04-01-2007, 08:54 PM   #19
Mike B.
Banned

Quote:
Well according to Trains Magazine, most large graffiti works are done with the help of several graffiti artists each working a specific section. This saves a lot of time and could probably be done in a couple hours.
Yes, that is not uncommon. It isn't likely that someone will start a piece and not get in finished in time and then someone else to finish it down the road. Peoples styles are too different for this to work, the piece wouldn't flow. In the pic andrew posted, you can clearly see the different styles of the graffiti artists all working together.
Old 04-02-2007, 12:43 AM   #20
Studogg120

Taggers do their work very fast. One person could paint a section (about 5'x10') of giant letters in about 10-15 minutes. Maybe even less.
Studogg120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 07:00 AM   #21
Tåg

There is an old WP boxcar that shows up now and then with a giant Stewie and Brian from Family Guy on its side.

Now I am not talking about the big dumb graffiti that most people think about, but I love the small chalk tags done by hobos. Unless you work for the railroad or hop trains you will probablly never see one.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bb39.jpg (25.9 KB, 257 views)