Old 04-08-2007, 10:57 AM   #1
devights
Stephen De Vight

Default Google Maps: Magic for Railfans

So Google maps has a new feature which allows you to create your own "personalized" maps using your Google account. You can then share these maps. What makes this really amazing is that you can link to pictures on each point you make, so it's perfect for documenting trips or just showing off your local work.

To give you an idea how this works I made a map using work from Mike Bjork and myself of stuff we've shot in the greater Seattle area. Click on the blue dots to see a shot from that area.

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UT...1c5ca647&msa=0

This would be a really awesome tool for trips, if you could see a map from someone who is familiar with the area beforehand it would certainly make finding decent locations for shots easier.
devights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 12:30 PM   #2
JRMDC

Super effort? How much time did it take to put that together?

I was an infrequent visitor to Seattle, so this would have been great for me. Alas, my inlaws are moving and I don't see any more trips that way, too bad, I really liked visiting.

BTW, how about some more locations. There is the one I call Amgen, I've seen it referred to as Galer Street:

Image © Janusz Mrozek
PhotoID: 181288
Photograph © Janusz Mrozek

And the UP engine facility - the name escapes me, but in South Seattle? It is so cool the way you can stand so close to the engines.

Anyway, great stuff, and certainly something for anyone doing a website to consider as part of the package.

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 08:53 PM   #3
devights
Stephen De Vight

It actually didn't take much time at all, I basically found a pic on RP, scrolled the map to the location, clicked on a button to place a marker there, clicked on the "link image" button, pasted the image link from RP and I was done.
I'm planning on adding more locations, if only it were possible to make it publicly editable, then we could have a complete US map of most of our pictures. Perhaps a shared google account...
Old 04-09-2007, 01:39 AM   #4
Ween

Maybe I'm missing it, but is there anyway to link to the full-size image? I'm only able to pull up a small thumbnail of the shot when I click on the blue marker.
Old 04-10-2007, 12:30 AM   #5
devights
Stephen De Vight

Yeah, I could have provided a link instead of what it is now, but I was attempting to demonstrate the capability of the thing without taking too much time. What one could do is use the thumbnail (so someone can see the picture) and make that image a link, or provide a link below it, to the full image, or perhaps the image page on RP.
Old 04-10-2007, 03:32 AM   #6
John Fladung
JohnFladung.net

Anyone use Google Earth? Now that is great for finding that roadbed and track you've been looking for!
John Fladung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 06:43 AM   #7
Ween

I dorked around for only about 5 minutes (and that includes time creating a Google account) just now and was able to mark a spot, attach a photo, and add a hyperlink to the RP page where the photo came from.

This feature will be great for:

- Showing exactly where a shot was taken
- Guide one on how to get there if not from the area
- Any number of other awesome things!

I look forward to adding this feautre to my Yahoo! Group sometime in the very near future!
Old 07-06-2007, 02:36 AM   #8
Everywhere West

Default Google maps

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Fladung
Anyone use Google Earth? Now that is great for finding that roadbed and track you've been looking for!
I find it one of the best tools of the internet. Your own imagination is the only limit.
"You ain't stopping at this hotel, kid. My hotel! The stars at night, I put 'em there. And I know the presidents, all of them. And I go where I damn well please. Even the chairman of the New York Central can't do it better. My road, kid, and I don't give lessons and I don't take partners. Your ass don't ride this train!"
Everywhere West is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2007, 06:59 PM   #9
Mustang11

I totally agree, Google Earth is perfect for exploring new areas. So is my gps actually which I was thrilled to see after I bought it that it showed railroad tracks and even yards.

Brian

My RailPictures.net Photos -- My fotopic.net Photos
Graphic Design & Photography portfolio site
Mustang11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2007, 05:50 AM   #10
Cyclonetrain

Send a message via AIM to Cyclonetrain Send a message via Yahoo to Cyclonetrain

maps.live.com has much better quality imagery atleast around the chicago area, so good that I can see the basketball hoop on the side of my house!
Cyclonetrain is offline   Reply With Quote