Old 04-12-2007, 07:03 PM   #26
JRMDC

That's a scan of a 4x6 print? Very good quality, I am surprised!

For the heck of it, I should try scanning a print on my cheap flatbed at home, maybe the quality will be good enough for 1024x683 level work.

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 11:02 PM   #27
Pat Lorenz

Well, back a few years when i shot prints, i flatbed scanned 4x6 prints. They could have been better, but i was way new to scanning and had not know much of photoshop. However my new slide scanner can do it staight from negitives, so i might re submit some if i got time. the last page or so of my railpictures are prints
Pat Lorenz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 02:45 AM   #28
a231pacific

By the way, nice to see the new Grand Canyon paint scheme has dropped that stupid 800 number and the url from the side of the engine! Plus it's a better looking paint scheme too! Thanks for sharing!

Michael Allen
a231pacific is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2007, 11:38 AM   #29
M.L.Gabert

Talking

For what it's worth, I use color neg film for a lot of pics on RP before going digi, I found that Fuji Reala or Kodak 100 UC worked best. Then I would just have the rolls developed to disc.
Mike
M.L.Gabert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 12:45 AM   #30
RR-Watcher

You shouldn't even make photos if you are going to scan the images. making a photo and then scanning from the photo is two steps of distortion. its like taking a VHS tape and copying it and then copying the copy the image degrades. You want to scan the film directly whether it is negatives or slides. I have used a company on the internet called
http://www.discountdigitalart.com
They did a good job for me, be careful with the internet scanning companies though, I learned through hunting for these guys that some of them ship your slides to other countries for cheap processing and I wasn't comfortable with that.
RR-Watcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 01:02 AM   #31
JRMDC

Yup, as was mentioned on the other thread, scammer, first two posts on RP, revives two way-old threads just to drop in a company name.

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 05:44 AM   #32
JimThias

This pretty much sums it up: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Thias
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 09:26 AM   #33
Mark Bau

This thread seems to be go all over the place. I've been developing/printing B&W and colour since the late 70's. I have also been digitising negs and slides for over 10 years so I'm hoping a couple of my observations might clear things up.

If you want to shoot film only to then digitise them you'll have to ask yourself why wouldn't you just shoot digital in the first place?

If you have no compelling reason to shoot film but will want to digitise them at some later stage a couple of things are worth bearing in mind. First you will have to decide between positive (slide) film or negative (print) film. For many years scanners didn't cope very well with negative films so most photography done for publication used slide film. Nowadays you can buy a dedicated slide scanner and the software has no trouble at all with negative film. Slide film has one major disadvantage, it is generally more contrasty than a same speed negative film, this is important at the scanning stage as only very expensive scanners can truly handle the higher contrast of slide films. I have a Nikon 5000 scanner which costs about A $1500 and it does a decent job on E6 films but contrasty film like the old Kodachrome 64 can be a battle if there is even a hint of underexposure on the original.

Forget about scanning prints except as a last resort. You will simply not get near the quality possible when compared to a scan from a negative or a slide. Also, don't expect a flatbed scanner with a transparency adaptor to perform miracles, they simply do not have the dynamic range that a dedicated slide scanner has. Don't worry about a scanners dpi (all scanners have more than enough dpi for most uses), the only specification to look at is its dynamic range.

Personally, if I was choosing a colour film for scanning I would go with a negative film, I wouldn't have said this 5 years ago but now the software does a great job with negative film and negative film has the advantage of being inherently less contrasty.

Hope this helps

Last edited by Mark Bau; 03-14-2009 at 09:49 AM.
Mark Bau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 09:41 AM   #34
milwman
I shoot what I like

Send a message via Yahoo to milwman

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottychaos View Post
dont scan prints if you have the negs!

Scot
100% right on

http://www.flickr.com/photos/22299476@N05/
milwman is offline   Reply With Quote