Old 01-02-2009, 02:26 AM   #26
JimThias

Quote:
Originally Posted by UCRP93
To top it off, usually they don't know as much about trains as me, so I don't find enjoyment out of talking to them.
I'm just the opposite. Other railfans typically know much more about trains than me. Some people are in it for the knowledge, but I'm not. Just give me a good photo op and I'm happy.

So, you can't find other things to talk about when you meet other railfans? Women? Sports? Current events? Why does meeting other railfans always have to result in talking about trains?
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 03:01 AM   #27
stevenmwelch

Send a message via AIM to stevenmwelch Send a message via Yahoo to stevenmwelch

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimThias
So, you can't find other things to talk about when you meet other railfans? Women? Sports? Current events? Why does meeting other railfans always have to result in talking about trains?
I always find something to talk about other then trains, even if it takes making fun of someone...

Usually I'll just show off my mediocre shots on my laptop, or, surf the net if applicable.
My Photos on RP
My RP Rejects and then Some
stevenmwelch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 05:23 AM   #28
UCRP93

Quote:
I'm just the opposite. Other railfans typically know much more about trains than me. Some people are in it for the knowledge, but I'm not. Just give me a good photo op and I'm happy.

Guess I could've worded it better, huh?

I meant that if I'm trackside, the first thing that comes to mind to talk about is trains. It usually is the conversation starter. You cannot just walk up to someone and start in on women or something. And if they are clueless about trains, then I really cannot feel a way to negotiate the conversation to something more discussable. Trains usually are the start to all railfan conversations.
UCRP93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 12:54 PM   #29
PRRGreg

I can easily see this question going either way. I've met many people who have introduced me to different locations to shoot from, places to visit, what roads to use to chase a particular line. On the other hand, meeting "that railfan guy" mentioned before, with 10 too many buttons, or wrong information that just needs to be spread, kills any desire to interact with people.
Turning this conversation another way, Iíve recently moved to a new location, and in the past 7 months Iíve only seen one other rail fan, who didnít know the area. What have other members found to be good sources for shot locations and such other than people who are familiar with the area. So far, my best resource has been yahoo groups, any other recommendations?
PRRGreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 03:09 PM   #30
JimThias

Quote:
Guess I could've worded it better, huh?

I meant that if I'm trackside, the first thing that comes to mind to talk about is trains. It usually is the conversation starter. You cannot just walk up to someone and start in on women or something. And if they are clueless about trains, then I really cannot feel a way to negotiate the conversation to something more discussable. Trains usually are the start to all railfan conversations.
So you couldn't carry on a non-train-related conversation with me if I wasn't able to converse about useless technical railroad info from the getgo?
Old 01-02-2009, 03:21 PM   #31
Joey Bowman

Quote:
So you couldn't carry on a non-train-related conversation with me if I wasn't able to converse about useless technical railroad info from the getgo?

I know I couldnt.

Any railfan or railroad employee that I have ever talked that doesnt want to talk about trains wants to either wants to talk sports (I dont watch sports) or wants to talk about Startrek (Dont care for that either)

So usually I just dont talk
Joey Bowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 04:32 PM   #32
JimThias

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Bowman
I know I couldnt.

Any railfan or railroad employee that I have ever talked that doesnt want to talk about trains wants to either wants to talk sports (I dont watch sports) or wants to talk about Startrek (Dont care for that either)

So usually I just dont talk
Wow, talk about anti-social.
Old 01-02-2009, 05:21 PM   #33
stevenmwelch

Send a message via AIM to stevenmwelch Send a message via Yahoo to stevenmwelch

Quote:
I meant that if I'm trackside, the first thing that comes to mind to talk about is trains. It usually is the conversation starter.
Really? I admit I talk about trains a bit while with a group shooting, but usually we're admiring other things that move while waiting for a train. It all depends on who I'm with, I fan with the brother of a well known dispatcher in my area, and then some of his friends too, all of which rather talk about trains and politics. After talking about trains, I usually have to get up and walk away since I'm not the biggest fan of politics.

Quote:
You cannot just walk up to someone and start in on women or something. And if they are clueless about trains, then I really cannot feel a way to negotiate the conversation to something more discussable. Trains usually are the start to all railfan conversations.
Ehh... Agreed I guess. Since I have all the information usually of what's coming and when, it's "do the run down" and pull out the lineup from my pocket and then we decide what to catch and where to catch it.

Janusz will find that out next week, when I pull out a paper with all the trains that will be showing for the day, and when.
My Photos on RP
My RP Rejects and then Some
stevenmwelch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 05:48 PM   #34
MDH

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRRGreg
What have other members found to be good sources for shot locations and such other than people who are familiar with the area. So far, my best resource has been yahoo groups, any other recommendations?
To answer that - depending on where you are some of the online mapping sites can be really useful (like maps.live.com or Google maps, etc.) although how current and detailed the images are comes into play. Seeing what other rp.net photographers have come up with in a given area can also be useful (although not for 'scouting new sites' per se - unless you're looking for "new to you").

I have a co-worker that's also a fan and we go out on lunches regularly. Otherwise I'm largely solo although I run into some other locals from time to time. This site's been great for improving my skills.
MDH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 08:13 PM   #35
UCRP93

Quote:
I could, you'd just have to specify what you're interested in talking about.
Like Joey Bowman said, alot of people start talking about stuff I have no interest or knowledge in, like Sports and Politics. You might as well be talking to a brick wall, rather than to me, about these topics.
Usually my conversations stay related to trains though, when talking to other railfans. They'll tell me where they've been, or if they're new to the area, they may ask me several questions about signals/trains etc.
Old 01-02-2009, 08:31 PM   #36
JimThias

Quote:
I could, you'd just have to specify what you're interested in talking about.
Like Joey Bowman said, alot of people start talking about stuff I have no interest or knowledge in, like Sports and Politics. You might as well be talking to a brick wall, rather than to me, about these topics.
Usually my conversations stay related to trains though, when talking to other railfans. They'll tell me where they've been, or if they're new to the area, they may ask me several questions about signals/trains etc.
Wow, so what happens when you meet people outside of railfanning? Do you ask them to specify what they'd like to talk about?
Old 01-02-2009, 09:11 PM   #37
UCRP93

Jim, the issue in question here is talking to others you meet while trackside.
Not what I talk about with others outside of railfanning.....
I am making this way too complicated, aren't I?
Old 01-02-2009, 10:03 PM   #38
JimThias

Quote:
Jim, the issue in question here is talking to others you meet while trackside.
Not what I talk about with others outside of railfanning.....
Oh, ok...I was just checking to see if you were capable of carrying on a non-technical train conversation with someone trackside, based on this comment:

Quote:
To top it off, usually they don't know as much about trains as me, so I don't find enjoyment out of talking to them.
So what you're saying is if they don't possess the same train knowledge, then you can't find anything ELSE enjoyable to discuss with them?
Old 01-02-2009, 11:26 PM   #39
Freericks
Met Fan

This is starting to remind me of the "I am lying" episode on Star Trek... which is definetely one of the best... you know the Jets are going to be totally in the playoff next year... and you know why? Matt Cassell... I'm telling you... the Pats are going to let him go... the thing is, the transition problem on GP35s... wasn't the reason the railroads went for U25Bs... I know because my father's best friend was in the mechanical department at Frisco.

Okay... I think I just annoyed myself.
Freericks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 12:35 AM   #40
UCRP93

Quote:
Oh, ok...I was just checking to see if you were capable of carrying on a non-technical train conversation with someone trackside, based on this comment:

So what you're saying is if they don't possess the same train knowledge, then you can't find anything ELSE enjoyable to discuss with them?
I can, I am just being difficult.
Old 01-03-2009, 01:39 AM   #41
TheRoadForeman
Banned

Quote:

Jim,
I could not agree with that more! I actually have better things to do than sit trackside for days waiting for the "perfect light" and only talk shop to other railfans, that is silly! I in fact, try not to devulge that I am an actual railroader to fellow railfans along the road simply because it leads to hours of Q&A from the unknowing. When I am out, I'm a photographer, not a railroader.

-- Kevin
TheRoadForeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 03:34 AM   #42
TheRoadForeman
Banned

Thumbs down

Quote:
Other railfans are generally a pain. Unless I'm going to a railroad hotspot like Berea, Greenwich, Fostoria, or something like that, I'd prefer to just not see a railfan. They seem to get in my way, make noise through my videos, always try to talk about something I don't care about, and more! I especially hate it when they arrive after you, and then get in your way and refuse to move.

To top it off, usually they don't know as much about trains as me, so I don't find enjoyment out of talking to them. I like to hang with several railfans. None of them you guys probably know, but I like railfanning with Marty Surdyk, Tim Sullivan, Jim Mastromatteo, Dennis Taksar and Rich Antibus. Although Marty can get too hung up on location, to the point he won't shoot stopped trains, or rare locomotives, if it isn't in a good location. Jim HAS to chase every Wheeling & Lake Erie train for miles or else!! Tim does not travel far enough to get the shot, and when I agree to chase trains with him, he gets bored with it too quick.

When capable to drive on my own, I'd prefer to railfan by myself, or with the aforementioned friends, despite their annoyances. The only problem with railfanning with someone else, is then you have to put up with their bodily functions and appetites. So, as you can see, I am irritable, and would rather just railfan on my own. Call me grumpy.
"To top it off, usually they don't know as much about trains as me.." Who do you talk to?! Meet me track side and rap your game to me! Maybe, just maybe, I'll play dumb and let you tell me how it is, get real and get a life! I forgot more about railroading than you WILL EVER KNOW!! I don't care if your a friend of a dispatchers brother! I know MUCH more than him, trust me! Being in the field is better than sitting in the comfort of a chair! Don't believe me? Want to debate this?
I really take exception to people that are not railroaders but claim to have the knowledge.

-- Kevin R. Kohler, Supervisor of Locomotive Engineers.

Last edited by TheRoadForeman; 01-03-2009 at 04:15 AM.
Old 01-03-2009, 03:38 AM   #43
UCRP93

TheRoadForeman - I understand where you're coming from. My friend, Dave Mangold, who works for Norfolk Southern as a locomotive engineer, tries to avoid heavily railfan-populated areas, because he is sick of answering question after question about trains. Usually people ask what kind of paycheck he makes, what it's like to operate trains, if he waves/toots the horn for railfans and etc. I have been guilty of several questions like this before, but try not to smother railroaders with questions.
Old 01-03-2009, 03:41 AM   #44
UCRP93

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRoadForeman
"To top it off, usually they don't know as much about trains as me.." Who do you talk to?! Meet me track side and rap your game to me! Maybe, just maybe, I'll play dumb and let you tell me how it is, get real and get a life! I forgot more about railroading than you WILL EVER KNOW!! I don't care if your a friend of a dispatchers brother! I know MUCH more than him, trust me! Being in the field is better than sitting in the comfort of a chair! Don't believe me? Want to debate this? Phone, 570-777-3115, call me! I really take exception to people that are not railroaders but claim to have the knowledge. Jim Thias, this is the real deal, I'll let you know if this guy calls me!!

-- Kevin R. Kohler, Supervisor of Locomotive Engineers.
I deleted this to reduce the probability of further friction from other members.

Last edited by UCRP93; 01-03-2009 at 03:58 AM.
Old 01-03-2009, 03:42 AM   #45
TheRoadForeman
Banned

The point is with my come back is simple.... You act like you are the authority according to how you throw down on here! Not with me tough guy!

-- Kevin
Old 01-03-2009, 03:45 AM   #46
UCRP93

Quote:
The point is with my come back is simple.... You act like you are the authority according to how you throw down on here! Not with me tough guy!

-- Kevin
I'm not trying to be a tough guy. I admit that I was wrong for how I worded it. At the local hotspots, (such as Berea, Fostoria), I usually am more knowledgeable about the ins and outs than the run-of-the-mill, once in a while visitor, railfan. I was by no means trying to be condescending. Sorry if I sounded that way. I have changed the original post to make it less offensive. Can we forget about this, and move on? It wasn't meant to cause problems.
Old 01-03-2009, 03:46 AM   #47
TheRoadForeman
Banned

I'm quite calm, understand that I had a guy tell me for an hour that there is no such thing as a GP-10! I was running one at the time! I don't like the cocky unknowing attitudes out there. When I'm trackside, I'm a photographer, not a railroader.

-- Kevin
Old 01-03-2009, 03:48 AM   #48
TheRoadForeman
Banned

I'm not upset at you. Just understand that a ton of railfans have this attitude and it does get old. No harm, no foul scooter! I don't get upset over the little stuff.

-- Kevin
Old 01-03-2009, 03:53 AM   #49
UCRP93

Quote:
I'm quite calm, understand that I had a guy tell me for an hour that there is no such thing as a GP-10! I was running one at the time! I don't like the cocky unknowing attitudes out there. When I'm trackside, I'm a photographer, not a railroader.

-- Kevin
I am not really that way. I was referring to my local hotspots, and to the average railfans that visit them. Most railfans don't visit these spots as much as me, so I have to fill them in on alot of things. I was by no means trying to sound condescending. And when I said "I don't find as much enjoyment out of talking to them", I was meaning because they ask tons and tons of questions, and it can become a bit obnoxious under some instances. Usually I am up to answering the questions though, and like to help budding railfans. Like the end of my original post indicates, I was just trying to have some fun, and be a sour puss. Please forgive me.

Jim - YES, YES and YES, I can carry on a normal conversation, in case you come onto the forums and further continue the back-and-forth about whether I can carry on a conversation or not. Usually I only talk about and rate....I mean...discuss women with the railfans I know.
Old 01-03-2009, 06:16 AM   #50
JimThias

Quote:

Jim - YES, YES and YES, I can carry on a normal conversation, in case you come onto the forums and further continue the back-and-forth about whether I can carry on a conversation or not. Usually I only talk about and rate....I mean...discuss women with the railfans I know.
I was just bustin' your balls.