Old 11-03-2016, 07:33 PM   #1
baggydave

Default Ever eager to understand can someone please enlighten me?

An old codger like me just hasn't got a clue what they mean
http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...26&key=7675067
baggydave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 08:04 PM   #2
Joseph Cermak

Well that's one I haven't seen before. I do agree that the sky doesn't look pure black but has splotches in it, although I'm not sure the cause of this or the way to fix it...maybe selectively processing just the sky can fix it. Looks like a great shot otherwise.
Joseph Cermak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 09:15 PM   #3
Decapod401

I've received this rejection once or twice, and I never change my export settings. My advice is to start from scratch and reprocess, being wary of getting the same "look" of a blotchy sky.
Decapod401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 11:16 PM   #4
Pkwlsn

I think the sky is the least of your problems. Every bit of color in the image looks to have been compressed into one single shade. It almost looks like a posterize effect was added. Look at the semaphore for example. The white is almost one solid color.
Old 11-04-2016, 01:35 AM   #5
Noct Foamer

If I remember correctly, you rarely shoot at night with lights. One of the things I learned when I started doing it ~12 years ago is to be careful to not oversharpen. These kinds of shots are already very high contrast, and high contrast often is interpreted as sharpened. I'm also not crazy about the placement of lights here--note all the glare. That could have been anticipated.

Either that (above), or the screener said, "Crap. Another photo from that Baggy Dave guy. What rejection can I give this one that I haven't used a dozen times already this year?"

Kent in SD
Noct Foamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 10:50 AM   #6
miningcamper1

My instantaneous reaction- half the submitted shot is "dead space":
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	6864.1478115973.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	472.6 KB
ID:	9286  

RP Photos: www.railpictures.net/miningcamper1/

Last edited by miningcamper1; 11-04-2016 at 10:59 AM. Reason: revision
miningcamper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 11:30 AM   #7
KevinM

Hi Dave,

I wouldn't expend any more effort on this one, at least with respect to RP. While I don't currently see the "blotchy" problem with the sky, I don't think this shot represents your best work. As Kent indicated, the placement of the lights for this image was sub-optimal. There are hot spots of glare on the locomotive and the signal, while the plume appears underexposed. In addition, the grass in the foreground is very bright and distracting, at least in my view.

I've done a little playing around with flashes myself and one thing I have learned is that light placement and exposure are learned art....and one that comes at the expense of a lot of less-than-compelling shots. There's a huge difference between a dramatic night scene and one that simply says: "Hey look! I bought some speedlights!" Unfortunately, this one leans more toward the latter category than the former.

One thing that has really helped me is finding someone who has experience doing this, who will let you come along on one of their shoots, so you can see how they determine light placement, angles, power, etc. There is a lot more than meets the eye to getting great night shots.

My RP stuff is here.

Link to my Flickr Albums. Lots of Steam Railroad stuff there from all over the US.
KevinM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 01:01 PM   #8
Noct Foamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinM View Post
Hi Dave,

I've done a little playing around with flashes myself and one thing I have learned is that light placement and exposure are learned art....and one that comes at the expense of a lot of less-than-compelling shots.

I'm in my eleventh season and am still learning! At least I'm now up to about a 75% success rate. Still have my share of screw-ups, enough to make me lower my expectations to (partially) take the sting out of spending 6 hours out in the dark and coming home with nothing to show for it.

Kent in SD
Old 11-04-2016, 02:41 PM   #9
JRMDC

In my mind compression is another way to say poor image quality, as it is one source of it. That is what I see here.

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2016, 06:36 PM   #10
John West
Senior Curmudgeon

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noct Foamer View Post
....or the screener said, "Crap. Another photo from that Baggy Dave guy. What rejection can I give this one that I haven't used a dozen times already this year?"
Right on!

Poor image quality, too much deadspace, poor composition. You made it too easy on the screeners this time. Give 'em some of your really good stuff and make them scramble.
John West is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 10:41 AM   #11
baggydave

Thanks everyone. Not worth it is the general consensus and I am inclined to agree. It was my first attempt at a moving night shot and, having acquired a second flash unit I thought I would give it a try, especially as the crew on the train were willing to help. One unit though didn't fire which I had positioned behind the signal. I processed it and I thought for a first attempt it was reasonable.(I should have course remembered that I find that RP doesn't do reasonable). My main question was the rejection. I just don't understand what it is. I posted as I thought someone could enlighten me as perhaps I had processed wrongly or something.Nice to think that I should challenge the screeners with better stuff but it doesn't work that way. I had a rejection from my visit to Arizona last year of a long freight near Seligman a few months ago. It featured the following month as a full double page centre spread in the UK's largest selling railway magazine. (UK magazines don't do US stuff much by the way, so a big honour)Perhaps we Brits and Europeans are different in some way. It has been alluded to in other posts so I shall simply put it down to across the pond quirkiness. I shall go back and see how to get the second flash to fire when I want it to. It is the season for it after all.
http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...97&key=3780966
Another from the same night
baggydave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 11:41 AM   #12
JRMDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by baggydave View Post
My main question was the rejection. I just don't understand what it is.
Maybe you are not understanding what compression can do? JPG files are smaller than original because they use a mathematical scheme to capture most the information in many pixels in fewer pixels. Sort of a pixel equivalent of rounding a number or reporting fewer significant digits, pi = 3.14 instead of 3.141593 instead of 3.1415926536...

One can choose different levels of compression. Thus, when I make a 1024x653 image, I save it in a least compressed version for RP - about 1 mb in size, or a more compressed version for flickr or FB, about 300 kb. Note that the pixel dimensions and count are unchanged; it is how they are stored that changes.

The compression is with penalty in that there is some loss of image quality. In most cases that loss is basically not noticed by the viewer, but a careful viewing may reveal spot in the frame where some detail is lost or other issues arise. The more one compresses, the smaller the file size, but the more visible the compromises in the pixels.

Your shot looks like it was saved highly compressed. That doesn't mean that is what you did; it means that your image has that look. I think it should have gotten a poor image quality rejection as that is more accurate and allows for other causes.

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 01:29 PM   #13
miningcamper1

Quote:
My main question was the rejection. I just don't understand what it is.
Maybe the screener noticed this (sky sample enhanced for emphasis):
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	skysample.jpg
Views:	205
Size:	6.7 KB
ID:	9287  

RP Photos: www.railpictures.net/miningcamper1/
miningcamper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 12:44 AM   #14
Noct Foamer

Quote:
It was my first attempt at a moving night shot and, having acquired a second flash unit I thought I would give it a try, ....One unit though didn't fire which I had positioned behind the signal*.

If you want to learn how to do this sort of stuff, meet me anywhere between Fargo and Omaha some night. I can save you about three years..........

Kent in SD

* There are "shadows" behind
large solid steel pieces.