Old 06-06-2007, 01:11 PM   #1
Callufrax
?

Location: Nth. Strathfield, Main Northern, CityRail - Sydney, NSW, Australia
Question California and Nevada road atlas

I'm wishing to obtain a road atlas, for both CA and NV, which also show railway lines. However, I've so far not been able to find one. Can anyone suggest a good road atlas showing railway lines?
Callufrax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 04:17 PM   #2
goremirebob
ex-teenager

I always use the established DeLorme atlases, having not yet found anything better. Sadly the US don't have anything near Ordnance Survey maps! The DeLorme's are the only ones that show any railway detail and even this is sometimes incomplete or omitted where it infringes on important road detail. I've also found back road detail to be sometimes incorrect or the scale makes the actual geography of an area impossible to read. (e g over Donner Pass)You would need 3 - Northern CA, Southern CA and NV. Sadly in the California ones the railways are very faint - I always go over the ones I'm interested in in black pen to make them more prominent. Even with these maps I always have Walker's atlas with me (which shows railways but not roads) for cross reference.
Come on, all you folks from California and Nevada - are there any better maps out there?
Bob
goremirebob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 04:26 PM   #3
JimThias

I agree with bob about DeLorme. Even though they have some errors here and there, they ARE quite detailed, including most, if not all railroad lines as well as old railroad grades, abandoned lines, etc. As far as I'm concerned, they are the best detailed, best formatted and easiest to read out of all the state or county map books that I've looked through (at least in Michigan). I don't take any railfanning roadtrips without mine!
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 09:09 PM   #4
Callufrax
?

Quote:
Originally Posted by goremirebob
I always use the established DeLorme atlases, having not yet found anything better. Sadly the US don't have anything near Ordnance Survey maps! The DeLorme's are the only ones that show any railway detail and even this is sometimes incomplete or omitted where it infringes on important road detail. I've also found back road detail to be sometimes incorrect or the scale makes the actual geography of an area impossible to read. (e g over Donner Pass)You would need 3 - Northern CA, Southern CA and NV. Sadly in the California ones the railways are very faint - I always go over the ones I'm interested in in black pen to make them more prominent. Even with these maps I always have Walker's atlas with me (which shows railways but not roads) for cross reference.
Come on, all you folks from California and Nevada - are there any better maps out there?
Bob
I know there's always SPV's railway atlases. But, again, there aren't any roads shown on them - not even, from what I can tell, where the road or tracks may cross the other. Though, I'll probably pick up a copy of the one for California and Nevada anyhow.

The best road atlases I've seen, which include railway lines, are MapArt's. Unfortunately, due to being a Canadian company, they don't have much published for the States yet.
Old 06-06-2007, 11:54 PM   #5
Pat Lorenz

I have found railfan gold, while at a convention at Denver, i stopped by caboose hobbies and while browsing found the perfect railroad mapping. It shows most small roads and is very good.

They are made by Sonrisa Publications at www.djcooley.com

They are sized just about as big as the altamont press versions. Its completley worth while and they are almost perfect.
Pat Lorenz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 12:45 AM   #6
Callufrax
?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat Lorenz
I have found railfan gold, while at a convention at Denver, i stopped by caboose hobbies and while browsing found the perfect railroad mapping. It shows most small roads and is very good.

They are made by Sonrisa Publications at www.djcooley.com

They are sized just about as big as the altamont press versions. Its completley worth while and they are almost perfect.
Ok, that looks like a fantastic range of maps. Even better than what I was looking for. Thanks for the heads up!
Old 07-04-2007, 08:54 AM   #7
Callufrax
?

Four Sonrisa railroad maps arrived today, in the post, and they're fantastic! Better than I could have imagined.

Thanks for the heads up, Pat!