Go Back   RailPictures.Net Forums > Railroad Photography Forums > Railroad Photography Forum

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-03-2013, 04:54 AM   #1
jdirelan87
Senior Member
 
jdirelan87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Metro DC
Posts: 725
Default Photos like this is why RP is losing credibility in certain circles

I'm not normally one to call out other photographers (at least without just cause) or complain about a photo being accepted, but this photo is just plain BAD. I mean seriously, I don't think the screener even looked at the thumbnail let alone the full sized image!

Image © Julian L Hull
PhotoID: 438574
Photograph © Julian L Hull


And its already making the rounds on other social media sites, I originally saw someone complaining about it on Facebook first.

If you claim to be the best railroad photography site on the net (which I think RP still is), you can't let stuff like this slip through the cracks. All credibility goes flying out the window!
jdirelan87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 05:09 AM   #2
jnohallman
Senior Member
 
jnohallman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 1,527
Default

Really? What's so bad about it? The focus and sharpness are good. Some people may not like the heat distortion, but it's a fact of life, and doesn't bother me much. Based on the signals, it looks to be level - the train is moving downgrade and into a superelevated curve. The nose is well lit. What were they supposed to reject it for - "we don't like BCRail pics?"

Jon
__________________
"Everybody talks about the weather, but nobody does anything about it." - Mark Twain

Click here to see my photos on RP.net!

Do not, under any circumstances whatsoever, click here. Don't even think about it. I'm warning you!
jnohallman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 06:06 AM   #3
Ween
Senior Member
 
Ween's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 4,861
Default

Probably the fact that it's backlit, but it's hardly the worst example one could use to illustrate lack of consistency among the screeners. There are a couple that get by ever 100-200 shots or so, so I'm not sure that there's been an uptick over the past in poorer quality shots getting in...
__________________
Ween is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 06:35 AM   #4
Mgoldman
Senior Member
 
Mgoldman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 3,641
Default

Well - at least it's a BC Rail. You don't see them to often these days, especially in that paint scheme. And while the trucks are completely shadowed (a reason others would find a rejection e-mail), the nose is lit.

John - choose better examples! They abound!

No disrespect to these two photographers, one a good friend, but - really?

Image © Chris Wallace
PhotoID: 438513
Photograph © Chris Wallace


Image © Steven Jensen
PhotoID: 432910
Photograph © Steven Jensen



/Mitch
Mgoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 06:59 AM   #5
Mgoldman
Senior Member
 
Mgoldman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 3,641
Default

Credibility aside, I spoke with quite a few photogrpahers along the photolines while chasing NKP #765. I'd say it was an even mix of annoying ads /spam and poorly worded rejections which typically imply "you suck" instead of something more supportive and less vague. That and to your point - consistency. You see poor photography slip through... fine. But then don't bash good photography for petty reasons or via vague and poorly worded rejections. Admin needs to better hone in on what is acceptable and what is not - and not have it vary so much from one screener to another (what's too dark, what's level enough, ect). Yet, offer a little more leeway as prudent - rare * hard to reproduce * historical * newsworthy * and, I'll say it - if you want to keep established photographers posting, give them a little extra leeway - where's Steve Crise? Mike Valentine? Michael Allen? Some stopped shooting, some got distracted but many of the "where are they now" that I've kept in touch with told me they simply got tired of the hassle. Or, only pop in so as to keep their blood pressure in check or, as a testament to the site, to keep their name out in the public eye. Has anyone checked Steve Crise's site lately? Or tried to find a specific photo on FLICKR? It's quite cumbersome.

It's a real shame as the potential of this site is astronomical. A one stop shop for what is still the best quantity of the best of the best in one place and a database still - currently - second to none in regards to who, what, where and when in regards to all things railroad related.

/Mitch
Mgoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 11:23 AM   #6
troy12n
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 5,333
Default

Wasnt there some post recently about someone's "much better than that" photo with similar lighting conditions?
troy12n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 12:17 PM   #7
JimThias
Senior Member
 
JimThias's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Grand Rapids, MI
Posts: 9,800
Default

Let's all vote it to be a PCA. That would piss everyone off!
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 02:15 PM   #8
magicman_841
Senior Member
 
magicman_841's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Montreal, QC
Posts: 1,024
Default

Great consist, indeed, but nothing unusual on the CN transcon.

Life goes on.
__________________
Mathieu Tremblay
Choo photos
magicman_841 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 03:03 PM   #9
MDH
Senior Member
 
MDH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 287
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnohallman View Post
Really? What's so bad about it? The focus and sharpness are good. Some people may not like the heat distortion, but it's a fact of life, and doesn't bother me much. Based on the signals, it looks to be level - the train is moving downgrade and into a superelevated curve. The nose is well lit. What were they supposed to reject it for - "we don't like BCRail pics?"

Jon
'cause it's a high sun harshly backlit boring wedgie where the photographer let the front of the train run into the foreground bush. The BCRail leader isn't *that* rare and that train at that time/day could have been shot better. I wouldn't mind the poor light nearly as much if it was a more nosey tele-mash or shot from the sunny side. A well composed version like that probably would be worth being here, but this is just a poorly lit wedgie (tons of which get rejected every day here).

More to the point though, letting this on is just a screener "oops" and we all know those happen - though it does tend to annoy a person when a much better shot (than this one) gets kicked for a nit picky technical reason and then you see something like this show up in the photostream. I don't get worked up over this sort of stuff because a) the screeners are human too and b) this is all very subjective - even when it's "against the usual rules". It would only become problematic if too much lower quality stuff started slipping on but I don't think it's anywhere near that. If anything, the standards seem pretty tight in general (although there have been a few more cloudy NKP 765 & heritage shots than necessary - but that's personal taste )

My 2 cents,
Michael
__________________
Michael Harding
P&WV fan in HO

Click Here to view my photos at RailPictures.Net!

Click Here to view my Toledo Railfan Photo Location map!

Last edited by MDH; 06-03-2013 at 03:16 PM.
MDH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 03:21 PM   #10
Holloran Grade
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: In the California Republic
Posts: 2,774
Lightbulb

This one, while not that great was not as big a joke in my opinion as a certain photo from NS that recently made top 4 of 24.

People don't submit because the screening process has become completely anal.

It must be almost comical for a screener to reject one of Steve's images because it isn't cropped right.

I am getting tired of having photos on here the way the screener wants it.

That is not how I took it, and that is not what I wanted to show you.

Vindication for this premise is when BNSF contacts me because they want to use an image that RP rejected.
Holloran Grade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 03:35 PM   #11
JMC
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Youngstown, Ohio
Posts: 168
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holloran Grade View Post
This one, while not that great was not as big a joke in my opinion as a certain photo from NS that recently made top 4 of 24.
Which "certain photo from NS" are you referring to?

Joe
JMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 06:17 PM   #12
Joe the Photog
Senior Member
 
Joe the Photog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Columbia, SC
Posts: 7,898
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holloran Grade View Post
I am getting tired of having photos on here the way the screener wants it.
Then stop submitting, Dan.
__________________
Joe the Photog Dot Com
Joe the Photog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 07:32 PM   #13
Coloradorailfan
Senior Member
 
Coloradorailfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Longmont, Colorado
Posts: 262
Send a message via AIM to Coloradorailfan Send a message via Yahoo to Coloradorailfan Send a message via Skype™ to Coloradorailfan
Default

Here's a quote photographers should refer too. "Shoot photos the way you want them to be, not what somebody else wants".
__________________
John Crisanti

My RailPictures Photos

My Flickr

"The camera doesn't make the photographer, it's the person behind the viewfinder."

- John Crisanti
Coloradorailfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 08:23 PM   #14
Mgoldman
Senior Member
 
Mgoldman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 3,641
Default

Here's a better quote - accept the vision of others work instead of attempting to transform it into your own vision. This, of course, would have merit proportionate to the skill and longevity of the photographer.

(Not that a second set of eyes is not beneficial - 2 degrees unlevel, dust spots, and poor color, ect. are not always apparent at first sight - these are technical flaws worth a second review. Crop and PEQ - those, however are far from right and wrong).

/Mitch
Mgoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 10:38 PM   #15
Holloran Grade
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: In the California Republic
Posts: 2,774
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMC View Post
Which "certain photo from NS" are you referring to?

Joe
Image © Norfolk Southern Corp
PhotoID: 438347
Photograph © Norfolk Southern Corp
Holloran Grade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 12:28 AM   #16
JRMDC
Senior Member
 
JRMDC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 11,202
Default

What's the problem with the NS shot, do you think it should not have been accepted or are you surprised it made ToL24? I've no problem with it, it's backlit but so what the subject matter isn't a wedgie but an event, nicely captured. Maybe a bit over-adjusted on the white t-shirts, my only complaint.
__________________
My RP pix are here.
My Flickr pix are here.

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 12:53 AM   #17
Mgoldman
Senior Member
 
Mgoldman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 3,641
Default

Yup - proof again that not all photos on RP are accepted as strict examples of only the BEST railroad photos on the net.

Sometimes other factors rightfully tip the scales - sometimes.

Not a dog on a train... of course. Or a rarely seen steam engine display slightly obscured by a perrmanent fence. A train at a passenger station with an iron rail fence... but y'know, those other times.

/Mitch
Mgoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 01:09 AM   #18
troy12n
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 5,333
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimThias View Post
Let's all vote it to be a PCA. That would piss everyone off!
Last time we did that, they revoked it. "The Letter"
troy12n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 01:12 AM   #19
troy12n
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 5,333
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holloran Grade View Post
This one, while not that great was not as big a joke in my opinion as a certain photo from NS that recently made top 4 of 24.
Watch it buddy... forced vacation awaits those who speak such blasphemy
troy12n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 01:13 AM   #20
troy12n
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 5,333
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holloran Grade View Post
Image © Norfolk Southern Corp
PhotoID: 438347
Photograph © Norfolk Southern Corp
I agree, that one is pretty much garbage.

Subject matter aside. That type of subject matter really shouldnt influence the ability of a shot to get on IMHO.

Last edited by troy12n; 06-04-2013 at 01:15 AM.
troy12n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 01:36 AM   #21
Mr. Pick
Senior Member
 
Mr. Pick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Middle Tennessee
Posts: 662
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by troy12n View Post
I agree, that one is pretty much garbage.

Subject matter aside. That type of subject matter really shouldnt influence the ability of a shot to get on IMHO.
Well, I have to humbly disagree with you Troy. Subject matter does matter and should influence whether or not a shot is accepted. The NS photo captures a moment of railroad history that can't be re-captured on another day in better circumstances. But it is still an important picture, worthy of inclusion and viewing because of the story it tells.

We make the same allowance for old slide scans. While not nearly as sharp, etc., as current digital pictures, they too are worthy of acceptance because of the subject matter, and because they can't be recreated today either.

Just the way I see it.
Mr. Pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 01:40 AM   #22
troy12n
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 5,333
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Pick View Post
Well, I have to humbly disagree with you Troy. Subject matter does matter and should influence whether or not a shot is accepted. The NS photo captures a moment of railroad history that can't be re-captured on another day in better circumstances. But it is still an important picture, worthy of inclusion and viewing because of the story it tells.

Gonna disagree with you, that's not some historic unreproducible event.

Quote:
We make the same allowance for old slide scans. While not nearly as sharp, etc., as current digital pictures, they too are worthy of acceptance because of the subject matter, and because they can't be recreated today either.
Terrible comparison.
troy12n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 02:19 AM   #23
JimThias
Senior Member
 
JimThias's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Grand Rapids, MI
Posts: 9,800
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holloran Grade View Post
Vindication for this premise is when BNSF contacts me because they want to use an image that RP rejected.
Where did they see your photo in order to contact you?
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 02:23 AM   #24
Holloran Grade
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: In the California Republic
Posts: 2,774
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRMDC View Post
What's the problem with the NS shot, do you think it should not have been accepted or are you surprised it made ToL24? I've no problem with it, it's backlit but so what the subject matter isn't a wedgie but an event, nicely captured. Maybe a bit over-adjusted on the white t-shirts, my only complaint.
If you can't see it, albeit, if it doesn't scream out at you, then I can't help you.

Perhaps I am too influenced by Disney and Hollywood, but I just look at that and go "wow."

As why it made top 4?

Same reason I clicked on it.....

WTF?
Holloran Grade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 02:28 AM   #25
Holloran Grade
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: In the California Republic
Posts: 2,774
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimThias View Post
Where did they see your photo in order to contact you?
Friends of BNSF.
Holloran Grade is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 12:16 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.