Old 02-24-2010, 03:08 AM   #1
amtrakboy

Default "Similar To Previous Photo"? Poor Lighting?

Guys,

I have here two photos I took recently. They are as follows: http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...&key=939733978

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...&key=239247680

I can understand the "Poor Lighting/Cloudy Day/Common Power" rejection of the Amtrak. However the one of the UP 2001 was taken in sunlight-very obvious to the eye. Should I appeal? All suggestions/criticisms/ welcome!!
amtrakboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 03:16 AM   #2
milwman
I shoot what I like

Send a message via Yahoo to milwman

Some one got the same train on with the same power UP 2001, Give it a week and repost and looks like it needs sharped to.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/22299476@N05/

Last edited by milwman; 02-24-2010 at 03:30 AM.
milwman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 03:16 AM   #3
LSRC Railfan

Yeah, let the cloudy one go. No hope for that one.

The Olympic one is very nice, but I vaguely recall seeing one like that on the site today. I'd wait a week or two and then resubmit.
LSRC Railfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 03:25 AM   #4
amtrakboy

Thanks guys!! I'll resubmit, with slight sharpening, in the next 1-2 weeks.
amtrakboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 03:25 AM   #5
Joe the Photog

Image © Nathan Eckhard
PhotoID: 315220
Photograph © Nathan Eckhard

Wifi, dude.
Old 02-24-2010, 08:16 PM   #6
coborn35

Image © Steven M. Welch
PhotoID: 315278
Photograph © Steven M. Welch
I personally have had a problem with those trying to tell us to turn railroad photography into an "art form." It's fine for them to do so, I welcome it in fact, but what I do have a problem with is that the practitioners of the more "arty" shots, I have found, tend to look down their nose's at others who are shooting more "mundane" shots.
Railroad photography is what you make of it, but one way is not "better" than another, IMHO. Unless you have a pole right thought the nose of the engine! -SG
coborn35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 08:50 PM   #7
KevinM

Looks like there was a photo line on that bridge!!

When a photo line forms, the best advice is to: FIND A BETTER ANGLE! Seriously, when it comes to photo line shots, he who posts first gets the views, even if someone later posts a better image of the same scene. He who posts last gets the STP rejection for his efforts!

Best bet.... Be the lone wolf. This hobby is SO much more relaxing when you're not in a race with a horde of other people to get to the nearest available internet connection.

My RP stuff is here.

Link to my Flickr Albums. Lots of Steam Railroad stuff there from all over the US.
KevinM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 08:58 PM   #8
cblaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinM View Post

When a photo line forms, the best advice is to: FIND A BETTER ANGLE! Seriously, when it comes to photo line shots, he who posts first gets the views, even if someone later posts a better image of the same scene. He who posts last gets the STP rejection for his efforts!

Best bet.... Be the lone wolf. This hobby is SO much more relaxing when you're not in a race with a horde of other people to get to the nearest available internet connection.
Or use the photo charter method. If you see a lot of shots going up from an event you just attended, put the photos away until people have forgotten about it (6 months to a year after). Now where are my TrainFest pictures....

- Chris
Old 02-25-2010, 12:26 AM   #9
coborn35

Or you can just find better locations. See my results from NOT shooting near the photographers.

Notice the difference:
Image © Max Medlin
PhotoID: 297097
Photograph © Max Medlin

instead of
Image © Shawn Christie
PhotoID: 297912
Photograph © Shawn Christie

Image © Max Medlin
PhotoID: 305020
Photograph © Max Medlin

instead of
Image © Jeff Terry
PhotoID: 297214
Photograph © Jeff Terry

Image © Max Medlin
PhotoID: 297267
Photograph © Max Medlin

instead of
Image © Michael Burlaga
PhotoID: 297055
Photograph © Michael Burlaga

When no one was around:
Image © Max Medlin
PhotoID: 296981
Photograph © Max Medlin

Image © Max Medlin
PhotoID: 297096
Photograph © Max Medlin

Point is, just because you see a nice shot where everyone is, odds are there is a better/more exclusive shot somewhere nearby.
I personally have had a problem with those trying to tell us to turn railroad photography into an "art form." It's fine for them to do so, I welcome it in fact, but what I do have a problem with is that the practitioners of the more "arty" shots, I have found, tend to look down their nose's at others who are shooting more "mundane" shots.
Railroad photography is what you make of it, but one way is not "better" than another, IMHO. Unless you have a pole right thought the nose of the engine! -SG
Old 02-25-2010, 01:00 AM   #10
cblaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by coborn35 View Post
Or you can just find better locations. See my results from NOT shooting near the photographers.

Notice the difference:
Image © Max Medlin
PhotoID: 297097
Photograph © Max Medlin

instead of
Image © Shawn Christie
PhotoID: 297912
Photograph © Shawn Christie
Except these shots aren't of the same exact runby, so it's not a good comparison.

Quote:
Image © Max Medlin
PhotoID: 305020
Photograph © Max Medlin

instead of
Image © Jeff Terry
PhotoID: 297214
Photograph © Jeff Terry

Image © Max Medlin
PhotoID: 297267
Photograph © Max Medlin

instead of
Image © Michael Burlaga
PhotoID: 297055
Photograph © Michael Burlaga
Gotta disagree. Jeff and Mike got much better shots at these two locations.

- Chris
Old 02-25-2010, 01:10 AM   #11
coborn35

The point was that they got the common shot.
Old 02-25-2010, 01:53 AM   #12
Chase55671
RailPictures.Net Crew

Send a message via AIM to Chase55671 Send a message via MSN to Chase55671

Quote:
Originally Posted by cblaz View Post
Except these shots aren't of the same exact runby, so it's not a good comparison.

Gotta disagree. Jeff and Mike got much better shots at these two locations.

- Chris
Agreed, Chris! I was thinking the same, although was hesitant in posting it on the forums.

Quote:
The point was that they got the common shot.
Not exactly. The image of the train crossing the trestle was far more appealing than your "wedge".

Same goes for the other shot, as I find yours a bit more cluttered. I think Jeff was able to capture the scene better with a more appealing background. Sort of provides the image with a nice "feel".

Chase
Click here to view my photos at Railpictures.Net
SLR Night Photography Tutorial | Railpictures.Net Beginners Guide
Chase55671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 02:03 AM   #13
stevenmwelch

Send a message via AIM to stevenmwelch Send a message via Yahoo to stevenmwelch

Quote:
Originally Posted by amtrakboy View Post
However the one of the UP 2001 was taken in sunlight-very obvious to the eye. Should I appeal? All suggestions/criticisms/ welcome!!
If you were to be a little more social (with the other four of us) you probably could have called "dibs" on the spot...

As they say.. "Snooze ya lose!"
My Photos on RP
My RP Rejects and then Some
stevenmwelch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 02:31 AM   #14
Carl Becker

It might just be me, but the tops of the autoracks look really overexposed. I did just make a move to a new monitor but I don't think the problem is on my end.

~Carl Becker
Old 02-25-2010, 02:53 AM   #15
MDH

Quote:

Well - that happens, and sometimes it's fun to shoot with other good photographers and see what everyone comes up with. As a note, the view count can vary not only by submission order but also what it's "up against" when submitted - i.e. if it gets shut out of "top 2" by a derailment and a "woman by a train" shot or something like that.

These all got good views and the submissions were spread out by only a few weeks. I suspect we all have all of these shots (and there was a 4th there who didn't upload this one) but we all chose compositions different from what was already submitted:

Image © Paul Duda
PhotoID: 301365
Photograph © Paul Duda

Image © Tom Habak
PhotoID: 301791
Photograph © Tom Habak

Image © Michael Harding
PhotoID: 305251
Photograph © Michael Harding

We didn't happen to discuss "who would do what" but it all worked out pretty well and none of us were in a big rush to get it on here.

If you want to be uptight about it - discuss it with the other photographers present or have a laptop with wireless access in your car and feverishly rush to get it submitted if your world will collapse if you're not first...

Michael

FYI - I agree the "similar to previous" was appropriate here with 2 virtually identical shots already loaded within the last day or two (and seeing it on TO, etc...) As others have noted, wait a couple weeks and then the "similar" issue shouldn't matter.

Click Here to view my photos at RailPictures.Net!

Click Here to view my Toledo Railfan Photo Location map!
MDH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 03:07 AM   #16
coborn35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chase55671 View Post
Agreed, Chris! I was thinking the same, although was hesitant in posting it on the forums.

Not exactly. The image of the train crossing the trestle was far more appealing than your "wedge".

Same goes for the other shot, as I find yours a bit more cluttered. I think Jeff was able to capture the scene better with a more appealing background. Sort of provides the image with a nice "feel".

Chase
No, it is exactly. That was the common shot. 50+ photogs got the same shot. I was fine with a wedgie, since no one was around, the sun was shining and there are no wedges of the Hustle Muscle on RP. As for the other one, I wanted a nice shot of Marty Fair running, and I liked how it turned out. Wasnt a competition, I was just trying to venture away from the norm. But this is neither here nor there, the issue is that the same spot shot, albeit cropped differently, have appeared recently, and submitting (the rejected one) inferior product will not get on. Work on it a little, then resubmit later.
Old 02-25-2010, 04:00 AM   #17
stevenmwelch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chase55671 View Post
... says the kid who posted 4 trillion Strasburg photos already ...
My Photos on RP
Old 02-25-2010, 04:08 AM   #18
Freericks
Met Fan

A few years back I was standing with two other RP.net contributors at a junction between a heavy mainline and a small branch of another railroad. To our utter surprise a train came down the small branch line and all three of us got some great shots of an operation that's pretty hard to capture.

Without really thinking things through, I drove home, edited up my best shot and posted it.

Occurred to me afterwords that it was probably not the right thing to do. I should have either told them that I was doing it or given a couple days (they had found the location and told me about it).

Although it's never been discussed, I obviously feel guilty about it, and have taken to waiting for awhile to post images when I'm standing next to others. It's fine to be the first poster, but you also want to be respectful of your fellow hobbyists.
Freericks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 04:34 AM   #19
Joe the Photog

It pays to be anti social and not very likable. Like me. I don't recall shooting with another RP photog before. Seriously, if I did and I got a shot I felt really good about, there's ways to deal with that. Like a slight mix up where I take his card out of his camera at the end of the day. You know, accidentally. After I "realized" my "mistake," I'd naturally drive his card right over. All the pictures would still be there. And all mine would be uploaded to RP.

And, no, I'm not serious.

Last edited by Joe the Photog; 02-25-2010 at 04:40 AM.
Joe the Photog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 04:59 AM   #20
JimThias

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Becker View Post
It might just be me, but the tops of the autoracks look really overexposed. I did just make a move to a new monitor but I don't think the problem is on my end.

~Carl Becker
Yeah, the white on those racks is fried. Nothing a little selective masking can't fix during processing in photoshop.

Quote:

Or, just find a different angle (as already suggested). It's really not that hard to do when shooting with other people, especially when you have a little bit of time to set up a shot:

(I'm still waiting to see Dadgari's version of this one)
Image © Jim Thias
PhotoID: 308724
Photograph © Jim Thias

Image © Steven M. Welch
PhotoID: 299234

Image © Steven M. Welch
PhotoID: 295163

Image © Jim Thias
PhotoID: 303459
Photograph © Jim Thias

Image © Jim Thias
PhotoID: 296039
Photograph © Jim Thias

Image © Steven M. Welch
PhotoID: 295836

This pretty much sums it up: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Thias
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 05:07 AM   #21
stlgevo51

Wow, how many railfans were on that bridge? I know if a special unit was coming through on the Jefferson City sub, one of the last places I would go would be Kirkwood. Many people can always be expected there, even on a normal day, and you can't chase from there (at least it is hard). It does have very nice photo angles though, and the grade makes eastbounds very exciting!
I wish I could have gotten off to see that beauty, though! Great catch guys at an awesome location!
Youtube Videos

Last edited by stlgevo51; 02-25-2010 at 05:19 AM.
stlgevo51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 12:54 PM   #22
troy12n
Banned

I think this type of rejection should be used more. There are people on this forum that seem to shoot from the same place and have dozens of wedges from the same grade crossing it seems. Not too often, but sometimes you even see it in the new photos a different crop of the same train from the same location that isnt too spectacular but technically "correct"

Last edited by troy12n; 02-25-2010 at 12:58 PM.
troy12n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 02:56 PM   #23
KevinM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freericks View Post
Although it's never been discussed, I obviously feel guilty about it, and have taken to waiting for awhile to post images when I'm standing next to others. It's fine to be the first poster, but you also want to be respectful of your fellow hobbyists.
Charles, we probably should start a thread about etiquette. It would be interesting to see how various folks feel about this subject.

WRT the story you just related, I'm in total agreement. If someone arrives at a spot before I do, they get to pick the shooting position. It's my job to ensure that whatever I do doesn't interfere. If someone shows me a shot and I know they are an RP contributor, I will hold mine until long after they post....or at least wait to see if they do. If I am somehow lucky enough to be the first to get home from a charter (happens rarely), I try to post only my best ones and limit the numbers to 6-10 total....and that would probably be over a week's time. That rate certainly gives other folks a chance. If others post first, I hold my duplicates and try to find something that's different.

My RP stuff is here.

Link to my Flickr Albums. Lots of Steam Railroad stuff there from all over the US.
KevinM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 03:13 PM   #24
Freericks
Met Fan

Kevin,

It's funny, because before the incident that I related, I thought I had it all down too (first person there gets the shot they want to set up for, you work around them if you arrived later - don't talk if someone near you is shooting video - etc.). It was only after I broke this new one (if another RP.net contributor was there first or brought you to the spot, give them a chance to post their image first) that I realized it was there and added it to my list.

When another RP.net contributor got me access to a local engine facility a year after this incident, I waited for him to post his shots before posting anything I had taken (and even waited until he e-mailed me asking why I hadn't posted anything yet... because frankly, I'm not sure I would have had he not pushed me to).

Now, sort of like the wait until everyone is served before you eat rule gets mitigated to five people are served first if you are at a table of over ten people, I would say this "new rule" gets mitigated if there is a crowd of railfans (how many? Up to you...). But then again, if I took a shot that I knew twelve other railfans took, I would likely wait quite a long time on it before posting it.

Truth is, this stuff is really all up to the individual. I just need some rules that I follow for myself. I probably wouldn't get angry at someone for posting before me in the reverse situation.
Freericks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 11:10 PM   #25
stevenmwelch

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimThias View Post
Or, just find a different angle (as already suggested). It's really not that hard to do when shooting with other people, especially when you have a little bit of time to set up a shot...
Yeah. And you still get the cover shot. I don't like you anymore.
My Photos on RP