travsirocz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 03:50 PM   #29
Freericks
Met Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holloran Grade View Post
Trackmobile.
Got it.

Would you shoot a trackmobile in a burka?

Would you shoot a trackmobile holding an action figure?

Freericks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 06:04 PM   #30
JimThias

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freericks View Post

Would you shoot a trackmobile in a burka?
Why would a trackmobile be in a burka?
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 07:32 PM   #31
Freericks
Met Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimThias View Post
Why would a trackmobile be in a burka?
Modesty.

>>>>
Old 04-23-2013, 11:41 PM   #32
Holloran Grade
Banned

Wink

Blimp.....

This is the real deal.

Image © Dave Schauer
PhotoID: 421490
Photograph © Dave Schauer
Holloran Grade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 12:29 PM   #33
JimThias

This is one of my favorite units. What a goofy little machine:

Old 04-24-2013, 02:08 PM   #34
bigbassloyd

That just looks wrong all over. Wrong like shooting action figures in front of a trackmobile while wearing a burka..

Loyd L.

My personal photography site
bigbassloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 02:32 PM   #35
Freericks
Met Fan

Honestly I would let this go for anyone else but Word Policeman Jim Thias. As cool as that is (and it is mighty cool looking) how is that a unit in railroad parlance?

The word "unit" in railroading refers to "multiple unit" or the ability to MU. This is why a steam locomotive is never a "unit." Only locomotives that can MU together or railcars that are self-propelled and can MU together (in railroad jargon) are referred to as units.

Yes, in the broader spectrum of the English language, I'm sure you can defend your usage, however in your position as Jim Thias Word Policeman, I hope you will not stoop so low as to do that, but will rather accept that you have erred and correct your mistake.

Possibly a day of wearing a burka is in order.
Old 04-24-2013, 03:25 PM   #36
Chris Z

Send a message via Skype™ to Chris Z

A steam locomotive is a "lady". It has life, it breathes, and needs nurturing. Anything that is internal combustion can be deemed an off the shelf "unit". You can order one out of a catalog. As for a steam engine, they were ALL unique, like a "lady".

Chris Z
Chris Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 03:44 PM   #37
JRMDC

Any argument that puts the Word Policeman in his place is just fine by me! Especially if the argument is correct!

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 03:47 PM   #38
Freericks
Met Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Z View Post
A steam locomotive is a "lady". It has life, it breathes, and needs nurturing. Anything that is internal combustion can be deemed an off the shelf "unit". You can order one out of a catalog. As for a steam engine, they were ALL unique, like a "lady".

Chris Z
Well, it depends on how we are determining usage. You make a good case from a poetic standpoint. You don't have a case, however, from a railroad jargon standpoint.

I would suggest that Jim's grammar posts of the past require linguistic backing, citations of specific jargon and its actual genesis (which can be found, if one wishes to look in the original advertising materials for the FT locomotive, I believe).

PS - electric motors are referred to as units, and do not have internal combustion - which is not to take away from your statement, I'm actually quite fond of your statement, just to point out it's really more poetic than accurate.

Last edited by Freericks; 04-24-2013 at 03:50 PM.
Old 04-24-2013, 04:44 PM   #39
jnohallman

Quote:
PS - electric motors are referred to as units, and do not have internal combustion - which is not to take away from your statement, I'm actually quite fond of your statement, just to point out it's really more poetic than accurate.
Electric motors are actually referred to as "motors" unless they're referred to as emus - but they can be ordered from a catalog just like diesel-electric "units" and still don't need the kind of care that living, breathing iron horses do. He's still correct.

Jon

Click here to see my photos on RP.net!

Do not, under any circumstances whatsoever, click here. Don't even think about it. I'm warning you!
jnohallman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 04:53 PM   #40
JimThias

Quote:
Honestly I would let this go for anyone else but Word Policeman Jim Thias. As cool as that is (and it is mighty cool looking) how is that a unit in railroad parlance?

The word "unit" in railroading refers to "multiple unit" or the ability to MU. This is why a steam locomotive is never a "unit." Only locomotives that can MU together or railcars that are self-propelled and can MU together (in railroad jargon) are referred to as units.

Yes, in the broader spectrum of the English language, I'm sure you can defend your usage, however in your position as Jim Thias Word Policeman, I hope you will not stoop so low as to do that, but will rather accept that you have erred and correct your mistake.

I stand by my proper usage of the word...

Quote:
1unit
noun \ˈy-nət\
Definition of UNIT

c : a piece or complex of apparatus serving to perform one particular function
Honestly, I don't give a damn about "railroad parlance" because I don't speak it like most foamers. That's probably because I'm so late in my life to the game of social railfanning, I suppose. Quite frankly, I just don't adhere to common railroad vernacular like most train geeks do.

And yes, I have and WILL continue to refer to a steam locomotive as a "unit."

Last edited by JimThias; 04-24-2013 at 04:58 PM.
Old 04-24-2013, 08:10 PM   #41
Holloran Grade
Banned

Lightbulb

Gentlemen and I use that term loosely....

The subject of this thread has turned into the type of esoteric mumbo jumbo that is usually found on ObsCar.

Oh wait, most of you are on ObsCar too, never mind.

Carry on.
Holloran Grade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 10:37 PM   #42
Freericks
Met Fan

So basically what you are saying, Jim, is that you have the right to call others out for misuse of the language and that in doing so it is within your prerogative to pick and chose the population standards by which the usage rules will be determined, but others may not do the same to you?

Meanwhile, Jon, while I have heard E60s and E44s and E33s and GG1s called motors, I have never ever once heard them called an EMU. I have, however, heard them called "units." Whether the person saying this was correct or not, this was done more than once, which gets us to common usage... it has come into the parlance (unlike calling a steam locomotive a unit, which has not occured with enough frequency in my personal experience to be considered common usage).

Finally, to HG's point - I don't think there's light on your nose.

Old 04-25-2013, 12:08 AM   #43
JimThias

Quote:
So basically what you are saying, Jim, is that you have the right to call others out for misuse of the language and that in doing so it is within your prerogative to pick and chose the population standards by which the usage rules will be determined, but others may not do the same to you?
Are you really drawing an analogy between correcting poor grammar and spelling and what one chooses to call a "unit."

Honestly, I don't see the correlation.

By the way, are English teachers called "grammar police" when they correct papers for incorrect grammar and spelling?
Old 04-25-2013, 12:11 AM   #44
JRMDC

Quote:
Are you really drawing an analogy between correcting poor grammar and spelling and what one chooses to call a "unit."

By the way, are English teachers called "grammar police" when they correct papers for incorrect grammar and spelling?
When they appear on a casual forum and do so, they most certainly are!

I think that, while you are valiantly putting up a fight, you are not putting up the "good fight" in that you are not on the side of the angels here. Correcting grammar and spelling and correcting word usage seem completely analogous to me.

So, while this particular type of combat has no knockout blow and hence no particular form of closure, so I can't declare you down for thd count, it does seem to me that you are making no progress on a comeback.

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 12:33 AM   #45
Freericks
Met Fan

Quote:

The purpose of grammar is to ensure clear communication through the continuation of previously established and agreed upon usage.

The purpose of proper spelling is to ensure clear communication through the continuation of previously established and agreed upon usage.

The purpose of accepted definitions of words is to ensure clear communication through the continuation of previously established and agreed upon usage.

So I do see a correlation.

The fact that usage is different among different populations (thus unit means something different in railroad parlance than it means in medical parlance for example) keeps the doctor from infusing you with SD40-2s and the foamer from photographing bags of B+, but that is getting a bit tangential to this conversation, and will upset HG.

Last edited by Freericks; 04-25-2013 at 12:36 AM.
Old 04-25-2013, 12:46 AM   #46
Freericks
Met Fan

My wise guy post above may not actually communicate what I mean totally, Jim - so to be straightforward. If I decide right now that from this point on the thing you call a hospital I will call a fix-it shop, and I am suddenly having a heart attack and I say to you, "Jim, take me to the fix-it shop," I'm going to a repair place on Main Street for my heart attack. I will have failed to communicate because I have decided that I have my own word that I like better for hospital.

It's the exact same thing as the internet meme, "Let's eat Grandma" versus "Let's eat, Grandma." Grammar saves lives.

It's also the same thing as "I killed a Beatle." Well, either you're Mark David Chapman, or you misspelled.

In all of these cases, I have failed to communicate because I have not stayed in line with common usage.

Last edited by Freericks; 04-25-2013 at 12:54 AM.
Old 04-25-2013, 01:05 AM   #47
jnohallman

Quote:
I just had an epiphany and, Charles, you're not going to like it. Thias is right - sort of. Going by your definition above, which I think most of us except Jim have tended to agree with, that units have to have the ability to MU, I have to provide the following list of "units" capable of MU-ing:

UP 844
UP 3985
SOU 630
NKP 765
SP 4449
SP&S 700
MILW 261
CP 2816

Quote:
Possibly a day of wearing a burka is in order.
Now, shall we commence the debate over whether these "units" are actually real steam engines, since they are capable of MUing with diesels?

Jon

Click here to see my photos on RP.net!

Do not, under any circumstances whatsoever, click here. Don't even think about it. I'm warning you!
jnohallman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 01:13 AM   #48
JimThias

Wow, all this because I called a trackmobile unit a "unit."

I probably shouldn't mention that I refer to engineers as "driving" a train.

Old 04-25-2013, 01:17 AM   #49
Freericks
Met Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnohallman View Post
I just had an epiphany and, Charles, you're not going to like it. Thias is right - sort of. Going by your definition above, which I think most of us except Jim have tended to agree with, that units have to have the ability to MU, I have to provide the following list of "units" capable of MU-ing:

UP 844
UP 3985
SOU 630
NKP 765
SP 4449
SP&S 700
MILW 261
CP 2816

Now, shall we commence the debate over whether these "units" are actually real steam engines, since they are capable of MUing with diesels?

Jon
1) It's not "my" definition. It is the accepted definition among railroaders.

2) Now I may regret questioning this - but are you honestly telling me that when the engineer in SP&S 700 manipulates the throttle in that locomotive that action manipulates the throttle in an attached diesel? Or are you telling me that they have some sort of separate control with which they can regulate an attached diesel (a sort of remote control - not a true MU)?

3) There is quite a list of diesels that can't MU either.

4) This arguement can go on forever and frankly I'm just having fun, not really defending anything so have at it if you want. I honestly don't care if you call a locomotive a jellybean. Call it whatever rmakes you happy. As noted from the start, I only mentioned it because Jim is the Official RP Forum Word Policeman, so he had earned being dinged.

5) I don't have a five, but I typed it so I'm filling it in.

Last edited by Freericks; 04-25-2013 at 01:21 AM.
Old 04-25-2013, 01:19 AM   #50
Freericks
Met Fan

Quote:
Wow, all this because I called a trackmobile unit a "unit."

I probably shouldn't mention that I refer to engineers as "driving" a train.

Jim - as I noted above - just having some fun with you. And you have made it even more fun by defending yourself. I'm sure I'll screw something up in the next day or two and you'll have back at me.

Heck, I've probably screwed something up in this very post.