Old 08-03-2016, 08:04 PM   #1
Justin S.

Default Comp/Balance

Not much to say here, mainly just seeking opinion/guidance. I thought about maybe taking some from the sky, but didn't want to vertically center the photo. I believe there's also a bit of barrel distortion going on, which makes stabilizing the image a bit awkward.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG 1403_2.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	487.4 KB
ID:	9234  
Justin S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 08:19 PM   #2
ShortlinesUSA

I would crop the sky just above the PTC tower (wanting to avoid the "tower to nowhere" if possible, which is the case here) and dial back the saturation a bit. Agreed there is some lens distortion going on, because all objects are leaning toward the focal center of the shot, versus all leaning in one direction. I am certain others on here know the tools to suggest to minimize that effect. My PS skills are slightly beyond cropping, color balance, and dust removal (that is, I am still shooting slides).

Shortline and Regional RR forum moderator
ShortlinesUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 10:23 PM   #3
bigbassloyd

For the existing shot, it needs some cropping done on the right side and some serious distortion correction resulting from a wide angle pointing upwards. Honestly though, the shot should have been taken earlier; zoomed in showcasing the soon to be replaced signal on the left.

Loyd L.

My personal photography site
bigbassloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 12:14 AM   #4
John West
Senior Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbassloyd View Post
Honestly though, the shot should have been taken earlier; zoomed in showcasing the soon to be replaced signal on the left.
I agree. As taken I don't really think it worth the effort to correct the distortion and try to improve the crop. Too loco centric. The signals might have made it much more interesting. As has been discussed on another thread, there is more to railroading than locomotives and it usually improves a picture to surround the locomotives with some interesting details of some sort. But that is me, and other peoples' mileage might vary.
John West is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 02:13 AM   #5
Justin S.

Thanks guys, I certainly agree with what has been stated above. I had originally intended for a shot of the train framed by the signals, but I was worried that the shadows would have made the shot problematic. Looking at the trailing locos, turns out I would've been fine. I really don't like how the shot turned out, but figured I try it for the hell of it. Oh well. Thanks again gents.
Justin S. is offline   Reply With Quote