Old 11-14-2005, 12:56 PM   #1
VirginiaSouthern
Banned

Send a message via AIM to VirginiaSouthern Send a message via Yahoo to VirginiaSouthern
Default South Carolina Central Operations

Does anyone of our members in the Carolinas or otherwise happen to know when the SC Central operates during the week? Also, what are some of the best spots to shoot the railroad from. I'm thinking about taking a day of leave during the week (in the near future) to go up and catch them in action, but would like a little info to better help me. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks much.
VirginiaSouthern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2005, 03:30 PM   #2
Joe the Photog

If you're on YahooGroups, ask the Carolina Rails this question and you may get more responses. My information on howthey run is dated, so I won't confuse you with that. keep in mind that they moved their yard and offices from downtown Hartsville out toward Floyds and the Nucor Steel plant.

They have a nice roster with someclassy GP10s in their own scheme as well as an ex-Canadian National wide nose GP40, two ex-Grand Trunk GP40s and an old Boston & Maine GP38. Three ofthese units are normally on the Florence to Bishopville trash train. They have a SW1200 that they keep on the Society Hill branch.

A god start would be early in the morning around 8 or 9 near the yard. If youcan find the trash train, this is the one I'd shoot first. Other units will be around Darlington working the hoppers from here to there.

Joe H.
Lancaster, SC
Old 11-14-2005, 03:31 PM   #3
VirginiaSouthern
Banned

Send a message via AIM to VirginiaSouthern Send a message via Yahoo to VirginiaSouthern

Thanks Joe! I'm a member of the Carolina Rails group. I'll pose this same question there.

Thanks again.
Old 11-17-2005, 08:20 PM   #4
Joe the Photog

Thomasa;

Ever since you posted this question, every so often a day, I hink about taking the next day off and hitting the South Carolina Central. I've really been wanting to shoot that trash train as well as get some digitalkeepers of the GP10s. I've got a lot on my plate right now shooting football, paradesand moving to a new house though,so I hope to see some of your shots soon.

Joe
Old 11-17-2005, 08:23 PM   #5
VirginiaSouthern
Banned

Joe,

I'm thinking about going next week (taking a day of leave), but I may hold off till the next week since Thanksgiving is going to make for a short week here. It will also be a chance for me to try out some of the tips I received on shutter speed and ap. settings. And worse comes to worse, I'll have my dinky little Cannon Elf digital (2.0 megapixels). I've got 4 shots in the database from that little camera.

Maybe when things calm down a bit for you, we could meet somewhere in the state to do a little railfanning. Haven't done too much down in SC, so would be nice to have someone show me around a bit.
Old 11-27-2005, 11:43 PM   #6
Joe the Photog

Well, somewhat on the spur of the moment, we went to Bishopville yesterday to catch the trash train. The good news is that we caught it; the bad news is that it was horribly backlit.

I'm hoing totake a day oir two off during the week and combine some Christms shopping with some railfanning. I'd love to catch the old Boston & Maine leading again in good sun.

Joe
Old 11-27-2005, 11:45 PM   #7
VirginiaSouthern
Banned

Too bad about the lighting. If you'd be interested in a tag along, send me a PM when you're going. I'd love to tag along.
Old 12-27-2005, 01:19 PM   #8
Joe the Photog

I didn't know until about fifteen minutes before I lft yesterday that I was going to get to shoot the South Carolina Central. Left Lancaster at 8 and could not decide which way to get there. Logic told me to go to Bishopville and then over to Hartsville and hope I catch it on the way. But without thinking, I found myself halfway to Hartsville without going toward Bishopville.

Turns out that I did the right thing as the trash train was in the new yard at just after 9 switching with four units. The HATX 519 was leding the ex-CN wide nose and both ex-Grand Trunk GP40-2s. Since it seemed they weren't going anywhere for a bit, I darted over to Nucor where the old #01 Baldwin still sits in the same spot from late November that I have shared elsewhere on this site.

Back to the new yard where eventually they leave one of the GT units and leave with a colorful consist of locos. I chase this train for a few miles...

Image ©
PhotoID:
Photograph ©

Image ©
PhotoID:
Photograph ©

then come back to the new yard where the GT GP is taking a train toward Hartsville and the big plant near the college leading LFH.

Image ©
PhotoID:
Photograph ©

Satisfied that I had gotten some good shots thus far, I leave for Darlington where I catch SCRF-painted GP10 #75 pulling fifty loads for Quincy. I got some shots....

Image ©
PhotoID:
Photograph ©

and then head over to the Carolina Southern real quick where my luck is not nearly as good. The CALA is not running, but I did manage to shoot the 951 and 950 shut down in Mullins.

Image ©
PhotoID:
Photograph ©

I have shots of these scenes in the database, but no time to link them right now. (The GP10 shot is still knocking on the screeners door.) But keep looking here and at Carolina Rails for the links.

There was also this shot from last week. When I shot it, I didn't realize that some of the Penn central lettering was showing through the Conrail paint.

Image ©
PhotoID:
Photograph ©

Joe

Last edited by Joe the Photog; 12-27-2005 at 02:53 PM.
Joe the Photog is offline   Reply With Quote