Old 07-17-2007, 08:41 PM   #1
jlg759

Default Work Flow Prior to and after enhancement

I have read a lot of great stuff on workflows and processing photos. My question is when you get home from shooting before post processing what is done. I read some people save into a folder, make a copy of the folder and work only on those so not to distroy the originals. How about afterwards do you save a copy for the web , 8x10 , 4x6's or just what is done. Please explain your photo storage and what happens before processing. I am really looking for ideas so I can get the process more fine tuned.

Thanks
jlg759 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 09:23 PM   #2
JRMDC

I save my originals, with files renamed to record basic information. I view myself as careful enough not to overwrite an original raw file, so I don't bother creating a second copy. It's hard to do so when I am opening a raw file and saving to jps or psd; my software warns me if I am overwriting the original.

Beyond that, in the same folders, I save the various jpgs I produce for the web or for printing. But that isn't really "saving" but more like not bothering to delete.

I have one copy of all of my digis, back to my start in 2004, on an external hard disk. Current work is also on my C: drive. Every couple of months I copy my recent stuff to pairs of DVDs which I keep offsite. So anything older than 2 months is in three copies: external HD, DVD, DVD.

As for my filenaming convention, it is leadRR(trainRR).locationMMDDYYtrain.fileextension

So UP(CSX).GaithersburgMD071707Q296.CR2 is a Canon raw file of a UP engine leading CSX train Q296 through Gaithersburg, MD today. Alas, that event did not actually transpire, or more accurately maybe it did but I was not there to see, one way or the other.

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots

Last edited by JRMDC; 07-17-2007 at 09:26 PM.
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 10:37 PM   #3
JimThias

I convert my RAW images to jpg's using Canon's Digital Photo Professional, so "overwriting" or accidentally deleting the original files is impossible.

And when I open up the jpg in photoshop, I save it as a photoshop file, and the jpg that I created from RAW does not get touched, in a way creating another back up. There is no way I can delete or overwrite files with the workflow I have. The only way that would happen is if I intentionally deleted a file.

So anyway...

1. Create a new folder for the new pictures (the file name dated and containing a small explanation of what the pictures are)

2. Open up Canon's DPP. Look through my images and decide which ones I want to process, then save each one as a jpg.

3. Open up saved jpg in Photoshop.

4. Create a new layer and then SAVE, thus creating the image as a photoshop file.

5. On to processing.

Last edited by JimThias; 07-17-2007 at 10:40 PM.
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 04:01 PM   #4
a231pacific

Jim,

Why do you save your RAW as a jpeg and then back as a psd after you work on it? Doesn't the initial conversion to jpeg compress and alter the image?

I save my RAW as a psd, then after processing it I convert that to jpeg for printing and web posting, resizing as necessary.

Michael Allen
a231pacific is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 08:29 PM   #5
JimThias

Quote:
Originally Posted by a231pacific
Jim,

Why do you save your RAW as a jpeg and then back as a psd after you work on it? Doesn't the initial conversion to jpeg compress and alter the image?

I save my RAW as a psd, then after processing it I convert that to jpeg for printing and web posting, resizing as necessary.

Michael Allen
I'd certainly save it as a PSD file if that were an option. DPP only offers jpg, 8 bit and 16 bit TIFF. I've done TIFF before, but those files get huge. If I know I'm going to print a picture, I save it at 300dpi and then convert a copy of it to 72dpi for uploading. I've printed out some of those 300dpi images at 16x20 and they look excellent. If I'm not planning on printing it, I save right to 72dpi.

Other than that, I do just as I explained above and achieve excellent results with it.

Has Canon come out with a newer version of DPP that allows for saving as a PSD file? I guess I could always upgrade to CS2 (I'm currently using PS 7) which recognizes RAW files. Not a big deal, because any of those images I've already processed can be redone from the original RAW files in the future with a newer photoshop program if necessary.
Old 07-18-2007, 08:47 PM   #6
JRMDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimThias
2. Open up Canon's DPP. Look through my images and decide which ones I want to process, then save each one as a jpg.
To avoid the raw-jpg-psd-jpg problem, look through your images with Canon's Zoombrowser instead of DPP, which you should also have. I really like it. I go through all my pix, delete, rename, etc. You can view one at a time, 2, 3, 4. You can view a subset of your shots - so if you take 50 in one outing, you can limit yourself to a subset of, say, 6, that are similar, and decide which to keep and which to reject.

I always thought DPP was for simple processing, plus for raw conversion if your processing software doesn't read raw.

EDIT: I now realize you can't read your raw files, so you need to convert at the same time your are browsing and culling. Ugly! I suggest PS Elements; much cheaper than CS2 and plenty of functionality.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
Old 07-18-2007, 08:53 PM   #7
JimThias

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRMDC

EDIT: I now realize you can't read your raw files, so you need to convert at the same time your are browsing and culling. Ugly! I suggest PS Elements; much cheaper than CS2 and plenty of functionality.
Bottom line, I REALLY just need to get CS2 or 3. I just can't allocate the money for that right now, as I'd rather put it toward debt or more camera equipment. And like I said, as long as I retain the RAW files, I can always go back in the future and avoid that extra conversion step. As for now, I don't really think the loss in quality is noticeable, and my images are certainly up to standard for RP.
Old 07-18-2007, 09:15 PM   #8
JRMDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimThias
As for now, I don't really think the loss in quality is noticeable, and my images are certainly up to standard for RP.
Agreed. In practice, doing one extra save of a jpg at the minimum level of compression (so a several MB file) makes little difference, and probably zero difference for web-sized output.

But it may be worth it for other reasons to pick up PSE. PS 7 doesn't have shadows/highlights, for example. Add those benefits to the easier workflow of doing raw conversion and post processing in one package and it might be worth doing.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
Old 07-18-2007, 09:34 PM   #9
Flowing

My digital photo processing workflow is as follows:

- Transfer images from camera to computer into folders organized by date (July 1 - 15, July 15 - 31, etc.). I usually allocate 75 - 150 photos per folder before starting a new one. I never change the file names and never delete any original photo, and eventually put these folders into a 'year' folder holding all folders (and thus photos) for the whole year.

- When I have a photo I want to upload to the internet, I open the photo in IrfanView and perform whatever processing I have to. I have a system for this also: first, clone out any offending dust specs or hot pixels. That's all I clone out, never ploes, power lines, etc. Then, if necessary, I level the image, which I always do before resizing because it eliminates the appearance of 'jaggies' on the resized photo (releveling after resizing makes the jaggies much more noticable). Then I resize the photo, usually to 1024 pixels wide. Afterwards, I crop the image, and then begin to adjust brightness/contrast/saturation as needed. I then sharpen the image. Irfanview sharpens photos on a scale of 1-50 with 1 being the least sharpened and 50 being the most. I always sharpen at least 5 and may go as high as 15 but usually not any higher. Irfanview is a free program that may not have as many options or offer as much control as other programs but it works fine for me.

- The last thing I do with the edited photo is save it as a separate file from the original. I save all the processed photos in their own folders that usually span 3 - 4 months. At the end of the year, I put these photos into their own 'year' folder just like the originals. My file nomenclature is as follows: monthday-year-locomotive(a,b,c - for multiple images of same unit).jpg. For instance, if I have two processed shots of BNSF 9339 from July 14, 2007 the file names would be july14-2007-bnsf9339.jpg and july14-2007-bnsf9339a.jpg. Then the photos are ready to be uploaded.

Last edited by Flowing; 07-18-2007 at 09:38 PM.
Flowing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 10:13 PM   #10
Ween

Quote:
Has Canon come out with a newer version of DPP that allows for saving as a PSD file?
Not sure about PSD, but there is a new version just released:

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0707/07...anondpp302.asp
Old 07-18-2007, 10:28 PM   #11
JimThias

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ween
Not sure about PSD, but there is a new version just released:

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0707/07...anondpp302.asp

Thanks, Chris, I'll give it a try.
Old 07-18-2007, 11:14 PM   #12
Rich K

I have a folder for each month. In that folder is a subfolder for each date in that month I take photos, and inside each of those folders another called RAW. So it looks like this ----

July
...7_01_07
....RAW

I shoot only in RAW, so photos go from camera into the RAW folder for the correct date. The date folder (ie 7_01_07 as shown above) is where my psd files and finished jpg files are stored.)

Photos intended for submission here (as well as shots of family, grandkids, etc.) are first accessed with Adobe Camera Raw and some basic processing is done there. Then the photo is opened in Photoshop Elements (PE) 5.0 and post processed in earnest. The psd files and the finished jpg files are saved in the date folder one level above the RAW folder. The RAW files are never altered and remain in their own folder.

More casual and less important (to me) stuff is processed using the RAW file software that came with my Sony A100 DSLR and usually Picasa and/or IrfanView. The RAW files still remain unaltered and in their own folder. For these I almost always discard the RAW file at some point since RAW files from my camera are over 10 megs each!

Periodically I review the older stuff and discard any RAW and psd files I don't expect i will ever need again.

Webmaster of The Railfan Gallery

Click Here to view my photos at RailPictures.net

Last edited by Rich K; 07-18-2007 at 11:27 PM.
Rich K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 02:53 AM   #13
Ween

What's the benefit of saving in PSD vs. TIF?
Old 07-19-2007, 04:12 PM   #14
JimThias

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ween
What's the benefit of saving in PSD vs. TIF?
Well, I'm guessing there is less compression when saved as at TIFF file, so to go from TIFF to PSD would probably be a notch up in quality instead of RAW --> JPG --> PSD (although probably negligible).
Old 07-19-2007, 04:34 PM   #15
JRMDC

If anything, TIFF is a more universal format than PSD, which is just Adobe's internal format for PS and PS Elements software. Is there any non-Adobe software that will read a PSD?

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
Old 07-20-2007, 04:37 AM   #16
a231pacific

PSD is an Adobe uncompressed proprietary format, so the image is as good as a TIFF file but the file is a lot smaller. If you need to send the file to someone for printing or publication, you can convert it to a TIFF. Saving all your photos as TIFF's just means you need a lot more storage.

Michael Allen
a231pacific is offline   Reply With Quote