Old 12-16-2007, 11:30 PM   #1
Chicago Railfan

Send a message via AIM to Chicago Railfan Send a message via Yahoo to Chicago Railfan
Default Your thoughts?

I don't get my uploading privilages back until next week/year, but I just want to know your take on this picture. Like it, hate it?

Chicago Railfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 01:02 AM   #2
Mike B.
Banned

No thanks.
Mike B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 01:21 AM   #3
Cyclonetrain

Send a message via AIM to Cyclonetrain Send a message via Yahoo to Cyclonetrain

Err... No. The picture screams "pointless"

Last edited by Cyclonetrain; 12-17-2007 at 02:55 AM.
Cyclonetrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 01:23 AM   #4
JRMDC

What is the point of the picture? The truck? The trailer support? The kicked up snow? The trailers? I don't see it. Putting aside RP, for which I think the shot has no chance, look at it as a photograph. What is the shot about and how does the composition get you there, and is there anything pulling the viewer away from that? There are distracting details on the left side. The big ROADWAY logo is cut off (too bad it's not on the second trailer). The kicked up snow hides detail yet is itself uninteresting.

As a non-RP picture I'm not opposed to the general concept. although I think an interesting mid-train shot is hard to pull off because it is often uninteresting, but this one, I don't even see how to get there from here.

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 02:45 AM   #5
Chicago Railfan

Send a message via AIM to Chicago Railfan Send a message via Yahoo to Chicago Railfan

Ok. I'll try again a different day to get that shot from a different location.
Old 12-17-2007, 02:58 AM   #6
F40PH271

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRMDC
What is the point of the picture? The truck? The trailer support? The kicked up snow? The trailers? I don't see it. Putting aside RP, for which I think the shot has no chance, look at it as a photograph. What is the shot about and how does the composition get you there, and is there anything pulling the viewer away from that? There are distracting details on the left side. The big ROADWAY logo is cut off (too bad it's not on the second trailer). The kicked up snow hides detail yet is itself uninteresting.

As a non-RP picture I'm not opposed to the general concept. although I think an interesting mid-train shot is hard to pull off because it is often uninteresting, but this one, I don't even see how to get there from here.
At least he trying something new as opposed to the old "Zoom in, get a photo, zoom out, get a photo and submit them both" technique.

I suppose he could find random signs that say something really witty and interesting, then have the train out of focus in the background. If that fails, maybe like a mile marker.

Keep trying Chicago Railfan, while this is just another photo with nothing really special, I am sure you will succeed soon.
F40PH271 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 03:50 AM   #7
ssw9662

Decent idea, but something just looks "missing" in this one. I would try this shot again with some early morning/late afternoon glint lighting or some falling snow to make it look interesting, the plain blue sky just doesn't look very exciting in this one.
Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM
Canon 50mm f/1.8
My Railpictures.net Photos
flickr
ssw9662 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 04:07 AM   #8
NSFan14

you know maybe this is none of my buisness. But why do we always have to be mean to one another? Couldnt we have just said. Pic looks ok but not my type and most lily not RP.Nets type. Intead of saying ''Nope whats the point of the pic?''. This isnt my fight but can we just be a little nicer at times?
Old 12-17-2007, 06:17 AM   #9
PLEzero

He asked for opinions. People responded with their thoughts. I don't think anyone stands out as being mean or too harsh. I agree with those who said the photo seems 'pointless'. There is no real focus point. It is an eye level shot taken between a row of poles and a train. If it was taken closer to the ground looking at the train more there might be more of a 'point' behind the photo; something to focus on. Another possibility would be to work the row of lights with holiday decorations on them into the photo. I believe 'pointless' is a good and constructive term to use when responding to the question which was asked.
My RP.net Photos
PLEzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 11:03 AM   #10
jdirelan87

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSFan14
you know maybe this is none of my buisness. But why do we always have to be mean to one another? Couldnt we have just said. Pic looks ok but not my type and most lily not RP.Nets type. Intead of saying ''Nope whats the point of the pic?''. This isnt my fight but can we just be a little nicer at times?
So if someone ask you for your opinion, you're not going to give it to them because thats pretty much what you're saying
jdirelan87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 12:15 PM   #11
Mike B.
Banned

Quote:
He asked for honest criticism and that's what he got. I would rather be around people who are brutally honest than people who sugar coat everything so no ones feelings are hurt. Honest criticism can be a hard thing to take at times, but if you use it properly and effectively, it's very rewarding.

I even have a quote in my sig about it.
Mike B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 12:24 PM   #12
Chicago Railfan

No opinion about the conflict going on right now, but I will try again with a sunset look. Thanks guys.
Old 12-17-2007, 01:02 PM   #13
JimThias

Quote:
Originally Posted by F40PH271
At least he trying something new as opposed to the old "Zoom in, get a photo, zoom out, get a photo and submit them both" technique.

I suppose he could find random signs that say something really witty and interesting, then have the train out of focus in the background. If that fails, maybe like a mile marker.
Are you suggesting that the majority of shots in the database fall into either one of those descriptions?
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 01:14 PM   #14
JRMDC

Quote:

Let me be clear that I did not intend to be mean or hostile in any way.

But I disagree strongly with the second point. In my view the pic is not even as good as "ok" and I gave specific reasons why, with intent to inform (regarding my one view) rather than put down.

Tastes differ regarding subject matter, but even given any subject matter, some images work much better than others and one can (and should, to be helpful!) give one's measured response to them.

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots

Last edited by JRMDC; 12-17-2007 at 01:21 PM.
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 01:45 PM   #15
Ween

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimThias
Are you suggesting that the majority of shots in the database fall into either one of those descriptions?
No. He's talking about things CR has caught flak about in the past...
Old 12-17-2007, 07:09 PM   #16
JimThias

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ween
No. He's talking about things CR has caught flak about in the past...
Ahh, ok, I understand the context now.
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote