Old 02-19-2015, 01:59 AM   #26
JRMDC
Senior Member
 
JRMDC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 11,195
Default

That's MoW equipment, Mitch, not a real train! :O)
__________________
My RP pix are here.
My Flickr pix are here.

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 01:00 AM   #27
Mgoldman
Senior Member
 
Mgoldman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 3,574
Default

Must have been out-linked....

Great shot, Loyd!

Image © Loyd Lowry
PhotoID: 520353
Photograph © Loyd Lowry


Yes - we've seen this type of shot before - does that really make it - or the effort - less impressive?

/Mitch
Mgoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 03:48 AM   #28
bigbassloyd
Senior Member
 
bigbassloyd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Hilldale, West Virginia
Posts: 3,498
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgoldman View Post
Must have been out-linked....

Great shot, Loyd!

Image © Loyd Lowry
PhotoID: 520353
Photograph © Loyd Lowry


Yes - we've seen this type of shot before - does that really make it - or the effort - less impressive?

/Mitch
Should I have went with the bigger snow explosion? I liked the light on the nose more on the submitted version, myself. I was just thankful that the railroad gave me the opportunity to capture the shots for them.



My first time seeing this in person. I learned that 125 foot from the crossing isn't enough...

Thanks Mitch!

Loyd L.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	6dAugustaSpringsSnowBustin.jpg
Views:	1008
Size:	802.5 KB
ID:	8921  
__________________
You can tell from my upload pattern just how bad I want to be a well known railroad photographer...

American Rails dot com - A fantastic website with tons of information and photographs related to American railroads and locomotives.
bigbassloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 05:48 AM   #29
CSX1702
Senior Member
 
CSX1702's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Cincinnati, Ohio
Posts: 1,265
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbassloyd View Post
Should I have went with the bigger snow explosion? I liked the light on the nose more on the submitted version, myself. I was just thankful that the railroad gave me the opportunity to capture the shots for them.



My first time seeing this in person. I learned that 125 foot from the crossing isn't enough...

Thanks Mitch!

Loyd L.
In my opinion, this one is much more dramatic. I haven't experienced this in person yet, but its on the to-do list. I think next winter, I will go out in the snow more often.
__________________
Derek

Flickr

Out Of Place Album
CSX1702 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 06:08 AM   #30
miningcamper1
Senior Member
 
miningcamper1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 1,011
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbassloyd View Post
Should I have went with the bigger snow explosion? I liked the light on the nose more on the submitted version, myself.
Other version is too much like this one:
Image © Frank Jolin
PhotoID: 519881
Photograph © Frank Jolin

It's good to have more than a headlight or number boards visible. You chose well.
__________________
flickr photostream: http://www.flickr.com/photos/11947249@N03/

RP Photos: www.railpictures.net/miningcamper1/

Last edited by miningcamper1; 03-18-2015 at 03:25 PM. Reason: correction
miningcamper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 12:46 PM   #31
JimThias
Senior Member
 
JimThias's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Grand Rapids, MI
Posts: 9,798
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbassloyd View Post
Should I have went with the bigger snow explosion? I liked the light on the nose more on the submitted version, myself. I was just thankful that the railroad gave me the opportunity to capture the shots for them.
I prefer your accepted version. It has a better balance of nose and flying snow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by miningcamper1 View Post
Other version is too much like one:
Image © Frank Jolin
PhotoID: 519881
Photograph © Frank Jolin

It's good to have more than a headlight or number boards visible. You chose well.
Not bad, but I prefer Loyd's much more. Not enough nose visible in that one.
__________________
.
Rhymes with slice, rice and mice, and probably should be spelled like "Tice."

This pretty much sums it up: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Thias
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 05:54 AM   #32
Mgoldman
Senior Member
 
Mgoldman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 3,574
Default

Have you all seen Anthony Dickson's "SCL Trainman"?

POTW /PC material here - couldn't have composed it better had I the chance!

Image © Anthony Dickson
PhotoID: 548317
Photograph © Anthony Dickson


/Mitch
Mgoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 07:02 PM   #33
adickson
Senior Member
 
adickson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Central NC
Posts: 236
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgoldman View Post
Have you all seen Anthony Dickson's "SCL Trainman"?

POTW /PC material here - couldn't have composed it better had I the chance!

Image © Anthony Dickson
PhotoID: 548317
Photograph © Anthony Dickson


/Mitch
Thanks, Mitch!
__________________
Anthony Dickson
www.vidivides.com
www.flickr.com/photos/adickson87/
adickson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 02:19 AM   #34
JimThias
Senior Member
 
JimThias's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Grand Rapids, MI
Posts: 9,798
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgoldman View Post
Have you all seen Anthony Dickson's "SCL Trainman"?

POTW /PC material here - couldn't have composed it better had I the chance!
Staged!!

(Well done, AD!)
__________________
.
Rhymes with slice, rice and mice, and probably should be spelled like "Tice."

This pretty much sums it up: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Thias
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 04:06 AM   #35
miningcamper1
Senior Member
 
miningcamper1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 1,011
Default

"Staged!!"

Honestly, now. How many still life scenes aren't? Those autumn leaves or old bottles or flowers would look so much better rearranged ever-so-slightly...
__________________
flickr photostream: http://www.flickr.com/photos/11947249@N03/

RP Photos: www.railpictures.net/miningcamper1/
miningcamper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 04:08 AM   #36
JRMDC
Senior Member
 
JRMDC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 11,195
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimThias View Post
Staged!!

(Well done, AD!)
Quote:
Originally Posted by miningcamper1 View Post
"Staged!!"

Honestly, now. How many still life scenes aren't? Those autumn leaves or old bottles or flowers would look so much better rearranged ever-so-slightly...
Gosh, Jim! I don't think you did enough to convey tone. Try harder next time, will ya? [I'd insert two or six emoticons, but one can't use enough, really, so why try?]
__________________
My RP pix are here.
My Flickr pix are here.

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 01:03 AM   #37
Dennis A. Livesey
Senior Member
 
Dennis A. Livesey's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 1,950
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgoldman View Post
Latest under the radar image posted yesterday by Georg Trüb:

Image © Georg Trüb
PhotoID: 519379
Photograph © Georg Trüb


/Mitch
Nice!

Here is one that caught my eye and more people need to see.

Image © Jon Wright
PhotoID: 548538
Photograph © Jon Wright
__________________
Dennis

I Foam Therefore I Am.

My pix on RailPics:

I am on Flickr as well:

"Dennis is such a God, he could do that with a camera obscura and some homemade acetate." Holloran Grade

"To me it looks drawn in in Paintshop. It looks like a puddle of orange on the sky." SFO777
Dennis A. Livesey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 02:33 PM   #38
troy12n
Senior Member
 
troy12n's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 5,378
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgoldman View Post
Have you all seen Anthony Dickson's "SCL Trainman"?

POTW /PC material here - couldn't have composed it better had I the chance!

Image © Anthony Dickson
PhotoID: 548317
Photograph © Anthony Dickson


/Mitch
So I saw that photo and the first thing I thought of was how it would be today...

So a crew out of town gets dropped off by the PTI bus at the cheapest motel in town, the conductor gets a room and the engineer gets a room, they go their separate ways. They get to their room, pull out a bottle of booze, turn on their laptop, navigate to their porn site of choice, do the deed, then go to bed and wait for their next call 8 hours from then

That's some life!
__________________
My RP.net photos
troy12n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 03:32 PM   #39
JimThias
Senior Member
 
JimThias's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Grand Rapids, MI
Posts: 9,798
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by miningcamper1 View Post
"Staged!!"

Honestly, now. How many still life scenes aren't?
B.S.! A REAL photographer would sneak into the room of a sleeping crew member to get a shot like that.
__________________
.
Rhymes with slice, rice and mice, and probably should be spelled like "Tice."

This pretty much sums it up: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Thias
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 07:02 PM   #40
loomus78
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 94
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis A. Livesey View Post
Nice!

Here is one that caught my eye and more people need to see.

Image © Jon Wright
PhotoID: 548538
Photograph © Jon Wright
Thank you Dennis!
__________________
Jon Wright
Martinsburg, WV
CSX Cumberland Sub
Milepost 105.00
loomus78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 08:45 PM   #41
Mgoldman
Senior Member
 
Mgoldman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 3,574
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis A. Livesey View Post
Nice!

Here is one that caught my eye and more people need to see.

Image © Jon Wright
PhotoID: 548538
Photograph © Jon Wright

Pfffft... that's junk!

You cut off the "Harpers Ferry" sign on the roof. A few more feet of elevation and you'd have had it! Now go back and do it right, lol.

Ever see a shot AFTER you took it and realize that ONE thing you wish you did differently? The pole coming out of a stack, that one branch? Or, the sign you didn't work into the shot? Back on the bucket list - with a ladder!

Kidding- mostly, as I'm not sure how much height you'd need to get that sign but it reminded me of a shot I got of the NKP #765 rounding the bend past the station at Cresco. A good friend looked at me, where I was standing and said - can you get the "Cresco" sign from that angle? Shwew! That'd have bugged me. Just as if I came home and didn't see Mallory in my shot at Boonton!

Image © Greg Lacko
PhotoID: 547230
Photograph © Greg Lacko


No hard feelings, Greg (lol - there's an unintended pun in there somewhere)

Image © Dennis A. Livesey
PhotoID: 547289
Photograph © Dennis A. Livesey


/Mitch

Incidentally, Jon - I agree, that's a nice shot. Reminds me of the photo Dennis and I took in Baltimore of the old B&O station though I believe we both went B&W. Nice color with yours - and a cool sky!
Mgoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 01:48 AM   #42
loomus78
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 94
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgoldman View Post
Pfffft... that's junk!

You cut off the "Harpers Ferry" sign on the roof. A few more feet of elevation and you'd have had it! Now go back and do it right, lol.

Ever see a shot AFTER you took it and realize that ONE thing you wish you did differently? The pole coming out of a stack, that one branch? Or, the sign you didn't work into the shot? Back on the bucket list - with a ladder!

Kidding- mostly, as I'm not sure how much height you'd need to get that sign but it reminded me of a shot I got of the NKP #765 rounding the bend past the station at Cresco. A good friend looked at me, where I was standing and said - can you get the "Cresco" sign from that angle? Shwew! That'd have bugged me. Just as if I came home and didn't see Mallory in my shot at Boonton!

Image © Greg Lacko
PhotoID: 547230
Photograph © Greg Lacko


No hard feelings, Greg (lol - there's an unintended pun in there somewhere)

Image © Dennis A. Livesey
PhotoID: 547289
Photograph © Dennis A. Livesey


/Mitch

Incidentally, Jon - I agree, that's a nice shot. Reminds me of the photo Dennis and I took in Baltimore of the old B&O station though I believe we both went B&W. Nice color with yours - and a cool sky!
Thanks Mitch,
The sign doesn't bug me as from that vantage, there's only so much room between the tracks and railing unless you use one of those extender tripods. Incidentally, the tower itself is lit by an oncoming train and I can guarantee neither myself or the equipment would survive if on a ladder, etc... So the sign doesn't bug me.

That is also one of those shots where the color tone plays a lot into the scene. To my right along the length of the station are about 5 of those hard bright sodium lights that give off that blue hue so the bottom of the frame is a lot warmer than the rest of the photo.
__________________
Jon Wright
Martinsburg, WV
CSX Cumberland Sub
Milepost 105.00
loomus78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 01:49 PM   #43
JMeade
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 50
Default

I thought this one by John Crisanti was exceptionally done.

Click image for larger version

Name:	6396.1439551575.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	349.4 KB
ID:	9033
JMeade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 03:30 AM   #44
Dennis A. Livesey
Senior Member
 
Dennis A. Livesey's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 1,950
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMeade View Post
I thought this one by John Crisanti was exceptionally done.

Attachment 9033
John has a great eye and processing skills. Note the grey color wall. I love that.

I must admit I would have removed the plastic trash can that imparts an anachronistic sour note either pre or post processing.
__________________
Dennis

I Foam Therefore I Am.

My pix on RailPics:

I am on Flickr as well:

"Dennis is such a God, he could do that with a camera obscura and some homemade acetate." Holloran Grade

"To me it looks drawn in in Paintshop. It looks like a puddle of orange on the sky." SFO777
Dennis A. Livesey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 04:23 PM   #45
JimThias
Senior Member
 
JimThias's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Grand Rapids, MI
Posts: 9,798
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis A. Livesey View Post
I must admit I would have removed the plastic trash can that imparts an anachronistic sour note either pre or post processing.
I would have as well, but then again, removing trash cans from rooms prior to taking photos is something I do nearly every day. Most people don't even notice them...or care.
__________________
.
Rhymes with slice, rice and mice, and probably should be spelled like "Tice."

This pretty much sums it up: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Thias
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 06:59 PM   #46
Mgoldman
Senior Member
 
Mgoldman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 3,574
Default

Can I plug my own (re-edited) shot?

It's been over a week and this 1/15th "zoom-pan" of N&W #611 has yet to break a 1000 views. It didn't even reach 400 during the first 24 hours. It was posted during the big drone linking blitz last week - bad timing out of my control.

It was a "high risk" shot for me - there being so little sun and blue skies during the July 4th weekend in Roanoke and it being the first time I ever saw #611 in action. Typically, I like to lock in a couple sure shots before grabbing a pan - but, no guts no glory, right?

Another good reason to post this shot here in the gallery is that I have re-edited the shot. The first time around I had left the ballast a bit overexposed - wouldn't it be nice to get an alert from RP when a shot you are following (commented on or liked) gets resubmitted?

So - everyone catch this one first time around?

Image © Mitch Goldman
PhotoID: 549313
Photograph © Mitch Goldman


/Mitch

Last edited by Mgoldman; 10-14-2015 at 07:01 PM.
Mgoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 12:37 AM   #47
Mberry
Senior Member
 
Mberry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Lasalle, Qc
Posts: 623
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgoldman View Post
Can I plug my own (re-edited) shot?

It's been over a week and this 1/15th "zoom-pan" of N&W #611 has yet to break a 1000 views. It didn't even reach 400 during the first 24 hours. It was posted during the big drone linking blitz last week - bad timing out of my control.

It was a "high risk" shot for me - there being so little sun and blue skies during the July 4th weekend in Roanoke and it being the first time I ever saw #611 in action. Typically, I like to lock in a couple sure shots before grabbing a pan - but, no guts no glory, right?

Another good reason to post this shot here in the gallery is that I have re-edited the shot. The first time around I had left the ballast a bit overexposed - wouldn't it be nice to get an alert from RP when a shot you are following (commented on or liked) gets resubmitted?

So - everyone catch this one first time around?

Image © Mitch Goldman
PhotoID: 549313
Photograph © Mitch Goldman


/Mitch
I caught it last time you linked it on the forums.
Mberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 05:06 AM   #48
Mgoldman
Senior Member
 
Mgoldman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 3,574
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mberry View Post
I caught it last time you linked it on the forums.
Oh, right! But different thread topic - and since then, resubmitted as a much improved edit.

/Mitch
Mgoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 12:38 PM   #49
JimThias
Senior Member
 
JimThias's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Grand Rapids, MI
Posts: 9,798
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgoldman View Post

So - everyone catch this one first time around?

Image © Mitch Goldman
PhotoID: 549313
Photograph © Mitch Goldman


/Mitch

Quote:
Posted by Robert Richardson on October 9, 2015
I'll be the first one to say that it was photoshopped. I don't know if Mitch did this or not, but here how it could be done. First you take the "quick selection tool" and you outline or isolate the train, then you go to the "select" tab and choose "invert" or "inverse", then you go to the filters tab and choose your blur filter, and then sub tab "motion blur", and tone to your taste. As I said I don't know if this is how Mitch did his, but this is why I think the train is sharp through the whole image, and the rest of the image is blurred.
__________________
.
Rhymes with slice, rice and mice, and probably should be spelled like "Tice."

This pretty much sums it up: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Thias
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 05:42 AM   #50
CSX1702
Senior Member
 
CSX1702's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Cincinnati, Ohio
Posts: 1,265
Default

Mitch your hand is so steady you got people thinking you're a photoshopper. That's like legendary level.
__________________
Derek

Flickr

Out Of Place Album
CSX1702 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 06:43 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.