Old 01-22-2018, 03:19 PM   #1
David Harrison

Default Composition: Too Loose

I've never heard of this one..."too loose." Or the train is "too far away." From my eye, I see scenic photos by the thousands here. Urban views don't contain hills and mountains. Secondly, "train too far away"?? Two from this group did make it.

http://www.railpictures.net/images/d...1516598483.jpg

http://www.railpictures.net/images/d...1516597075.jpg
"Composition (Too Loose): The image is too loosely composed, meaning that there is excessive dead/empty space between the subject and the edges of the photo."

http://www.railpictures.net/images/d...1516596482.jpg "Subject Too Far Away: The train is too far in the distance."

Image © David Harrison
PhotoID: 645496
Photograph © David Harrison

Image © David Harrison
PhotoID: 645494

DH

Last edited by David Harrison; 01-22-2018 at 03:21 PM.
David Harrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 03:40 PM   #2
bigbassloyd

first link - lose basically the entire right side of the frame. A shadowed building isn't doing the scene any favors.

second link - tons of dead space that holds no artistic value for the composition. Frame it much closer to the train / church steeple

third link - That scene screams for a mega zoom composition that includes the trees for framing elements, and the background of the city scape. The composition as it stands is way too wide and boring.

Loyd L.

American Rails dot com - A fantastic website with tons of information and photographs related to American railroads and locomotives.
bigbassloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 11:28 PM   #3
RobJor

I'd say Loyd pretty much covered it. Just look at the difference between your accepted and rejected. I would add the one of the Green Line?? with the parking lot and chain link fence, there are many great locations and that just doesn't seem to be one unless you just happen to be on the job around there. The apartment building, keep the classic Chicago porches, crop bottom and right, there are also some dirt spots??? you could hit with healing brush. To be picky, on the accepted one looking up, I would have liked to see down to the street level and not so much sky.

I'll drag out a couple of mine as example of including the full L stucture and street scene.

Image © Robert Jordan
PhotoID: 637186
Photograph © Robert Jordan

Image © Robert Jordan
PhotoID: 640104

Bob
RobJor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 12:23 AM   #4
miningcamper1

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobJor View Post

I'll drag out a couple of mine as example of including the full L stucture and street scene.

Image © Robert Jordan
PhotoID: 640104

Fine shot, but Oh! The lean.

RP Photos: www.railpictures.net/miningcamper1/
miningcamper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 01:23 AM   #5
RobJor

Quote:
Originally Posted by miningcamper1 View Post
Fine shot, but Oh! The lean.
I knew it!!!! I plead Creative interpretation!! LOL

I don't remember processing , but shooting up at that angle with 35mm, I think I corrected some and would start losing some of the bottom foreground if I did auto correct, so gave it try. But just buses on wheels anyway.

Bob
Old 01-23-2018, 01:15 PM   #6
JimThias

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Harrison View Post
http://www.railpictures.net/images/d...1516597075.jpg
"Composition (Too Loose): The image is too loosely composed, meaning that there is excessive dead/empty space between the subject and the edges of the photo."
Why didn't you capture the cars over to the right? They are clashing with the light pole and church steeple. The whole right side of the image feels empty.

This pretty much sums it up: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Thias
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 06:52 PM   #7
David Harrison

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbassloyd View Post
first link - lose basically the entire right side of the frame. A shadowed building isn't doing the scene any favors.

Loyd L.
Thanks to all. One reason why I put in urban visas which many see as wasted space because I see 60 to 75 percent of pictures accepted here include scenery ...hills, trees, cliffs, rivers, sky, clouds, etc. I realize that the expanse of the wall of a courtway building is not exciting to all.

When I follow the suggestion to crop that wall and crop the left, top, and bottom; and I resubmit....a new problem appears...."Upload Failed." Chris said: "Sounds like your images are too big (over 2mb). That's normally what causes this error."

Mac Pro laptop using iPhoto has not given me the resources to deal with this. I've played with the width from 1200 on down, submitting over 20 copies and getting 20 "failed" until I get "too small." That's when I give up and go on to a different photo.

The question that I can't seen the find an answer too....when the first photo meets the specs, when I crop, why does the second submission, not go through with "upload failed."

DH

Last edited by David Harrison; 01-23-2018 at 09:27 PM.
Old 01-23-2018, 10:02 PM   #8
miningcamper1

Quote:

The question that I can't seen the find an answer too....when the first photo meets the specs, when I crop, why does the second submission, not go through with "upload failed."

DH
Try posting one of those "upload failed" shots here so we can see what's been going wrong.

Old 01-23-2018, 11:11 PM   #9
David Harrison

Quote:
Originally Posted by miningcamper1 View Post
Try posting one of those "upload failed" shots here so we can see what's been going wrong.
http://www.railpictures.net/images/d...1516598483.jpg

Top two are the original. (From RP, and Photobucket) Bottom is failed one (Photobucket).
DH

Last edited by David Harrison; 01-23-2018 at 11:16 PM.
Old 01-24-2018, 12:08 AM   #10
RobJor

Where are you trying to upload to RP's from. You should be trying to upload them from your local drive(on your computer) or maybe your own cloud not from a third part source.????

After editing I save to my local drive(drive on my computer) in the folder with the original image with a very creative name like railpics-01, avoiding any special characters. Bob
Old 01-24-2018, 02:26 AM   #11
JimThias

All I'm sayin' is that I think the train cars placed here on the bridge along with a slightly tighter cropped would have worked better...

Click image for larger version

Name:	6646.1516597075.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	493.3 KB
ID:	9559

This pretty much sums it up: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Thias
Old 01-24-2018, 02:27 AM   #12
David Harrison

Quote:
Where are you trying to upload to RP's from. You should be trying to upload them from your local drive(on your computer) or maybe your own cloud not from a third part source.????

After editing I save to my local drive(drive on my computer) in the folder with the original image with a very creative name like railpics-01, avoiding any special characters. Bob
I'm trying to get an answer about if I crop out the sides that some say "is too wide, boring, has no interest, has tons of dead space"...the cropped submission gets rejected with "upload failed" greater than 2mb. Whereas the original was accepted... conformed within the 1200 width and less than 2mb.

DH
Old 01-24-2018, 06:27 AM   #13
miningcamper1

Quote:
I'm trying to get an answer about if I crop out the sides that some say "is too wide, boring, has no interest, has tons of dead space"...the cropped submission gets rejected with "upload failed" greater than 2mb. Whereas the original was accepted... conformed within the 1200 width and less than 2mb.

DH
When you crop something off, the file should get smaller, not larger. Something is amiss in your workflow.

I do all editing on a 2400 x whatever TIF file. This gets converted to JPG for Flickr. If I decide to submit here, I resize that TIF down to 1200 x whatever JPG with sharpening if needed. No file size problems ever.
If changes are needed, I always go back to that large TIF file, and then resize down again.

Last edited by miningcamper1; 01-24-2018 at 01:47 PM. Reason: addition
Old 01-24-2018, 12:20 PM   #14
RobJor

Quote:

DH
The uploaded examples are now an error message. For information about your software I would suggest searching the web for your problem, for example
iphoto: How do I reduce the file size of my jpeg-

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/7580270

Trying to be polite and sympathetic because we can all get caught up in computer snafu's I believe you are not willing to read the answers. Read about your software, save to a local drive, I would not save to iphoto or photobucket and then upload from there. As noted, the file should not get larger.

Bob
Old 01-24-2018, 04:48 PM   #15
David Harrison

Quote:
The uploaded examples are now an error message. For information about your software I would suggest searching the web for your problem, for example
iphoto: How do I reduce the file size of my jpeg-

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/7580270

Trying to be polite and sympathetic because we can all get caught up in computer snafu's I believe you are not willing to read the answers. Read about your software, save to a local drive, I would not save to iphoto or photobucket and then upload from there. As noted, the file should not get larger.

Bob
Thanks Bob, thanks all others. Even though I have 106 photos in the database, I am not a serious photographer. I do not have Flicker, or any other good website. Photobucket has become a jungle of advertisements. I'm stuck in MAC's iPhoto.

I used your discussion.apple to post this question:....."File > Size > Custom > Max > Dimension > There two diagrams, height and width. Which do I write first? What do I write separating the two dimensions….. comma, “px”, or just a space?
David"

I asked this question because it I write the size as 870 x 1150, RP tells me my entry was denied for being too small (width). Reverse and submit...1150 x 870 and I get "upload failed." By the way, I resubmitted and original photo, with all the "extra wasted space" IT GOES THROUGH. Go figure! Of course, I deleted that.

We will see what develops.
Old 01-24-2018, 09:15 PM   #16
ATSF666

I think you cannot load a photo that is taller than 1000.
Old 01-30-2018, 04:15 PM   #17
RobJor

Image © David Harrison
PhotoID: 646445

See you figured things out and got this one and a few others. Should do pretty well.

Bob
Old 01-31-2018, 01:11 AM   #18
JimThias

Yes! Looks much better with the cars positioned there on the bridge. But now it's unlevel.

Old 01-31-2018, 01:57 PM   #19
RobJor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimThias View Post
Yes! Looks much better with the cars positioned there on the bridge. But now it's unlevel.

Hey, give him a break. Besides It gives the train a little more of the uphill look. Smile.

Bob
Old 02-19-2018, 04:44 AM   #20
David Harrison

Quote:
Actually the bridge is on an upslope...there's a crossing over another RR about 1000 ft. Here a view taken from another train.
Image © David Harrison
PhotoID: 646368

David

Last edited by David Harrison; 02-19-2018 at 04:50 AM.
Old 02-21-2018, 02:17 PM   #21
JimThias

Quote:
Actually the bridge is on an upslope.
Except, I wasn't talking about the bridge. All the verticals are leaning...badly. The image desperately needs CW rotation.

Old Yesterday, 02:35 AM   #22
David Harrison

Quote:
Except, I wasn't talking about the bridge. All the verticals are leaning...badly. The image desperately needs CW rotation.
Respectfully, Jim, I reproduced the photo and to me, the light standard, the pinnings in the center, the ribs on the horizontal under pinning steel, are all horizontal. The original uprights, the train, were not used to determine the level. Plus the bridge is on a curve, and it is rising to carry it over the Metra RR 1000 FT EAST, at least the original structure is.

Image © David Harrison

David
Old Yesterday, 05:51 AM   #23
miningcamper1

Quote:
Respectfully, Jim, I reproduced the photo and to me, the light standard, the pinnings in the center, the ribs on the horizontal under pinning steel, are all horizontal. The original uprights, the train, were not used to determine the level. Plus the bridge is on a curve, and it is rising to carry it over the Metra RR 1000 FT EAST, at least the original structure is.

Image © David Harrison

David
Horizontal elements tend to be unreliable. I can't find a single vertical anywhere in the shot that's not leaning left. See quick edit below:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	showimage.php (2).jpg
Views:	15
Size:	804.5 KB
ID:	9572