Old 04-28-2011, 03:17 PM   #1
oltmannd

Default new policy?

Your current 24 hour upload limit is 2.

What happened to 10?
oltmannd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 04:06 PM   #2
crazytiger

This is one of the most oft-discussed topics here. Basically, pre-2004(ish) there were no upload limits. Then in early 2009, new members started at 2, others being grandfathered in. On a case-by-case basis, the Admins will lower the uploads if they don't like something you are doing, just generally, uploading a bunch of crap, or violating rules or something. Now, as it appears you were in the grandfathered group, you have to figure out why you got relegated to 2. I don't know, maybe they made all non-elite members have 2 uploads?

Canon EOS 40D
Canon EF 50 f/1.8 II
Canon EF 70-200mm f/4 L USM
Canon EF-S 17-85mm f/4-5.6 IS USM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Friend
everytime i see non-train photos of yours i think, "so much talent. wasted on trains."
crazytiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 04:15 PM   #3
jnohallman

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazytiger View Post
I don't know, maybe they made all non-elite members have 2 uploads?
Nope.

Jon

Click here to see my photos on RP.net!

Do not, under any circumstances whatsoever, click here. Don't even think about it. I'm warning you!
jnohallman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 04:28 PM   #4
oltmannd

I've had an half dozen or so "Top in past 24 hrs" shots in the past month or so, so I don't think it's quality of the uploads so much.

What typically happens is I'll upload 10, get 1 or 2 accepted (never the ones I would have predicted!), appeal 4 or 5, get one or two of those in. Then, I'll tweak the ones I really like according to the reject reason and try them again the next day.

I was 2 for 2 today when the hammer came down.

Just wish they'd have let me know....
Old 04-28-2011, 04:30 PM   #5
coborn35

1 or 2 of 10 is not a good percentage. Even in baseball your on the bench for batting .150
I personally have had a problem with those trying to tell us to turn railroad photography into an "art form." It's fine for them to do so, I welcome it in fact, but what I do have a problem with is that the practitioners of the more "arty" shots, I have found, tend to look down their nose's at others who are shooting more "mundane" shots.
Railroad photography is what you make of it, but one way is not "better" than another, IMHO. Unless you have a pole right thought the nose of the engine! -SG
coborn35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 04:58 PM   #6
oltmannd

Smile

What's kind of interesting is that nearly all of my recent "top 24 hr" shots were minor tweaks of rejections or appeals.

In the web biz, views = $$ so, I thought have some top shots would improve the owners bottom line...

(didn't know this was baseball...but my overall average is closer to .400. Batting average is hits per at bat, not hits per swing)

The problem with the two per day limit is I'm a lousy mind reader. I've had "lead pipe cinches" fail, but less stuff fly right through. So, I make my best guesses and let them sort it out. My skill at "picking the winners" among the 10 is really pretty lousy.

For example, this one, which I really like, took four tries with very, very minor tweaks.

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=361683

but this one, which isn't nearly as good a shot technically or aesthetically got in on first try.

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=361680

It's their site, they can do what they want with it. I just thought I'd get the courtesy of an explanation since I've been around since the early days (2003).
Old 04-28-2011, 05:10 PM   #7
JRMDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by oltmannd View Post
What typically happens is I'll upload 10, get 1 or 2 accepted (never the ones I would have predicted!), appeal 4 or 5, get one or two of those in. Then, I'll tweak the ones I really like according to the reject reason and try them again the next day.
You are appealing 4-5 out of 8-9 rejections? You appeal half your rejections? Wow!

Stop appealing so often, figure out what RP does not like about those shots and fix them. Appeals should be a limited part of your toolkit, almost never is it a good first response, not if tweaking is possible.

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 05:16 PM   #8
Freericks
Met Fan

I'm sure you were hit for appealing 50% of rejections.

Regarding your shots -- you and I must have crossed paths out there at some point in time. Man, we were mining the same territory in the late 70s.

Regarding the 1988 shot of the Cosmopolitans, versus the 1979 shot of the FA Power Pack -- the MUs are something that can be shot today, and to be frank, they are MUs, while the Power Pack is long gone and it's an Alco.

Beyond that, while 1988 is historic, 1979 includes that magic seven that elevates it. I've had shots from the 1980s dinged for things that my 1970s shots were never bothered by.

All of which is a long way of saying, an over thirty-year-old image of a no longer existing Alco is going to have less hoops to jump through than a twenty-year-old image of MUs that still run today.

Last edited by Freericks; 04-28-2011 at 05:20 PM.
Freericks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 05:50 PM   #9
coborn35

Quote:
What's kind of interesting is that nearly all of my recent "top 24 hr" shots were minor tweaks of rejections or appeals.

In the web biz, views = $$ so, I thought have some top shots would improve the owners bottom line...

(didn't know this was baseball...but my overall average is closer to .400. Batting average is hits per at bat, not hits per swing)

The problem with the two per day limit is I'm a lousy mind reader. I've had "lead pipe cinches" fail, but less stuff fly right through. So, I make my best guesses and let them sort it out. My skill at "picking the winners" among the 10 is really pretty lousy.

For example, this one, which I really like, took four tries with very, very minor tweaks.

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=361683

but this one, which isn't nearly as good a shot technically or aesthetically got in on first try.

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=361680

It's their site, they can do what they want with it. I just thought I'd get the courtesy of an explanation since I've been around since the early days (2003).
Each submission is an at bat.
I personally have had a problem with those trying to tell us to turn railroad photography into an "art form." It's fine for them to do so, I welcome it in fact, but what I do have a problem with is that the practitioners of the more "arty" shots, I have found, tend to look down their nose's at others who are shooting more "mundane" shots.
Railroad photography is what you make of it, but one way is not "better" than another, IMHO. Unless you have a pole right thought the nose of the engine! -SG
Old 04-28-2011, 05:58 PM   #10
Joe the Photog

Quote:
I've had an half dozen or so "Top in past 24 hrs" shots in the past month or so, so I don't think it's quality of the uploads so much.
To keep with the baseball analogy, you're a homerun hitter. We see your stuff on the front page and it's great, but the two strike outs a game is what we don't see.
Quote:
This is why your daily uploads went down. Let's look at it this way. Let's say you submit ten shots one day. Two get on and eight are rejected. You're 2 for 10, not great numbers, but sometimes there is a fine line between a rejection and a Top of 24.

Now out of those eight rejections, you appeal four of them. Out of the fouy you appealed, one gets on. So now your success rate is actually 3 for 18. And then I suppose it's likely you adjust the other seven shots as well and resublitt thosed, of which the numbers keep rising.

I would like to see less of an either/or. The number seems to be 10 uploads a day allowed or two. Maybe some people would do better with five, maybe not. It's not my site. I would just say look closer at your uploads, appeal rejections less often and if you have any questions, ask for help here.

As you did on the cropping issue. My hunch was that you thout the reject was better than the accepted version, with which I did not agree.
Old 04-28-2011, 06:01 PM   #11
Joe the Photog

Pfft. My bad, make that 3 out of 14.
Old 04-28-2011, 08:11 PM   #12
oltmannd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
To keep with the baseball analogy, you're a homerun hitter. We see your stuff on the front page and it's great, but the two strike outs a game is what we don't see.

This is why your daily uploads went down. Let's look at it this way. Let's say you submit ten shots one day. Two get on and eight are rejected. You're 2 for 10, not great numbers, but sometimes there is a fine line between a rejection and a Top of 24.

Now out of those eight rejections, you appeal four of them. Out of the fouy you appealed, one gets on. So now your success rate is actually 3 for 18. And then I suppose it's likely you adjust the other seven shots as well and resublitt thosed, of which the numbers keep rising.

I would like to see less of an either/or. The number seems to be 10 uploads a day allowed or two. Maybe some people would do better with five, maybe not. It's not my site. I would just say look closer at your uploads, appeal rejections less often and if you have any questions, ask for help here.

As you did on the cropping issue. My hunch was that you thout the reject was better than the accepted version, with which I did not agree.
Thanks for taking the time to explain. At two uploads a day, they're all going to get appealed - what's to lose?

I do like the reject better than the accepted one because it's better balanced geometrically to my eye. Most people disagree. It's not a right or wrong thing.... C'est la vie!
Old 04-28-2011, 08:41 PM   #13
Freericks
Met Fan

No matter how cool your shots are, I would guess that if you appeal every rejection, even at a two upload a day limit, you'd get yourself banned pretty quickly.
Old 04-28-2011, 10:15 PM   #14
trainboysd40

Send a message via MSN to trainboysd40

I appeal most of my rejections...which adds up to 1-3 appeals every two months.
Obligatory link to shots on RP, HERE
trainboysd40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 11:51 PM   #15
coborn35

Quote:
Thanks for taking the time to explain. At two uploads a day, they're all going to get appealed - what's to lose?

I do like the reject better than the accepted one because it's better balanced geometrically to my eye. Most people disagree. It's not a right or wrong thing.... C'est la vie!
You will lose your ability to appeal. i haven't been able to appeal since February 2009.
Old 04-29-2011, 12:11 AM   #16
milwman
I shoot what I like

Send a message via Yahoo to milwman

Quote:
I don't know, maybe they made all non-elite members have 2 uploads?
Yep thats how I see it.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/22299476@N05/
milwman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 12:22 AM   #17
crazytiger

Quote:
...appeal 4 or 5...
Don, meet your problem.

Canon EOS 40D
Canon EF 50 f/1.8 II
Canon EF 70-200mm f/4 L USM
Canon EF-S 17-85mm f/4-5.6 IS USM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Friend
everytime i see non-train photos of yours i think, "so much talent. wasted on trains."
crazytiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 12:51 AM   #18
Freericks
Met Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by trainboysd40 View Post
I appeal most of my rejections...which adds up to 1-3 appeals every two months.
Sounds like someone has given up on taking risks!
Old 04-29-2011, 01:04 AM   #19
oltmannd

Quote:
Don, meet your problem.
Who knew? No, comment or note or email, just BAM! ..new limit.
Old 04-29-2011, 01:21 AM   #20
oltmannd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freericks View Post

Regarding your shots -- you and I must have crossed paths out there at some point in time. Man, we were mining the same territory in the late 70s.

Regarding the 1988 shot of the Cosmopolitans, versus the 1979 shot of the FA Power Pack -- the MUs are something that can be shot today, and to be frank, they are MUs, while the Power Pack is long gone and it's an Alco.

Beyond that, while 1988 is historic, 1979 includes that magic seven that elevates it. I've had shots from the 1980s dinged for things that my 1970s shots were never bothered by.

All of which is a long way of saying, an over thirty-year-old image of a no longer existing Alco is going to have less hoops to jump through than a twenty-year-old image of MUs that still run today.
So you'd think a halfway decent roster shot of an ex-NYC S2E would be good... no.

Or, triple-headed EBT in the snow in 1980 on a freezing cold sunny day? no. Got one in on appeal or a very slight re-crop.

But some generic Shade Gap Electric trolleys on a cloudy day got in on 1st shot.

If I had to pick, I'd submit the steam and skip the trolley's. But, that just shows I don't know what I'm picking

I just have no idea what the value set of the screeners is. I'm pretty sure trying to guess at 2 from 10 or 12 of what I think are roughly equal value is going to be a lost cause.

It is what it is, warts and all, I suppose.
Old 04-29-2011, 01:23 AM   #21
oltmannd

Quote:

We probably have only one or two degrees of separation! I also have a ton of Conrail "Middle Division" stuff from the 1970s and 80s that I haven't gotten to scan yet.
Old 04-29-2011, 02:17 AM   #22
Joe the Photog

Quote:
So you'd think a halfway decent roster shot of an ex-NYC S2E would be good... no.
Why should a half way decent shot of anything get in?
Quote:
I just have no idea what the value set of the screeners is.
A pretty decent way to tell would be to go through the database and see what they let in.

Just saying....
Old 04-29-2011, 06:38 AM   #23
trainboysd40

Send a message via MSN to trainboysd40

Quote:
Sounds like someone has given up on taking risks!
And photos.
Obligatory link to shots on RP, HERE
trainboysd40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 09:24 AM   #24
oltmannd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
Why should a half way decent shot of anything get in?
I don't know why they should, but they do. Regularly.

There are tons of less-than-halfway decent shots that get in. Much of the stuff from the 1950s, for example. Also, there are tons and tons of technically perfect shots of very, very ordinary scenes. Telephoto wedge shots of NS Dash 9s on tangent track for example.

I don't take issue with either, I just find it confusing.

You asked....
Old 04-29-2011, 10:32 AM   #25
milwman
I shoot what I like

Send a message via Yahoo to milwman

Quote:
there are tons and tons of technically perfect shots of very, very ordinary scenes.
No way

http://www.flickr.com/photos/22299476@N05/
milwman is offline   Reply With Quote