Old 11-14-2011, 08:32 AM   #1
willig

Default Multiple Flash and Zoom Pan - What's the problem?

I uploaded these two and both got rejected for Composition/Balance. Can anyone tell me what is the difference between this and Bad Cropping?

A multiple flash shot:
http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...key=1262167526

A zoom pan:
http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...&key=614107665

Does anyone else find it amusing that the rejection reasons seem to come in batches. One day you get your shots bounced all for the same reason (as in this case) and another day, a different reason seems to be in vogue.

Anyway, I put some effort into getting these shots (I realise this is no qualification for acceptance onto the DB) and I'd like to know what's wrong with them and what I would have to do with them to get accepted. I was quite pleased with them, but of course the photographer is seldom the best judge.
willig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 12:59 PM   #2
conrail1990

The light on the tender in the first shot just throws the whole photo off.
conrail1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 01:18 PM   #3
EMTRailfan

Location: I can be found railfanning the abandoned B&O Northern Sub.

They are both rather centered. Move them to the left a little, and I think you will be good to go. Just watch the wires on the left edge the flash photo. The flashes lit them up pretty good. clone
Old 11-14-2011, 08:57 PM   #4
Mgoldman

Graham -

Regarding the first shot - EMT says it's centered but in actuality, I think it needs more centering. There's no appeal /benefit for the inclusion of the empty space to the left.

Regarding the zoom pan - first attempt? Sweet, I better get on my game! There are many effective ways to capture a zoom pan - first, more down the line where the entire consist is sharp, and second, as you have successfully captured, where just the nose is sharp creating a variation of a blistering speed pan. As for balance - I think you have a similar issue to the first photo - extra space to the left. To balance it, it would be great if you had more to the right to include. Perhaps a more square crop. Also, the consist seems to be coming at us at a downward angle - maybe you could look at altering the perspective by "pulling" the right side down (maybe?). Still, left untouched, considering the difficulty of such a capture - steam no less - I'd hope admin would be a little more flexible in accepting as is if you were to appeal.

/Mitch
Mgoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 09:41 PM   #5
KevinM

In addition to what Mitch said, that first shot is wicked tight on the top, right and bottom. Not sure why you would want to go so tight on three sides....and then show all of the embankment, guy wires and power lines on the left. I would not only center the subject a little more, I'd give it some more room to breathe on all sides.

Very honestly, I would probably not resubmit that first one. The flash lighting on the left side of the engine is too hot and just isn't pleasing to look at. As one other poster noted, there's a pretty good hot spot on the tender too. I'd leave this one and work on the pan. That one is definitely worth some additional work.

My stuff is here.

Yeah, I do Flickr too. Tons of non-RP stuff there.
KevinM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 10:03 PM   #6
EMTRailfan

Location: I can be found railfanning the abandoned B&O Northern Sub.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgoldman View Post
Graham -

Regarding the first shot - EMT says it's centered but in actuality, I think it needs more centering. There's no appeal /benefit for the inclusion of the empty space to the left.

/Mitch
Isn't that what I said? Lol!

P.S. I agree with Kevin M. about the other 3 sides upon looking at it again.
Old 11-15-2011, 09:49 AM   #7
willig

On the night shot, I was tight up against a fence so I couldn't get further back. This meant tight at top and bottom. I had to go tight at the right because there was not much room to place the flash at the rear, near the tender, and I had to ensure it wasn't in shot. I couldn't move it further away from the loco as I also had to make sure that the sensor on the gun was in the line of sight to the control unit on the camera. The only space I had was on the left side, which I tried to light with a gun behind the engine. I realise that there is too much of the embankment. I've tried another crop, taking out some of the left side. it does leave it a little tight on all side, but at least it's more even. I've tried to tone down the hotspots as well. If it doesn't make it, no matter, it's on Flickr anyway.

On the zoom pan, i've followed the advice. I've rotated it a little to the right to lower the consist. There isn't any more on the right side, I'm afraid. I've cropped out some of the left, which has meant I've had to crop a little from the top and bottom. Again, this makes it tighter, but more balanced. We'll see what the screeners think.

Yes Mitch, it was my first attempt. I have wondered about having a go for a while, but your recent steam shot inspired me to have a go. I'll try more with a longer lens perhaps?

Thanks for the help chaps.
Old 11-15-2011, 06:30 PM   #8
willig

Well, they didn't like the flash shot.
http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...&key=682377052
I think I'll give up on that one.

The recrop of the zoom pan also got bounced. This time for blurry!

I also got this one thrown back for cloudy (which it wasn't)
http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...&key=674462961
I guess the screeners just don't like it.
Old 11-15-2011, 08:03 PM   #9
bigbassloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by willig View Post
I also got this one thrown back for cloudy (which it wasn't)
http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...&key=674462961
I guess the screeners just don't like it.
It looks like it's poor lighting. You can argue it wasn't, but as a person who wasn't standing beside you, I can only go by appearance.

Loyd L.

American Rails dot com - A fantastic website with tons of information and photographs related to American railroads and locomotives.
bigbassloyd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 08:39 PM   #10
JRMDC

If it was truly sunny, at least give yourself a fighting chance by processing better. Attached are the original and my redo (so you can do an easy side-by-side). All I did was to move the middle slider in levels. I may have overdone it a bit, hard to tell with so much black, in the pavement too. But you will get the idea, there is a lot you can do with the exposure.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 6997.1321354947.jpg (377.0 KB, 55 views)
File Type: jpg 6997b.jpg (210.7 KB, 59 views)

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 09:08 PM   #11
willig

Thanks for the tip Janusz. Yours looks much better. My monitor is too bright and I can't turn it down. I might try to brighten up the shot. It was hazy sunshine.

To be honest, it's the zoom pan reject I'm more disappointed about.