Old 12-13-2008, 02:17 PM   #1
sd9

Default a long story

Well, my Canon Rebel XTI that turned a year old in Aug. went haywire.
on auto focus it just tries to keep focusing and the shutter wont fire,
on manual focus the shutter will fire but no picture
So since I like to support my local camera house, and where I originally bought it and paid little more. I took it back to show the guy who is pretty knowledgeable, I informed him that I already tried a different lense, pulled the card out and put it back, pulled the battery and put it back and it still didn't do anything...Well he said a few HMMMM's and said that I'll have to send it into Canon for repair, which usually costs around $250 for an average repair, and this time a year should take about 5-6 weeks!
He also said he has never seen one these go bad like that...just my luck I guess.

So, since I can not be with out a camera that long, do I;

A. Purchase another Rebel XTI which they quit making and replaced it with the Rebel XSI?

B. Make a step up and buy a 40D?

I don't seem to have much choice on getting this one fixed, I'm told I could get around $400 for it and then I suppose I could sell it...or keep it for a back-up,

I know someone will say don't buy another Canon, but I was just looking for some suggestions.....

So much for heading to Gibson City today for the IC Santa train.....

Bill
sd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2008, 04:13 PM   #2
Freericks
Met Fan

There's no good answer in a situation like this. Look at your financial situation and crunch the numbers. Figure out what will make you the happiest four weeks from now (both bank account wise and camera wise).

If it is to repair the camera you have... see if there is a way to borrow a camera in the interim, from a friend or the camera shop... (maybe he can rent you one).
Freericks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2008, 04:47 PM   #3
Ken Carr
Senior Member: Vegasrails

Since I'm bias (a Canon owner), first the inital cost is $180 dollars to send to a regional Canon camera repair shop. Their turn around time has been roughly 2 weeks. There a lot of good deals on line Adorama has used cameras in the $200-$400 range. I look there. Other wise I echo Fedricks suggestions.

See what I do for fun along the rails and in the desert

See some of my slide shows

Click Here to view my photos at RailPictures.Net!
Ken Carr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2008, 09:14 PM   #4
jnohallman

Forget the site I linked to . . .

Jon

Click here to see my photos on RP.net!

Do not, under any circumstances whatsoever, click here. Don't even think about it. I'm warning you!

Last edited by jnohallman; 12-14-2008 at 04:12 AM. Reason: Found out something about the website referenced . . .
jnohallman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2008, 10:39 PM   #5
ottergoose
American Gunzel

Send a message via AIM to ottergoose Send a message via Yahoo to ottergoose

Do not, do not, do not order anything from that website that was suggested (shopdigitaldirect) - a quick Google search reveals they're not reputable.

I'd probably look for a used replacement - KEH.com is a reliable source. If your budget can accommodate a 40D, it'd be worth doing. If you can stand waiting it out, I'd guess there will be a good sized glut of Rebel XT/XS/XS/whatevers after Christmas... Craigslist and eBay would be good places to look for that.

I doubt you'll be able to get $400 for your old camera... last time I looked, used Rebel XT's with kit lenses were going for $350 or so on eBay.
Old 12-13-2008, 10:43 PM   #6
sd9

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnohallman
You might consider this deal for an XSi . . .

http://shopdigitaldirect.com/catalog...oducts_id=7695

I don't know a whole lot about the site, but the price sure is right.

Or, you might be tempted to skip the 40D and make the jump to a 50D:

http://shopdigitaldirect.com/catalog...oducts_id=7695

Jon
EEEK! you have to watch some of these online places with prices to good to be true,,,check this site out about that place,
http://www.complaintsboard.com/compl...ct-c93729.html

So far I found B&H and abes of main the best, in price, customer satisfaction... plus free shipping and no 8%IL sales tax for our corrupt state of Illinois

I contacted Canon and they told me repair time usually takes only 7-10 business days, so that's a lot better than what I was told by the camera shop,
although this is a good excuse to upgrade
sd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2008, 11:26 PM   #7
Watain
-_-

Send a message via MSN to Watain

I got my camera from Ritz, the one near me the people seem to know what there talking about, and they let me play with every camera they had. I ended up going Nikon. As far as the internet I only buy from B&H. They have a great selection and they are cheaper too.
Watain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 12:55 AM   #8
Carl Becker

Quote:
Originally Posted by sd9
So, since I can not be with out a camera that long, do I;

A. Purchase another Rebel XTI which they quit making and replaced it with the Rebel XSI?

B. Make a step up and buy a 40D?
Well, Lord knows that if you want a new Canon for the lowest price, you'd need either a new XTi or a Rebel XS, the second of which probably would be on your avoid list since it upgrades the XTi in some ways but downgrades in others (most notably, lack of IR remote and speed of continuous shooting in RAW).

Therefore, I'd say go with the XSi or 40D. I'd say avoid the 50D; from what I've heard the extra megapixels add little to the image quality (and actually decrease it at higher ISOs).

Currently, per Amazon, the XSi is around $550 while the 40D goes for around $800:

http://www.amazon.com/Canon-Digital-...9219639&sr=8-3

http://www.amazon.com/Canon-40D-10-1...9219688&sr=8-1

Good luck,

Carl Becker
Carl Becker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 07:33 AM   #9
Slopes09

Send a message via AIM to Slopes09

Buydig.com is a reputable dealer (I have gotten my last two cameras from there) with very good prices and I have had no problems with them. I would check there for a low price. Overstock.com is another good place to look for camera deals, but it's more hit and miss.

Pretty much the only Pentax Shooter.

Click Here to view my photos at RailPictures.Net!
Slopes09 is offline   Reply With Quote