Old 07-05-2007, 03:56 PM   #1
traindude109

Unhappy Rejected......

Hi everyone, this is my first time on the forums and I am new to this website all together. I recently submitted a photo (http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...d=388470&key=0) and it was rejected because it was cloudy. But there is northing really I can do because the day I took th picture it was a little cloudy. Any ideas on how I can try to fix this photo? Thank you!

Matt
traindude109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 04:28 PM   #2
Carl Becker

Quote:
Originally Posted by traindude109
Hi everyone, this is my first time on the forums and I am new to this website all together. I recently submitted a photo (http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...d=388470&key=0) and it was rejected because it was cloudy. But there is northing really I can do because the day I took th picture it was a little cloudy. Any ideas on how I can try to fix this photo? Thank you!

Matt
There really isn't much that can be done to "fix" the image, because, many times, when an image is cloudy, it's going to be cloudy no matter what. Remember that you do have the option to appeal if you wish, considering the fact that this doesn't seem like "common/standard" power.

Is there a chance you are in the Yreka area and could take the shot again on a nice day?
Carl Becker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 04:33 PM   #3
WisconsinCentral

Welcome to the forums.

One thing about this site, that many people hate, is the rejection reasons. When you say that there isnt much you could do with the clouds doesnt mean not to shoot, but if its cloudy, most likely save it for your personal collection. Almost always a rule of thumb is if you want to shoot for RPics, go out on a sunny day.

Alec
WisconsinCentral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 04:41 PM   #4
Ween

Welcome to the site, Matt. Like Alec said, most cloudy shots will not make the grade here at RP.net. That's not to say that photos taken when it's cloudy are not good photos, it's just not what RP's looking for.

Good luck with future shots; if you have any questions, post them here!
Old 07-05-2007, 04:44 PM   #5
JRMDC

Carl, it isn't "common/standard" power, but it is a tourist RR where Matt or someone else can easily go another day and shoot. So I think it fits within the intent of the common/standard rejection, which is that standards are not slackened unless there is something preventing a better image from being taken, by someone, whether the original photographer or not. Here nothing prevents a good shot from being submitted.

Matt, bad luck with the weather. It's a killer and a bummer. We are all sitting on gazillions of shots taken on days where the weather/light was not up to the standards generally needed for a shot to be of quality acceptable at RP. I was just saying, somewhere in this forum, that I only have three shots in since mid-March. Bad luck with weather, plus the summer issue of "high sun" that you might become all too familiar with in the near future.

All part of the process.

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 04:53 PM   #6
traindude109

Thanks everyone! I do not live far from Yreka so I suppose I could go up take more shots, as the weather is nicer since that shot was taken. In addition, I just started volunteering up at the Yreka Western (still waiting to be called up for my first run) so that is a good opportunity right there. I guess you are right. All part of the process. Maybe next time......
Old 07-05-2007, 07:52 PM   #7
Carl Becker

Quote:
Originally Posted by traindude109
Thanks everyone! I do not live far from Yreka so I suppose I could go up take more shots, as the weather is nicer since that shot was taken. In addition, I just started volunteering up at the Yreka Western (still waiting to be called up for my first run) so that is a good opportunity right there. I guess you are right. All part of the process. Maybe next time......
Matt:

One question ... my dad was just talking to me, ironically, about this railroad the other day as well as the town of Yreka. He was wondering how to pronounce it. Is it like saying "Why Reeka"?
Carl Becker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 03:13 AM   #8
James Toy

I don't have a problem with overcast skies, but the image looks awfully flat. It needs more contrast. Try making your blacks more black and less grey. Also, the people on the left don't have a very healthy looking skin color.
James Toy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 03:27 AM   #9
EMTRailfan

Location: I can be found railfanning the abandoned B&O Northern Sub.

Try playing with your color sat. and color temp too. Possibly cut the sky out all together. It may not be worth another submit, but you may learn some techniques. By all means, copy your originals and save them. Once you edit an unsaved original, you can't get it back.
Old 07-06-2007, 05:36 AM   #10
traindude109

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Becker
Matt:

One question ... my dad was just talking to me, ironically, about this railroad the other day as well as the town of Yreka. He was wondering how to pronounce it. Is it like saying "Why Reeka"?
Yes that is how you say it. Thanks for more replies guys. I figure I will wait until next time to get some better photos next time I am up there.