Old 03-29-2007, 06:39 PM   #1
jason15c

Default Disappointed This Got Rejected

I was very disappointed that the attached picture was rejected:

First off it was rejected for being too dark, which was fair comment as my original upload did need to be a smidge lighter. So I corrected it and got nailed for bad cropping, possibly because the subject is fairly small in the frame, or perhaps because the main subject is off centre (only the screener can answer that).
I was very proud of this shot, so thought I would share it with the group via the forum instead. It is a totally accurate recreation of a typical British street scene from the 1920's and was taken at the Beamish open air museum near Newcastle. There is absolutely nothing modern in the shot. The original colour image did nothing for me, but came alive as a black and white, and many people who have looked at the photo are astonished when I tell them it was taken last Tuesday!
For me, the tram is in exactly the right spot to conform to the rule of thirds, the two buildings behind the tram form a backdrop and the garage fills in the right hand side of the picture so there is no dead space. Then the rails in the cobbled street take the viewers eye to the main subject, while the bicycle leaning against the canopy adds further interest. I would be very reluctant to even consider cropping this shot, as I have achieved exactly what I wanted to capture with the original photo. The image is welcome to a place in my own personal photo collection, but obviously it didn't appeal to the screeners.

Perhaps the UK way of thinking is different to the US way of thinking? What do others think?

regards,
Attached Images
File Type: jpg d03452.jpg (204.1 KB, 266 views)

http://www.15c.co.uk
jason15c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 06:51 PM   #2
Mike B.
Banned

That's an excellent photo with great feel. However, I can see why it was rejected. It seems like a historic photo that happens to have a tram in it. Very nice work but I don't think enough emphasis was put on the tram for RP. Don't crop it.
Mike B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 07:02 PM   #3
ken45
LA&SL Fanatic

If I had to reject it for something, I'd say bad contrast, as everything has the light sepia shade. However, it's not that bad. I LOVE the mood you got in the shot, and if you told me it was taken in modern times, I would not believe you. Great shot.

I'm disappointed it got rejected too, and I'd say appeal it. Like Mike said, it's borderline as far as rail content and emphasis, but that's a neat shot. It needs to find a home where it will be admired.
ken45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 07:14 PM   #4
Joe the Photog

I like it a lot. I would try again with a more typical black and white rendering. If it gets rejected for bad cropping, appeal it and explain that the shot tuyned out sa you wanted it. In other words, fight for the crop! I hope you luck!

Joe
Old 03-29-2007, 07:17 PM   #5
PLEzero

After seeing some of the questionable 'news' photos uploaded recently, I am very surprised this photo was rejected. Maybe a very slight crop of the left and bottom will get this photo into the database where I believe it should be.
My RP.net Photos
PLEzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 07:32 PM   #6
John West
Senior Curmudgeon

Cool

I think it is a wonderful photograph. The fact it was rejected for cropping really surprises me. I see some zaggies in the overhead wires, so there might be an oversharpening issue. And I might understand some contrast problems, it is a bit flat, but that is probably fixable in Photoshop. Keep in mind the screeners work quickly and the button they push for the rejection reason often has little to do with the real reason. I'd try reducing the sharpening a bit, increasing the contrast a bit, and resubmit with a note to the screener explaining the significance of the surroundings (as well as explaining it in the caption). As some others have remarked, we Yanks do tend to be more loco-centric in our approach to rail photography, but a good image is a good image and should be appreciated on both sides of the pond. We're even learning to do glint shots over here.

John

PS...I agree with the comment above about just a bit of an additional crop on the left side. But not all the way to the building, leave some open sky or it will look crowded. And just a bit at the bottom.

Last edited by John West; 03-29-2007 at 07:35 PM.
John West is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 09:05 PM   #7
jason15c

Quote:
Originally Posted by John West
I see some zaggies in the overhead wires, so there might be an oversharpening issue.
I don't believe the image was rejected due to oversharpening as the one that I posted doesn't look as bad. The image that I attached to this thread is a reduced version of that image and does seem to have more zaggies in it. The larger image can be found here as a comparison:
http://www.railpictures.net/viewreject.php?id=354931

Thanks to everyone who has passed comment on this photo. The contrast point is one that I will have a play with to see if I can give it a little more punch. I have also saved an image as a proper black and white as opposed to sepia and this looks great too (though I prefer the sepia). I won't be cropping the left hand edge though as suggested , as having the complete curve of the left hand track is a key feature of the picture in my eyes.

I'm not sure about appealing though (it depends what mood I am in when I have had a play with the contrast ). Of all the pictures I have taken so far this year, this is the one I am most happy with, but it is one of those shots that will appeal to some, and not to others. In this case the screeners didn't like it and I respect their decision, but it won't dampen my enthusiasm for the image, which now sits proudly on the home page of my website .

cheers,

Last edited by jason15c; 03-29-2007 at 09:20 PM.
Old 03-29-2007, 09:34 PM   #8
Chris Starnes
Administrator

Jason,

I think if you bump the contrast up just a bit on this one and resubmit, it will be accepted. I personally love the feel it offers.

Thanks!
Old 03-29-2007, 10:38 PM   #9
StL-rail

Send a message via AIM to StL-rail Send a message via MSN to StL-rail Send a message via Yahoo to StL-rail

I only have one gripe; lack of action. If you could repeat this shot with maybe a period car on the street and a few people in period clothes, it would make it just that much more authentic. Otherwise, great photo!

Click Here to view my photos at RailPictures.Net!

-Canadian Pacific Conductor
-Union Pacific Conductor
-RRC Switchman
StL-rail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 11:05 PM   #10
a231pacific

Wonderful shot, love the mood. My first thought was, "Bad crop, the H--l you say?" but as John West pointed out, the screeners do work fast. They may have meant bad contrast. Actually I like the slightly washed out sepia look, as it makes it look very much like a period photo.

I agree with Jason, cropping closer to the building, which I think was everyone's first reaction, means clipping the outer rail. Keep the crop as it is.

Since Chris Starnes has weighed in, it sounds like a slight increase in contrast, giving it look that's a bit less old timey, a bit more contemporary, will be accepted.

Any way you look at it, its a lovely photo. Lets see some more.

Michael Allen
a231pacific is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 11:06 PM   #11
bigbassloyd

I love the black and white photos! Which is why I'll continue to add some more 'questionable news photos' here and there

Hope you get it into the database!

Loyd L.
Old 03-29-2007, 11:33 PM   #12
jason15c

Quote:
Originally Posted by StL-rail
I only have one gripe; lack of action. If you could repeat this shot with maybe a period car on the street and a few people in period clothes, it would make it just that much more authentic. Otherwise, great photo!
All the museum staff wear period costumes which really adds to the feel of the place. The problem is that visitors to the museum (wearing 21st century clothing) mingle with the staff and can ruin the illusion. The shot of the tram shows the very first tram to arrive in the street from the museum's main entrance, hence the fact that there are no people in the shot. I was on site before the museum opened as I was on a private photo shoot on the museum's railway line. Sadly, this shoot didn't include the tramway, but I have every intention of returning to attend a private shoot on another day when the tramway is included. I have seen photos from previous shoots here, and period road vehicles and people in period costume are as much a part of the shoot as the trams are.

The museum also have replicas of some of the earliest steam locos, as depicted in the attached picture of the 'Puffing Billy' replica. It isn't just trains and trams though, farms, towns, shops, and industry from a byegone age are all included in the museum. It is a big place, hence the tramway to carry visitors around the site.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg d03493.jpg (118.0 KB, 216 views)

Old 03-30-2007, 01:11 AM   #13
Pat Lorenz

looks good to me but i agree, contrast needs to pop the trolley out. But is really neat.
Pat Lorenz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 06:41 AM   #14
jason15c

Thumbs up Not disappointed anymore.....

After adjusting the contrast, and with no alteration to the crop, the picture has been accepted.....

Image © Jason Cross
PhotoID: 181616
Photograph © Jason Cross

Cheers everyone....

Old 03-30-2007, 12:10 PM   #15
jfusaro

well done, jason!

excellent photo. i'm glad that it was accepted.

jeffrey fusaro
jfusaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 03:08 PM   #16
Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason15c
After adjusting the contrast, and with no alteration to the crop, the picture has been accepted.....

Cheers everyone....

Congrats, I love the shot...awesome scene.
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 05:44 PM   #17
WetRailsWA

Send a message via MSN to WetRailsWA

Awesome...you did good. Congratulations!

WetRailsWA is offline   Reply With Quote