Old 04-22-2005, 02:45 AM   #1
hoops

Default Poor lighting

This photo was rejected for poor lighting (backlit)

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreject.php?id=114806

-Keegan-

Click Here to view my photos at RailPictures.Net!
hoops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2005, 02:57 AM   #2
Joe

Send a message via AIM to Joe

Not much you can do there. Unfortunately they extended the fence all the way down to the west end of the platform so photos from the southside have the fence in the way. Otherwise I'd suggest going to the south side!

Click Here to view my photos at RailPictures.Net!
Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2005, 03:18 AM   #3
Ru1056

Send a message via Yahoo to Ru1056

I agree with Joe not much can be done, trucks are too dark.

Billy
Ru1056 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2005, 03:39 AM   #4
RJSorensen

That is a tough one. Even if you cut it out in layers or such . . . you would have a lot more in it than it is worth. Plus it would or at least could not look right anyway . . . nice shot however, sorry about the back light.

I for one am tired of getting rejected. So I am going to try to not shoot that which I can see won't go through. Easier said than done I am sure, lol.

Please click here should you wish to view a portion of my railroad photography . . .
RJSorensen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2005, 02:36 PM   #5
trainmonster

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJSorensen

I for one am tired of getting rejected. So I am going to try to not shoot that which I can see won't go through. Easier said than done I am sure, lol.
That IMO isn't a good mentality-I shoot everything because first and foremost, my shots are for me, and, you'd be missing out on lots of good pics that might not get accepted but are still good and part of history. (I have old Instamatic shots that I treasure more than anything)

How I *do* choose to think is by self-critiquing every shot I take, keeping in mind that as I set up, "OK, maybe RP will take this one?" Maybe, maybe not. But this has helped me improve!

Case in point: Where I live is North Shore territory. http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=99671 ("awwww... they're switching Norry yard all the time, I can always get a pic." Wrong! Those SW-8's are 50 years old and they won't run forever; now I'm making a side hobby out of photographing the North Shore and affiliates. See my point?

Besides, beats hell out of black and white!

Rich
trainmonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2005, 03:03 PM   #6
Guilford350

It is back lit. If you shoot from the other side, the fence will obstruct. You could try shooting at a different time in the day or even at a different location.
Guilford350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2005, 05:20 PM   #7
dodi4200

Send a message via Yahoo to dodi4200

im agree with them hoops u should catch yur pic from the side which the sun rays will be on it the admin refuse most of pix cause of that reason and im trying now to avoid dark in my pix
mohamed
see my pix @ www.everythingtrains.org
(http://members.cox.net/hughes450/Page30.html)
dodi4200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2005, 07:42 PM   #8
busyEMT

Quote:
Originally Posted by trainmonster
That IMO isn't a good mentality-I shoot everything because first and foremost, my shots are for me, and, you'd be missing out on lots of good pics that might not get accepted but are still good and part of history. (I have old Instamatic shots that I treasure more than anything)

How I *do* choose to think is by self-critiquing every shot I take, keeping in mind that as I set up, "OK, maybe RP will take this one?" Maybe, maybe not. But this has helped me improve!

Rich

Absolutely, right on point. I go out on any certain day knowing if it is going to be a RP.net day or not. But I don't let RP.net's criteria stiffle my photography; only what I choose to upload when I get home.

Don't do anything you wouldn't want to explain to the paramedics!
busyEMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2005, 09:00 PM   #9
Mustang11

While we're on the subject of poor lighting... this one got rejected for the same reason - poor lighting, just this time (too dark). Any suggestions on this one would be appreciated.

http://railpictures.net/viewreject.php?id=117167

Thanks, Brian.

My RailPictures.net Photos -- My fotopic.net Photos
Graphic Design & Photography portfolio site
Mustang11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2005, 09:19 PM   #10
Ween

Quote:
Originally Posted by trainmonster
Case in point: Where I live is North Shore territory...now I'm making a side hobby out of photographing the North Shore and affiliates.
Rich,

Then I look forward to seeing the 'new' LVRR GP35Rs and older GP20s in and around the Williamsport area! My hometown is Montoursville, and unfortunately when I was back in PA over the holidays, it was overcast (naturally), but I managed to get one of my 30 shots of LVRR blue accepted here:

Image © Chris Paulhamus
PhotoID: 89455
Photograph © Chris Paulhamus
Old 04-23-2005, 12:26 AM   #11
mtrails

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang11
While we're on the subject of poor lighting... this one got rejected for the same reason - poor lighting, just this time (too dark). Any suggestions on this one would be appreciated.

Thanks, Brian.
That is a great photo Brian. I don't see why photo's like these get rejected for poor lighting. I lightened it up, but then the color contrast is reduced. It looks lit enough for me. I guess enhancing the light levels would be the only thing to help the photo toward acceptance, and if you choose to do so, I would suggest cropping the pole from the left, and also a little from the right side, but height is good. Even if your photo doesn't get accepted, I think it's a beautiful shot.
mtrails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2005, 12:55 AM   #12
cmherndon
Banned

Send a message via AIM to cmherndon Send a message via Yahoo to cmherndon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang11

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtrails
I don't see why photo's like these get rejected for poor lighting.
For common power shots like that one, the lighting has to be perfect. In this case, it's not. I would suggest that you keep this one for the personal collection.
cmherndon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2005, 12:59 AM   #13
4kV

Location: Homeless, alcoholic drifter with no permanent address

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJSorensen

Shoot for yourself, not railpictures.net. Trains run on cloudy days, I shoot them on cloudy days. On those days, I know I am not going to take anything worthy of being accepted, but it does not matter. Some neat shots can be taken on cloudy days anyway.

Pat

Click on n691lf.rrpicturearchives.net for a good laugh and waste of your time.
4kV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2005, 01:58 AM   #14
Donna

Wink

I agree. Shoot pictures for yourself first and formost. The only thing that matters is that you the photographer (artist) like it and no one else. If you wait for the sun to shine you might miss something more special.

My 2 cents,
Donna
Donna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2005, 02:19 AM   #15
ssw9662

That's how it works around here. Cloudy days=lots of foreign power. Sunny days=Junk power (if anything at all!)
Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM
Canon 50mm f/1.8
My Railpictures.net Photos
flickr
ssw9662 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2005, 02:36 AM   #16
4kV

Location: Homeless, alcoholic drifter with no permanent address

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssw9662
That's how it works around here. Cloudy days=lots of foreign power. Sunny days=Junk power (if anything at all!)

With me....... Cloudy days = off work, sunny days = work.

Click on n691lf.rrpicturearchives.net for a good laugh and waste of your time.
4kV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2005, 05:53 AM   #17
Mustang11

Sounds about right to me, every time I've had a day off and been to that spot, it always seems cloudy. Thought I found a somewhat decent day with that one but will keep trying. Thanks.

My RailPictures.net Photos -- My fotopic.net Photos
Graphic Design & Photography portfolio site
Mustang11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2005, 07:04 AM   #18
RJSorensen

Mustang11 . . . I like the dark reject. I would take it. But that is just me. As for the rest of you, lol, the point is that if you want nice shots you need to go on a nice day. If you just need to get out of the house . . . well I can understand that too. I photograph wildlife, or do landscapes, or people, each need or don't need the sun.

Trains however seem to need to sun, and just the right amount. So I for one will shoot as I see them or make it a day . . . on good days only. Unless I need to get out from under foot, if you know what I mean.

Please click here should you wish to view a portion of my railroad photography . . .
RJSorensen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2005, 11:34 AM   #19
dodi4200

Send a message via Yahoo to dodi4200

you can know the time table from any responsible or any station or yard in the lines that you like going there and catching trains pix from there then when u see that the sun is good for catching trains pix you can go and know how many trains you will catch and arrange the good angels of catching trains pix in yur head at first before catching it i think that is agood method for you because most of tains lines working under regular time tables for making the movement is good i doing like wat im telling you now and you should choose the best and the comfort for you and begin to do it .
good luck man (moahmed)
see my pix @ www.everythingtrains.org
(http://members.cox.net/hughes450/Page30.html)

Last edited by dodi4200; 04-23-2005 at 11:37 AM.
dodi4200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2005, 05:06 PM   #20
Ween

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ween
Rich,

Then I look forward to seeing the 'new' LVRR GP35Rs and older GP20s in and around the Williamsport area! My hometown is Montoursville, and unfortunately when I was back in PA over the holidays, it was overcast (naturally), but I managed to get one of my 30 shots of LVRR blue accepted here:

Image © Chris Paulhamus
PhotoID: 89455
Photograph © Chris Paulhamus
Ask and you shall receive! Nice shot, Rich:

Image © Richard Hart
PhotoID: 102936
Photograph © Richard Hart
Old 04-23-2005, 06:38 PM   #21
trainmonster

Default Lv

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ween
Ask and you shall receive! Nice shot, Rich:

Image © Richard Hart
PhotoID: 102936
Photograph © Richard Hart

Thanks! I moved to Mifflinburg last fall-couldn't take NJ anymore-this was the first trip up there.

I reiterate time and again: Many good cloudy day shots get lost that are perfectly acceptable and well lit. Sometimes I prefer cloudy for the nice even lighting. My trick is center or spot metering to avoid darkening out trucks, fuel tank, etc.

For example, this: http://richpalm88.rrpicturearchives.....aspx?id=96964 is one of my favorites that I did in the 80's and the only problem from my POV is the motion blur of the lead unit. But I can't repeat this one now either! OK, so not the best lighting and a lousy day. But I think I got it for composure.

Rich
trainmonster is offline   Reply With Quote