Old 01-19-2010, 03:27 PM   #1
DaveJ

Default Rejected - How Much Is Enough ?

Just wondering out of idle curiosity about the highest number of re-submissions that anyone has had with any one photograph ? If I remember correctly the most times I resubmitted any picture before acceptance was four.
Now,I don't know if that's a lot of times or not (and they were all for the dreaded "bad cropping") but it's sure more than I'm prepared to submit these days,as I just can't seem to find the time unfortunately.
Anyone managed to get to double figures with rejections before success ?
DaveJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 04:17 PM   #2
John Fladung
JohnFladung.net

I hope these weren't uploaded without adjustments between uploads otherwise you are asking for your upload limit to be cut down greatly.

I've uploaded a photo three times with corrections between uploads. Not even close to 10+ uploads. If it takes that many uploads it probably isn't worth uploading anymore and stands a good chance of either being a photo for ones personal collection or trash can.
John Fladung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 05:15 PM   #3
DaveJ

I don't understand why anyone would re-submit a rejected shot without trying to correct the rejection reason - is it to try and get one over on the screeners.
I always take note of the rejection reason,curse the screeners like mad,take a few hours out to collect my thoughts and then set to work to correct the image (if I decide to send it in again).
DaveJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 05:16 PM   #4
Dennis A. Livesey

Cool

Three maybe four submissions (with noted corrections of course) is about as high I ever went with an accepted image.

About a year into RP for me, if it was rejected once or twice I'd shelve it. At the time I was still unsure.

Now I know what it takes to get on and don't submit ones RP won't like.

Currently I have one in the queue that is on it's third try. First was wrong size, next I goofed and submitted the right size but unsharpened.

I have every expectation it will get in now.

I Foam Therefore I Am.

My pix on RailPics:

I am on Flickr as well:

"Dennis is such a God, he could do that with a camera obscura and some homemade acetate." Holloran Grade

"To me it looks drawn in in Paintshop. It looks like a puddle of orange on the sky." SFO777
Dennis A. Livesey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 05:54 PM   #5
Joe the Photog

I typically will go with the three strikes and you're out philosophy. There's been a few times that RP was taking the picture in a direction I didn't want to go, so I took it out of the game instad of having what I thought was a subpar shot in the database. One exception was tis picture -

Image ©
PhotoID:
Photograph ©

I felt strongly about it then and I still do. Also, it was my first and only FEC shot, it was of a GP40-2, not one of their EMD wide noses, and I just plain liked it. It kept getting various rejects for common/cloudy, bad contrast, etc. But I kept pushing. I asked advice in the forums, switched from color to B&W, then back to color and if I remember right, was told by a screener that it was workable. I must have gotten ten rejects before it made it on.

As I recall, it was almost a Top of 24 that day and since it still gets a fair amount of hits. Until recently, I don't recall seeing a shot of the FEC in the database from this side of the bridge.
Old 01-20-2010, 02:52 AM   #6
california_railfan

Send a message via AIM to california_railfan

The most I have gone with an image is about 4 times. I will usually shelf the photo if it doesn't work after one or two submissions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
I typically will go with the three strikes and you're out philosophy. There's been a few times that RP was taking the picture in a direction I didn't want to go, so I took it out of the game instad of having what I thought was a subpar shot in the database. One exception was tis picture -

Image ©
PhotoID:
Photograph ©

I felt strongly about it then and I still do. Also, it was my first and only FEC shot, it was of a GP40-2, not one of their EMD wide noses, and I just plain liked it. It kept getting various rejects for common/cloudy, bad contrast, etc. But I kept pushing. I asked advice in the forums, switched from color to B&W, then back to color and if I remember right, was told by a screener that it was workable. I must have gotten ten rejects before it made it on.

As I recall, it was almost a Top of 24 that day and since it still gets a fair amount of hits. Until recently, I don't recall seeing a shot of the FEC in the database from this side of the bridge.
Joe, I couldn't help but notice that this image seems to be in need of some counter clockwise rotation. Sorry, I couldn't resist. Nice shot!

My Railpictures.Net Portfolio!

Or

To view my website, click here: Dadgari Photography
california_railfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 03:20 AM   #7
ottergoose
American Gunzel

Send a message via AIM to ottergoose Send a message via Yahoo to ottergoose

This is one of my favorite shots, and it took quite a few (5 or 6 maybe?) bad cropping dings (and some feedback here on the forums, I think) before it got accepted:
Image ©
PhotoID:
Photograph ©

Normally I would have given up, but, it's a unique angle in a very well covered town, and the light happened to really interesting.
Old 01-20-2010, 03:26 AM   #8
Freericks
Met Fan

I would say usually about three... maybe four if I feel very strongly (and really believe that I'm making fixes that are gong to make the picture work). There have been a couple images in the past that may have gone over that to five... yes, but those were cases were the last thing was a horizon unlevel that was so obviously fixable.

If there is a pass in the mix that cannot be fixed (like back lit or PEQ) I don't keep trying.

Mind you, I might make one appeal on a PEQ, but that's a different animal. I won't waste screeners' time trying to fix things that can't be fixed.
Freericks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 04:44 AM   #9
milwman
I shoot what I like

Send a message via Yahoo to milwman

I go for just 2 and then time out for a week to see if I still like the shot and want to work on it then

http://www.flickr.com/photos/22299476@N05/
milwman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 05:12 AM   #10
Dennis A. Livesey

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis A. Livesey View Post
Three maybe four submissions (with noted corrections of course) is about as high I ever went with an accepted image.

About a year into RP for me, if it was rejected once or twice I'd shelve it. At the time I was still unsure.

Now I know what it takes to get on and don't submit ones RP won't like.

Currently I have one in the queue that is on it's third try. First was wrong size, next I goofed and submitted the right size but unsharpened.

I have every expectation it will get in now.
Hmmm.

Now on 5th submission, 5th in line. The screener's have gone to bed. I have to wait till morning.
Problems were mine. Shoulda been more careful.

I Foam Therefore I Am.

My pix on RailPics:

I am on Flickr as well:

"Dennis is such a God, he could do that with a camera obscura and some homemade acetate." Holloran Grade

"To me it looks drawn in in Paintshop. It looks like a puddle of orange on the sky." SFO777
Old 01-20-2010, 05:13 AM   #11
Chase55671
RailPictures.Net Crew

Send a message via AIM to Chase55671 Send a message via MSN to Chase55671

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis A. Livesey View Post
Hmmm.

Now on 5th submission, 5th in line. The screener's have gone to bed. I have to wait till morning.
Problems were mine. Shoulda been more careful.
Don't count 'em out yet! Someone seems to screen up until 2-3am sometimes.

Chase
Click here to view my photos at Railpictures.Net
SLR Night Photography Tutorial | Railpictures.Net Beginners Guide
Chase55671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 05:18 AM   #12
Chase55671
RailPictures.Net Crew

Send a message via AIM to Chase55671 Send a message via MSN to Chase55671

See what I told ya!

Image © Dennis A. Livesey-liveseyimages.com
PhotoID: 311345
Photograph © Dennis A. Livesey-liveseyimages.com

Nice shot!

Chase
Click here to view my photos at Railpictures.Net
SLR Night Photography Tutorial | Railpictures.Net Beginners Guide
Chase55671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 05:56 AM   #13
Dennis A. Livesey

Cool

Your are quick...

Now go to bed!

I Foam Therefore I Am.

My pix on RailPics:

I am on Flickr as well:

Old 01-20-2010, 11:20 PM   #14
WembYard

Most goes that I have ever had was not one of mine

Image © John Cottrell
PhotoID: 239238
Photograph © John Cottrell

John likes the photo a lot for it's historical content and so do I, the 30 odd year old slide is rather grainy and I lost count of how many attempts it took to get on, but would guess less than 10.

As a general rule I don't tend to try more than twice or three times at a push, though for some rejections (like PEQ) I don't bother again.
WembYard is offline   Reply With Quote