Old 01-22-2010, 07:54 PM   #1
Dennis A. Livesey

Cool Looking professional?

On another thread Nick postualted:

"Another reason...is that you'll come across as more professional. If people think you're a professional photographer, or with the paper, or whatever, you'll be able to get away with all sorts of things that you wouldn't normally be able to do..."

I find looking professional can work both ways. Often what Nick says happens. People see the big black camera and lens and think, "Oooo, he is a pro and has permission to be here" and leave you alone.

Other times, while people around you with P&S's are being ignored, security guards go ape if you pull out that big black camera.

Grey hair once and awhile has it's advantages. Young fans right next to me have been hassled by security while we were shooting the same thing.

I Foam Therefore I Am.

My pix on RailPics:

I am on Flickr as well:

"Dennis is such a God, he could do that with a camera obscura and some homemade acetate." Holloran Grade

"To me it looks drawn in in Paintshop. It looks like a puddle of orange on the sky." SFO777
Dennis A. Livesey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 08:10 PM   #2
Walter S

Send a message via AIM to Walter S

I have noticed that people tend to move out of my way more often. But then you have the disadvantages, people always wanting you to take their photo (like when I am using my 500mm) , can you see the moon with that (I have the 10-22 on), personally I can see the moon without my camera, guess I am special haha.
Old 01-22-2010, 08:17 PM   #3
Chase55671
RailPictures.Net Crew

Send a message via AIM to Chase55671 Send a message via MSN to Chase55671

Interesting thread, Dennis. I've definitely received a few comments from railfans and the public in general thinking I am a "professional" simply because of the big black camera. In many cases, as far as the railroad, law enforcement, etc. they think of the big black camera of costing a lot of money, thus, not considering me a threat, but instead, a serious photog.

I get some odd looks too, since I am pretty young to have such expensive camera gear.

Chase
- Still waiting on the some L!
Click here to view my photos at Railpictures.Net
SLR Night Photography Tutorial | Railpictures.Net Beginners Guide
Chase55671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 08:21 PM   #4
Big Grouch

I went to the Ice Drags in Merrill, Wi. last year, a week after Car Craft magazine was there. They all thought I was a pro from another magazine, and I was allowed to wander anywhere I wanted. But then in summer at the dragstrip, they won't let me get anywhere close, because the track photographer also sells his shots to racers, and my insistence that I'm just shooting for myself doesn't seem to help. He doesn't want any competition.
Big Grouch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 08:59 PM   #5
railfanzone

Yep, looking the part helps me quite often (and like Dennis, the grey hair also helps at times) - even with my few dealings with the Law (from local to FBI). I've found that at the very least, looking the part has gotten me the benefit of the doubt with onlookers, including LEO's.

I usually carry two bodies, and at times wear a vest holding my other lenses if I need something beyond my 70-200 and 18-50 (I hate shoulder bags). I usually get people moving aside, letting me get the shot - although, I usually get that anyways at 6' 2"-ish and about 250lbs . The most common question I get is "which paper are you with?" My reply is usually "none, I do freelance work for various magazines" which usually satisfies their curiosity, then they leave me alone. I have had the odd person ask me to take their picture with their camera (which I have no problem doing so long as I'm not in the middle of something). The weirdest looks I get is when I'm at the beach with my kids and are taking pictures of them - I usually use the 70-200. They can't understand why I'm using such a "huge" lens to shoot the kids right in front of me. I don't even bother to explain...they'll never understand bokeh...

Flickr stuff - http://www.flickr.com/photos/nanosphoto/
My Railpictures.net Photos
My published photo portfolio
My one photo on JetPhotos.net
railfanzone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 09:09 PM   #6
ottergoose
American Gunzel

Send a message via AIM to ottergoose Send a message via Yahoo to ottergoose

Shave, wear khakis, carry a big tripod and decent sized bag, and you're all set, in situations where other people will be around anyways.
Old 01-22-2010, 09:40 PM   #7
cblaz

The number 1 rule of looking professional as a railfan photographer:

No mustard-stained train T-shirts that barely cover your stomach.

The end.

- Chris
Old 01-22-2010, 09:43 PM   #8
Chase55671
RailPictures.Net Crew

Send a message via AIM to Chase55671 Send a message via MSN to Chase55671

Quote:
Originally Posted by cblaz View Post

The end.

- Chris

Chase
Click here to view my photos at Railpictures.Net
SLR Night Photography Tutorial | Railpictures.Net Beginners Guide
Chase55671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 09:58 PM   #9
ottergoose
American Gunzel

Send a message via AIM to ottergoose Send a message via Yahoo to ottergoose

Quote:

Also, no matter how great the SD40-2, Milwaukee Road, or any other bit of railroad lore might have been, you don't need to commemorate it with a hat or t-shirt.
Old 01-22-2010, 10:22 PM   #10
Dennis A. Livesey

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottergoose View Post
Also, no matter how great the SD40-2, Milwaukee Road, or any other bit of railroad lore might have been, you don't need to commemorate it with a hat or t-shirt.
Geez, what's the fun in that? You'll give all us foamers a bad reputation.

I Foam Therefore I Am.

My pix on RailPics:

I am on Flickr as well:

"Dennis is such a God, he could do that with a camera obscura and some homemade acetate." Holloran Grade

"To me it looks drawn in in Paintshop. It looks like a puddle of orange on the sky." SFO777
Dennis A. Livesey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 10:58 PM   #11
KevinM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis A. Livesey View Post
Geez, what's the fun in that? You'll give all us foamers a bad reputation.

Yeah, I typically wear a ball cap for sun/rain protection, so it might just as well be railroad-related. I tried slogging through mud and crud and cornfields wearing a three-piecer like Oliver Wendell Douglas on Green Acres, but found that boots, jeans and an old Nomex flying jacket cleaned up easier.

Instead of the professional "look" I go for the professional demeanor.

My RP stuff is here.

Link to my Flickr Albums. Lots of Steam Railroad stuff there from all over the US.
KevinM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 10:59 PM   #12
Freericks
Met Fan

I'm with Dennis on this... it works both ways. I often have two bodies on me, one digital, one slide... and along with a camera bag, I almost look the part of a pro (to people not in the know... a real pro would immediately know I'm not).

I have had folks clear away for me, not bother me, and assume I have permission.

I have had folks come up to me and ask me who gave me permission.

And, in the case of this shot on a movie set, I was kept far away with a telephoto by some 18-year-old PAs, while folks with I-Phones and PNS cameras got to walk right up to it. Actually having been in the biz for twenty years, I should have known better, but to be honest, I drove down there with no idea what to expect, and it wasn't until I got to the location that it suddenly became evident that a PNS was the way to go.

Image © Charles J Freericks
PhotoID: 298049
Photograph © Charles J Freericks

When I went to India, I was told to bring a PNS because the DSLR is way to obvious. This is good advice for locations where train photography is iffy, as you can pull the camera out and put it away quickly, and frankly, if you really do look like a tourist, it seems more like you are doing what you are really doing (taking train pictures for your own enjoyment). But, it really was only usefull when a train was at a complete stop.

I also had the DSLR and used that when I went to a location that was actually railfan friendly (well, railfan tolerant).
Freericks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 12:17 AM   #13
chuckman

None of this applies to me as I'm 13, so people don't quite to know what they think of me when they see me with such pricey equipment. This can be annoying, as one of my most frequented railfan spots, Main St. in Churchville ny, is right next to an antique shop, where I railfan with the owner and his son. Anyway, everyone that goes in and out of there (especially in the cold) asks me what the heck I'm doing! I give about 5 "website cards" a day this way.

My photos on flickr...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/53728467@N08/
chuckman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 12:21 AM   #14
chuckman

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinM View Post
Yeah, I typically wear a ball cap for sun/rain protection, so it might just as well be railroad-related. I tried slogging through mud and crud and cornfields wearing a three-piecer like Oliver Wendell Douglas on Green Acres, but found that boots, jeans and an old Nomex flying jacket cleaned up easier.

Instead of the professional "look" I go for the professional demeanor.
I'll have to go against the school counselor here and right out say that I apologize for my feelings or else there will be a massacre. I find that the best way to appear semi-professional from a railroader's perspective (and the general public) is to not wear railroad apparel. It is nice for train shows, or railfests, but it makes you look like a real Archie Bunker "dingbat" to any non-railfans.

My photos on flickr...

Old 01-23-2010, 12:53 AM   #15
nikos1

I agree with no mustard stained BNSF GEVO shirts, but i dont think theres anything wrong with wearing railfan apparel in moderation. Usually when im railfanning I wear my Hartwell Railroad hat, i dont see anything wrong with it, or wearing a hat with a CSX,NS, BNSF, UP logo whatever on it, many train crews wear the same thing.

Wedge shots of blue HLCX SD60's http://www.railpictures.net/showphotos.php?userid=7861

More wedge shots of blue HLCX SD60's http://nikos1.rrpicturearchives.net/

Video wedge shots of blue HLCX SD60's
http://youtube.com/profile?user=nikosjk1
nikos1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 01:05 AM   #16
KevinM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckman View Post
I'll have to go against the school counselor here and right out say that I apologize for my feelings or else there will be a massacre. I find that the best way to appear semi-professional from a railroader's perspective (and the general public) is to not wear railroad apparel. It is nice for train shows, or railfests, but it makes you look like a real Archie Bunker "dingbat" to any non-railfans.

With a few exceptions, I shoot mostly steam engines. Typically, the crews on those aren't doing the job because of the great pay or benefits. They do it because they love steam engines. When you get to talking to them, they are pretty much all railfans themselves.

My RP stuff is here.

Link to my Flickr Albums. Lots of Steam Railroad stuff there from all over the US.
KevinM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 01:24 AM   #17
TheRoadForeman
Banned

Quote:
Archie Bunker was not a "dingbat".....
TheRoadForeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 02:35 AM   #18
Big Grouch

I was hassled by the owner of a trucking company as I took photos of his trucks. He wanted to know why I was "sneaking" around his trucks. I pointed out that I was on a public sidewalk, at 10AM on Saturday, with a big black camera, and I'm 300 pounds wearing a pink tee shirt. He agreed that if I was sneaking I was doing a poor job of it. And most truck owners know about Hanks Truck Pictures, that usually calms them down.
Big Grouch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 02:52 AM   #19
MNJRR

Send a message via AIM to MNJRR Send a message via MSN to MNJRR

i haven't had this problem yet and i've been on station plat forms and in various other places, but since i only have my learners permit for driving my dad is always with me and i think that probally solves any wondering. I get the simple questions like what kind of camera do i have and that stuff. This summer i'll have my license and i'll have too see what kind of issues i run into.

My videos on youtube
My pictures on Railpictures
MNJRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 06:29 AM   #20
crazytiger

Well, I typically try to avoid the public while railfanning. But that is just me.

Canon EOS 40D
Canon EF 50 f/1.8 II
Canon EF 70-200mm f/4 L USM
Canon EF-S 17-85mm f/4-5.6 IS USM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Friend
everytime i see non-train photos of yours i think, "so much talent. wasted on trains."
crazytiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 08:07 AM   #21
Joey Bowman

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazytiger View Post
Well, I typically try to avoid the public while railfanning. But that is just me.

Same here.
Joey Bowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 08:10 AM   #22
cblaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazytiger View Post
Ahhh, rural railfans. How naive.

- Chris
Old 01-23-2010, 01:01 PM   #23
lerro984

Quote:

The end.

- Chris

Also don't wear your favorite railroad foamer tshirt. "I survived Train Festival 2009" t shirts are never a replacement for a tie.
lerro984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 01:55 PM   #24
chuckman

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRoadForeman View Post
Archie Bunker was not a "dingbat".....
He referred to people as dingbats frequently though, such as his wife Edith. On another note, like the post above me says, don't wear anything ridiculous or silly. (Unless you're on a tourist railroad). A hat with a railroad logo I guess is okay though.

My photos on flickr...

Last edited by chuckman; 01-23-2010 at 01:58 PM.
Old 01-23-2010, 02:16 PM   #25
TheRoadForeman
Banned

Quote:
He referred to people as dingbats frequently though, such as his wife Edith. On another note, like the post above me says, don't wear anything ridiculous or silly. (Unless you're on a tourist railroad). A hat with a railroad logo I guess is okay though.
Noted. However, I drive a Lincoln so I don't think that what a person wears is important. Everyone is an individual and I don't judge based on apperance.
TheRoadForeman is offline   Reply With Quote