Old 03-22-2006, 04:26 PM   #1
Joe the Photog

Default Over/Under Opinion Request

This shot http://www.railpictures.net/viewreject.php?id=227504 was rejected for "Bad Motive." It was my first over/under. Luck did not go my way entirely as the pig train on the under was mostly empty by the time the NS local up top passed. What do you think guys?

Joe

Last edited by Joe the Photog; 03-22-2006 at 04:34 PM. Reason: got mixed up on rejection reason
Joe the Photog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2006, 04:32 PM   #2
Joe the Photog

This one was rejected for bad angle too --

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreject.php?id=227505

Joe
Old 03-22-2006, 04:49 PM   #3
David Telesha

I really like the night shot.. Definitely different - RP might've missed out on it - did you appeal?

The second shot, bad angle I can see - looks like you were on the darker side of the tracks judging by the trains shadow.
Old 03-22-2006, 06:37 PM   #4
hoydie17
We Own The Night...

Send a message via AIM to hoydie17 Send a message via Yahoo to hoydie17

Nothing personal Joe, but I agree with the screeners here on both accounts.

1st photo: All I see is a bridge/trestle and some streaks of light. Nothing about it says railroading to me, and the colors are just off from my perspective. Had there been a signal or something in the photo to focus your attention on it might be a different story.

2nd photo: I'll second Dave's comments.

A for effort though.

Sean

Or if you want to see my work here at RP.net? Click here.

"It's just a damn train son!"
hoydie17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2006, 07:20 PM   #5
Joe the Photog

I'm not losing any sleep over the second shot, truth be known. I've gotten dark side of the train shots in before and was curious if I could this time. The first shot is the main one I was curious to hear other people opine about. I've been tring for an over/under there for seven years. Wouldn't you know it would happen at 3 o'clock in the morning?

Joe
Old 03-22-2006, 08:43 PM   #6
Andrew Blaszczyk (2)

Send a message via AIM to Andrew Blaszczyk (2) Send a message via Yahoo to Andrew Blaszczyk (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog
I'm not losing any sleep over the second shot, truth be known. I've gotten dark side of the train shots in before and was curious if I could this time. The first shot is the main one I was curious to hear other people opine about. I've been tring for an over/under there for seven years. Wouldn't you know it would happen at 3 o'clock in the morning?
Other shots that don't meet all RP requirements get on just because people walk in a few feet of snow for them so I don't understand why your persistence and being up at 3AM didn't affect the screening? I would appeal and see what happens with it. I personally like it a lot, while going through the shots on the queue this morning I saw it and thought it would be close to top of the day. I guess I was wrong unfortunately. I'm not gonna give you the lame advice of "one for the personal collection". This is a unique shot that shows nice compostion and patience and deserves its spot on RP! Just because someone dislikesnight shots or streak shots rather, doesn't mean it should be viewed/screened differently from a lame night "roster" shot or a "flashbulb" night shot is. Yours is much more artistic and required thought also. Good luck and I hope this shot makes it because it tells an interesting story which you show well.

Railroads don't just run during the day in perfect sun in spectacular scenery. There's a lot more to it!

"My camera is an artistic medium, not a tool of terrorism."

www.ab2photography.com Coming soon!
My photos on RailPictures:
http://www.railpictures.net/showphotos.php?userid=960
Andrew Blaszczyk (2) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2006, 09:24 PM   #7
ssw9662

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Blaszczyk (2)
Other shots that don't meet all RP requirements get on just because people walk in a few feet of snow for them so I don't understand why your persistence and being up at 3AM didn't affect the screening? I would appeal and see what happens with it. I personally like it a lot, while going through the shots on the queue this morning I saw it and thought it would be close to top of the day. I guess I was wrong unfortunately. I'm not gonna give you the lame advice of "one for the personal collection". This is a unique shot that shows nice compostion and patience and deserves its spot on RP! Just because someone dislikesnight shots or streak shots rather, doesn't mean it should be viewed/screened differently from a lame night "roster" shot or a "flashbulb" night shot is. Yours is much more artistic and required thought also. Good luck and I hope this shot makes it because it tells an interesting story which you show well.

Railroads don't just run during the day in perfect sun in spectacular scenery. There's a lot more to it!
Very well said Andrew!
Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM
Canon 50mm f/1.8
My Railpictures.net Photos
flickr
ssw9662 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2006, 09:42 PM   #8
hoydie17
We Own The Night...

Joe,

Had you thought about shooting to get the EOT's on this shot? That would have made it more appealing. Something to consider next time maybe.

Sean

Old 03-22-2006, 09:48 PM   #9
bigiron

Well my opinion would side with the screeners here too.....omg am I saying that? My reason would be the top is fine as for the amount of strong streaks, the stars even showing the earth's rotation with their movement in the frame. I think the bottom needed to catch part of the engine about to enter the frame to give it that boost to the bottom as it's flat with the mild streaks and leaving no doubt it's RR material. Too bad as I like the red twigged dogwoods on the right (if the color is correct and my woody knowledge isn't failing me) and the overall interest is there except for the lower view having that dead spot and being close to the picture center is key.

Guess I'm not the only one that's been out in the middle of the night on the hunt, lol.

Good effort and I guess it's a matter of getting a bit luckier and learning as I am.

Rich
bigiron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2006, 09:58 PM   #10
hoydie17
We Own The Night...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Blaszczyk (2)

I think until you REALLY know the screeners' motives, it'd be best to keep those opinions to yourself. Just throwing that out there.

Sean

Old 03-22-2006, 10:42 PM   #11
Joe the Photog

It was a shot in the dark in more ways than one. I saw the light go green on the CSX line and decided to set up here. The odd thing is that I've got a streak shot in the database from this exact location of a train passing under the bridge, so I was going to see what happened. I thought the CSX train might stop to switch out and if so might creep under the bridge or even stop. But I also knew that NS was working the Bowater yard and was hoping against hope this would be the time I would catch an over and under. I decided that I would wait until the CSX train was right beside me before I hit the remote. The shutter was wide open for 30 seconds because I was in almost complete darkness except for the train headlights.

As I said, it was an intermodal train going at a pretty good clip. It had double stacks on the head end that looked ghostly as they passed. I could hear NS literally creeping up and wanted to wait for that shot to make sure I would get them crossing the bridge. But then I looked behind me and realized the pigs were almost finished rolling through. I did the best I could. If the CSX train had been moving slower or the NS been moving faster...... but neither was, so it's a moot point.

I do appreciate *all* of the comments though.

Joe
Old 03-24-2006, 12:40 AM   #12
IC 6071

Send a message via Yahoo to IC 6071

Well, I had bad luck at 1st with streak shots. I was told to include something artistic in the shot (which I thing you did nicely, however I'm of course not a screener) so this is what I did:

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=131318

I was sure to include the crossing and crossing gates, the EOT, which was suggested by someone already, as well as the old station in the pic. I hope this helps someone, because personally, I love those streak shots, and it would be nice to see more get in!
-Adam

May the CCP the WC and the IC LIVE ON

Last edited by unionpacificfreak; 03-24-2006 at 12:43 AM.
IC 6071 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006, 01:46 AM   #13
BNSF_SD40-2B

Send a message via Yahoo to BNSF_SD40-2B

I hate night shots, not because of the look, but because of the wait. I've taken some shot over the last few months and they didn't turn out so great, and I also froze my butt off!!!!!!!!! . I'll probably take it back up again when it gets warm.
Old 03-24-2006, 02:35 AM   #14
Chachi

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoydie17
1st photo: All I see is a bridge/trestle and some streaks of light. Nothing about it says railroading to me, and the colors are just off from my perspective. Had there been a signal or something in the photo to focus your attention on it might be a different story.
Sean
I see a railway bridge, ballast, rail, a railway control box of some sort on the other side...and streaks of light distinctive to a moving train, sure seems like railroading to me...

I like it...good night shot.

Cam
Chachi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2006, 10:00 AM   #15
Joe the Photog

Someone mentioned getting an EOT in the shot. That actually is the end of the CSX train under the bridge. Keep in mind how fast the pigs move and then the small window of track that's actually shown in the shot. The EOT did move through the frame.

One last thought before I move on to the shots I hope to take today. Look at this image from a photographer in the database. As you can see, this fellow used the same exact composition that mine in this thread got "Bad Motive" for. His composition is good ayear ago but mine is bad today? Hm.

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=89147

I took both shots, by the way.

Joe H.