Old 11-24-2008, 05:29 PM   #1
lock4244

Default Do you submit everything?

When you get home from a day of railfanning, do you process and submit everything that you consider has a chance to get on RP or do you send in a few and keep the bulk for personal use? Do you want everything you've got on RP or do you hold back for some future project (magazine article, book, etc.) given that often publishers prefer previously unseen work?

Insert witty comment here

Hot girl on girl action here!

More Pics Here
lock4244 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 05:50 PM   #2
travsirocz

Send a message via AIM to travsirocz

I usually submit a couple here and there. I also mix it up from my last time out to last year. I don't hold a lot back unless I am for sure submitting something somewhere but most of my printed work has been found here at rpnet.
travsirocz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 05:50 PM   #3
Mike B.
Banned

I most certainly do not put everything I have on RP. I would be quite a failure if I did since I only have 45 (or so) photos on RP. It just seems like a waste to put everything you have on RP or any other website, but some people can't stand the thought of not showing their photos to everyone willing to look. Whatever floats your boat I guess.
Mike B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 05:53 PM   #4
travsirocz

Send a message via AIM to travsirocz

Just to clarify, I have 1000s and 1000s of shots that I do not post anywhere. I rarely submit any wedgies or roster shots unless there is something unique about it.
travsirocz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 06:03 PM   #5
Cinderpath

I rarely post on RP.net, as my collection is huge, so I have been slowly adding some images here and there.

Personally I'd rather post a few really outstanding images, or personal favorites than flood the data base with pictures that while may be technically OK, but are artistically not inspiring. Some trips yield great images, while others may produce shots that while are of personal interest, are probably not of interest to the community as a whole.

I guess the question is if I go out to a known location, where there are already many photos taken there on RP.net, is there any benefit to adding similar images? For me personally, unless the photo itself is very unusual (lighting,weather,power,etc) the answer is no, but your mileage may vary.
Cinderpath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 07:23 PM   #6
Freericks
Met Fan

I have tens of thousands of shots, so no... I don't submit everything.

It's really what strikes my fancy at any moment in time... and it may not be the most "picture postcard perfect" shot that does so.

Usually when I am either editing new shots, or scanning older shots, or organizing my even older scans, I'll pick one or two of that group that I am intrigued by and will submit them.

Can't say that there is a particular rhyme or reason. Might be just that I have a fond memory of the moment I took it, or that I like how it looks, or that I think it's a rare catch, or that I think people will be interested to see it.

Last edited by Freericks; 11-24-2008 at 07:26 PM.
Freericks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 07:29 PM   #7
Slopes09

Send a message via AIM to Slopes09

I try to get a few on RP the day after I shoot generally, but it has more to do with:
a) When I get home, I'm excited about the new images and want to get them edited and out there ASAP.
b) Many times, I realize I won't have time later on to submit them if I don't get them in right away.

As evidence for the second argument, I have at least 20 or 30 shots from the last year I'd like to get into the DB that got rejected for fixable reasons that I still need to go back and rework. With any luck, I should get that done over Christmas Break.

Pretty much the only Pentax Shooter.

Click Here to view my photos at RailPictures.Net!
Slopes09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 07:57 PM   #8
KevinM

I post for three reasons really....

1. Share scenes of places I've been with folks who may decide to go see it for themselves, or for folks who may never get there.

2. Share my pix with friends and family (those who are interested ) remotely.

3. Share my pix with the railroaders themselves, many of whom don't have any pictures of themselves or their equipment in action.

I shoot mostly vintage equipment. Steam, trolleys and sometimes diesels...if they are older than me. If I take a trip or a charter and shoot 500-1000 shots, you may end up seeing 6-10 of the better ones here. I try to post shots that give a good flavor of the goings-on at a given line and I try not to duplicate what others have posted. I am not, and never have been, a volume uploader. I post maybe one or two per day, so it might take a week or two to post the pick of a trip.

In between trips, I browse my archives for shots with possibilities. I put 'em into an experiments folder and work on them as time permits. If I get them looking good enough, I will post them as well. Hey, my most successful shot yet made POTW and started out life as nothing more than an experiment that I thought had some possibilities....

My RP stuff is here.

Link to my Flickr Albums. Lots of Steam Railroad stuff there from all over the US.
KevinM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 09:21 PM   #9
Mike B.
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slopes09
a) When I get home, I'm excited about the new images and want to get them edited and out there ASAP.
I'm the complete opposite. After I shoot, I usually don't even get the files onto my computer for at least a week. I have a good friend who when he gets home he goes through his stuff immediately and doesn't understand why I don't. I can't say I understand either. Maybe it's easier to accept that I wasted my time and didn't get a good shot and it's easier to be surprised when a shot actually works.
Mike B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 12:17 AM   #10
JimThias

I have pictures that are 4-6 months old that I haven't even gotten around to editing yet. Some may be added to my gallery, some may not. Others may end up on rrarchives if I feel they aren't "special" enough to be here. If I get a picture that I think stands out more so than usual, I'll submit it much sooner than the rest, though.
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 12:28 AM   #11
jdirelan87

When I first got onto RP a few years back now, I use to upload probably something like 75% of what I shot for two reasons...

first I had just went digital and was going through that 'wow' phase about how easy digital was and how cool it was that now hundreds of people could see my pictures on the internet rather than a handful at a slide show. Second, I had just arrived in Pittsburgh, PA for school and was blown away by the volume and variety of trains.

Now I would say that number is something like 10-15% as I have gotten into the mind set of tricking people into thinking I know what I'm doing by only showing my 'best.' In fact, over the last six months I've had pretty significant negative growth as I've had about a hundred shots removed from the site.

I'm more or less shooting to keep about 600 'interesting' or 'historical' shots on the site. I figure thats enough to offer a pretty good summary of Western PA railfanning (in addition to a few from my travels), something I'm always trying to promote.
jdirelan87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 01:12 AM   #12
nikos1

Usually after a good day i have a few photos that i think stand out and get them uploaded first. After battling with the screeners and on good days getting them in eventually i turn to the other stuff, wedgies, rosters whatever that are well lit enough for a chance at the DB. Though i usually end up shooting in excess of 100 pictures a day, over 200 on a good day (no i dont see anywhere near that many train, i actually really see only about 3 or 4 a day), the number i consider for RP is usually in the single digits, the other train stuff i upload to RRPA, some of the rest, the not directly railroad related stuff for Flikr and then some just for personal modeling reference.

Wedge shots of blue HLCX SD60's http://www.railpictures.net/showphotos.php?userid=7861

More wedge shots of blue HLCX SD60's http://nikos1.rrpicturearchives.net/

Video wedge shots of blue HLCX SD60's
http://youtube.com/profile?user=nikosjk1
nikos1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 11:04 AM   #13
Andrew Blaszczyk (2)

Send a message via AIM to Andrew Blaszczyk (2) Send a message via Yahoo to Andrew Blaszczyk (2)

I just did the math and my upload percentage for 2008 is a mere .46%. For the past three years (fully digital) it would have to be even lower.

"My camera is an artistic medium, not a tool of terrorism."

www.ab2photography.com Coming soon!
My photos on RailPictures:
http://www.railpictures.net/showphotos.php?userid=960
Andrew Blaszczyk (2) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 11:27 AM   #14
milwman
I shoot what I like

Send a message via Yahoo to milwman

Two or three out of 40 or 60 shots is what i aim for if its the same train. All the corn fields look the same, gets hard to make them look different from the last shot. Having good light at the end of the day can make the day.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/22299476@N05/
milwman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 02:54 PM   #15
J Douglas Moore

Since starting to shot trains in May and going DSLR in July, I have about 1800 images. 25 on RP, 7 firm RP rejects, and many shots that are almost dups that I will likely delete. I usually D/L the RAW files when I get home, quick look to see if anything pops, then maybe process a few if good. Just varies based on time, etc.

"Thanks for looking"

It is a proven fact that birthdays are good for you. The people with the most always live longer!
J Douglas Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 03:43 PM   #16
trainboysd40

Send a message via MSN to trainboysd40

I submit basically everything. Good acceptance rate, too.
I should probably start taking more pictures...
Obligatory link to shots on RP, HERE
trainboysd40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 04:45 PM   #17
ken45
LA&SL Fanatic

Short answer: No.

I used to submit everything decent (RP acceptable) that I took. As I began to take more interesting shots, I began to use a lot more discretion regarding what I uploaded, as overall quality became more important to me than quantity. But overall, what motivates me to submit a shot varies from day to day. Usually it's just a shot that meets a certain criteria with me as far as interest. If I'm on a cold streak or haven't submitted anything in a while, I may put a shot on to keep up appearances.

Regarding holding back photos, I don't see myself as someone who's ultimately selling very many if any photos. I put my best stuff on RP, because to me, RP is like a slideshow with a bunch of railfan buddies, especially those who regularly comment on my shots and vice-versa. I wouldn't want them to hold back their best work from me, so why would I from them? One exeption to that rule is that I want to start submitting shots for consideration for the UP Calendar. So I held back a couple shots this year, but will likely reshoot the angles and submit them to RP later.
Old 11-25-2008, 04:53 PM   #18
lock4244

The reason I ask is because I have alot of stuff I don't submit, chiefly because I have this bizarre idea that some of it might get published someday and I wish to keep some of my work unseen. I'm not talking published as in sold to a business, but published in a magazine or book... it's nice to be able to showcase some new, unseen shots that were taken 10 or 20 years ago (or beyond).

Not to say that anyone shouldn't post everything or alot of what they shoot... knock youself out if that's what suits you. I was just wondering if I'm the only one that holds back (I was pretty sure I was not).

Insert witty comment here

Hot girl on girl action here!

More Pics Here

Last edited by lock4244; 11-25-2008 at 06:06 PM.
lock4244 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 05:04 PM   #19
ottergoose
American Gunzel

Send a message via AIM to ottergoose Send a message via Yahoo to ottergoose

Last time I chased a train in good light there were 9 photos of it in the database the next morning, if that answers the question
Old 11-25-2008, 06:16 PM   #20
Andrew Blaszczyk (2)

Send a message via AIM to Andrew Blaszczyk (2) Send a message via Yahoo to Andrew Blaszczyk (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottergoose
Last time I chased a train in good light there were 9 photos of it in the database the next morning, if that answers the question
Exactly!

"My camera is an artistic medium, not a tool of terrorism."

www.ab2photography.com Coming soon!
My photos on RailPictures:
http://www.railpictures.net/showphotos.php?userid=960
Andrew Blaszczyk (2) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 08:17 PM   #21
Ween

I'm a submitter. That's not to say I submit everything (that would be hard/impossible given the fact I'll take mash and wider shots as the train get closer in most cases), but if a shot would be accepted by me if I were a screener, it'll pass through the submission wickets at RP. I'm not worried about de-virginizing my shots by displaying them here or hording them for future use, but I'm also not a quantity guy either. What you see is what you get. Perhaps my mentality would be different if I were in a high traffic area and shooting trains would be like fishing with dynamite, then maybe I would be a bit more restrained with what I upload, but that's not the case.
Old 11-25-2008, 10:53 PM   #22
TheRoadForeman
Banned

I simply cannot upload all of my Railroad photos to RP, my company would greatly frown upon it!!

-- Kevin
TheRoadForeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 02:37 AM   #23
WembYard

I have never worked out percentages but, at a guess, I submit well under 10% of everything I take / have taken. The first thing that I do after taking some pictures or sorting out slides is to select the ones that I want to post to our own site (really need to be more selective on this front!). Whilst going through the images I copy any for RP consideration into a seperate folder and process at leisure, not usually straight away as the "cold light of day" often brings about a change of opinion on whether to submit (or not).
WembYard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 04:35 AM   #24
Chachi

Quote:
Originally Posted by lock4244
The reason I ask is because I have alot of stuff I don't submit, chiefly because I have this bizarre idea that some of it might get published someday and I wish to keep some of my work unseen. I'm not talking published as in sold to a business, but published in a magazine or book... it's nice to be able to showcase some new, unseen shots that were taken 10 or 20 years ago (or beyond).
You and I think alike in this matter, I don't submit everything, with that same idea in mind.
Chachi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 05:33 AM   #25
Watain
-_-

Send a message via MSN to Watain

When I first started submitting to this website, I would upload just about everything, maybe 3 shots out of 7 would make it in. Now I generally wont submit a photo unless I think it will get accepted, or at least has a pretty good chance. On my recent shoot chasing the CSX Santa Train, I figured these two shots would be hit for cloudy, but I liked the way they looked and they ended up getting accepted.

Image © Wayne Stumbo
PhotoID: 261029
Photograph © Wayne Stumbo

Image © Wayne Stumbo
PhotoID: 260995
Photograph © Wayne Stumbo
Watain is offline   Reply With Quote