Old 02-12-2020, 08:10 AM   #1
Daniel SIMON

Default Game rules for "foreground clutter"

Sometimes I find it hard to understand why the rules of the game for "foreground clutter" can vary from one member to another. I have choosen these two examples, but I could have found others.

REJECTED:
https://www.railpictures.net/viewrej...21&key=9162581

ACCEPTED:
Image © Ddrennenphoto
PhotoID: 724878
Photograph © Ddrennenphoto

Image © Ddrennenphoto
PhotoID: 725350
Photograph © Ddrennenphoto
Daniel SIMON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 08:33 AM   #2
miningcamper1

Image © Tom Farence
PhotoID: 725163
Photograph © Tom Farence

I won't repeat what I said when I saw this one!

RP Photos: www.railpictures.net/miningcamper1/
miningcamper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 02:26 PM   #3
bigbassloyd

Your rejected image is the textbook definition of obstruction. The grass, tree, house, fence, etc. is not supporting the composition. The shot could easily be cropped to lose the left third of the image and not lose anything.

The first image you linked, while highly obstructing to the locomotive, does have composition interest to it. Not sure it deserves a spot here because of that however. I can understand why the second image was accepted because the foreground blur does offer more support to the composition in a panning shot.

So in conclusion, The screener(s) do whatever they see fit and we just accept it or move on. Judging by the site activity over the last couple years, the latter seems prevalent.

Loyd L.

My personal photography site
bigbassloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 03:34 PM   #4
Daniel SIMON

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbassloyd View Post
Your rejected image is the textbook definition of obstruction. The grass, tree, house, fence, etc. is not supporting the composition. The shot could easily be cropped to lose the left third of the image and not lose anything.

The first image you linked, while highly obstructing to the locomotive, does have composition interest to it. Not sure it deserves a spot here because of that however. I can understand why the second image was accepted because the foreground blur does offer more support to the composition in a panning shot.

So in conclusion, The screener(s) do whatever they see fit and we just accept it or move on. Judging by the site activity over the last couple years, the latter seems prevalent.

Loyd L.
Many thanks for your comments Loyd. How would you judge this one ?

Image © Bill Edgar
PhotoID: 725368
Photograph © Bill Edgar
Daniel SIMON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 04:38 PM   #5
RobJor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel SIMON View Post

Image © Bill Edgar
Photograph © Bill Edgar
This unit is not moving so that is only view available short of a weed wacker plus the weeds supplement the abandoned story so I am OK with it.

As far as yours, given the type of line it is I consider weeds part of expected scene which is pleasant so could be accepted.

I am not a fan of posing tractors, cars, cute kids etc in front of subject or backsides of fans taking photos(ok for your loca show) but will own up to this one which was complete serendipity.

Image © Robert Jordan
PhotoID: 589896
Photograph © Robert Jordan

Bob

Last edited by RobJor; 02-12-2020 at 04:43 PM.
RobJor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 05:14 PM   #6
bigbassloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel SIMON View Post

Image © Bill Edgar
Photograph © Bill Edgar
The weeds do support the composition as it lends credence to it being an abandoned / broken / forgotten locomotive that hasn't moved in some time. I would have probably accepted it.

Loyd L.

My personal photography site
bigbassloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 06:24 PM   #7
Grewup on the CW

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobJor View Post
This unit is not moving so that is only view available short of a weed wacker plus the weeds supplement the abandoned story so I am OK with it.

As far as yours, given the type of line it is I consider weeds part of expected scene which is pleasant so could be accepted.

I am not a fan of posing tractors, cars, cute kids etc in front of subject or backsides of fans taking photos(ok for your loca show) but will own up to this one which was complete serendipity.

Image © Robert Jordan
PhotoID: 589896
Photograph © Robert Jordan

Bob
Just cannot go wrong with a classic Mustang (sorry Chevy lovers, umm not), especially one like this that appears to have been maliciously restored. The train still holds it own.

To the OP - Loyd hit the nail on the head. Weeds in general is gonna kill a "normal" pic especially a loco that is in operation while something that is abandon or rusting away that may hold historical significance will get a pass.
Grewup on the CW is offline   Reply With Quote