hoydie17
We Own The Night...

Send a message via AIM to hoydie17 Send a message via Yahoo to hoydie17
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by becker
And that got him where...?

Finally?

My oh my, you can just feel the love here.

Sean

Or if you want to see my work here at RP.net? Click here.

"It's just a damn train son!"
hoydie17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2006, 10:34 AM   #52
SD70MACMAN
The man with the plan

Send a message via AIM to SD70MACMAN

*Yawn*

UP's new slogan for Amtrak:
"We'll help you spread you wings and fly right into a siding!"

TRAINS TRAINS TRAINS!!! May the fun never end!
I'm a traitor! Im on JP.net! But all my plane shots involve trains!

BN FOREVER!
SD70MACMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2006, 01:02 AM   #53
Andrew Blaszczyk (2)

Send a message via AIM to Andrew Blaszczyk (2) Send a message via Yahoo to Andrew Blaszczyk (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD70MACMAN
*Yawn*
I agree. In the latest issue of TRAINS there in the "Abandonments" section (I don't know the real name) it said that CP has 3 years to sell almost 600+ miles of branch track in 3 provinces. I would love to check those out if some turn out to be bought by shortlines or turned into shortlines.

"My camera is an artistic medium, not a tool of terrorism."

www.ab2photography.com Coming soon!
My photos on RailPictures:
http://www.railpictures.net/showphotos.php?userid=960
Andrew Blaszczyk (2) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2006, 02:52 PM   #54
jfusaro

i've had the good fortune to travel to japan on four separate occasions - for business.

i.m.h.o., japan is railfan heaven. the entire country is built around their rail infrastructure. there are relatively few places in japan that you cannot get to by rail. they move a lot of freight on rail, but based on my observations, passenger movement seems to be the first priority.

in large cities, like tokyo, owning a car is prohibitively expensive. basically, there is no where to park/store a car and the streets are very crowded.

the local trains/subways are the best and least expensive way to get around - even for foreigners, believe it or not. their train management is unbelievable in terms of the number of trains moving and the accuracy at which they move. if the schedule says that your train will arrive at 10:32am, it will be there. if you get to your platform at 10:30, and a train is already sitting there, it's the previous train - not yours. and, if you miss your train, another will be along in ten minutes.

japan is also railfan friendly (within reason - you will still get into trouble for being someplace that you aren't supposed to be - just like here). but, you can buy a platform pass for about $3.00. this will allow you walk around on the train platforms for four hours. you can't ride a train with a platform pass, but you will see an unbleivable amount of traffic. i spent a sunday afternoon on the shinkansen (bullet train) platform at tokyo station. i saw no less than two dozen express trains arrive and depart in that time. the biggest problem taking photos in tokyo station, is being on the right platform, at the right time. there are eight separate platforms - if memory serves correctly.

i would love to be able to spend one month in japan, traveling by rail. i would like to be able photo and video somewhere outsied the cities to get some better scenery. i'd love to get some video of the express and shinkansen trains at full speed.

i've ridden dozens of local and commutre trains, in my time there. i've only been able to ride a shinkansen twice. but, i still have not had the opportunity to ride the "mother of all shinkansen's" - the jr 500.

Image © Jeffrey Fusaro
PhotoID: 157294
Photograph © Jeffrey Fusaro

i have a bunch of photos thay i took when i was there in august 2004. only three were worthy of acceptance on rp.net. maybe i should do a trip report and share them that way.

jeffrey fusaro

Last edited by jfusaro; 10-19-2006 at 03:02 PM.
jfusaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2006, 06:00 PM   #55
Callufrax
?

Location: Nth. Strathfield, Main Northern, CityRail - Sydney, NSW, Australia
Smile Platform fences

One thing that really fascinated me were the fenced Shinkansen platforms. The only gaps being where the train doors line up to. I was impressed by the precision used to ensure the doors do line up with the fence gaps. I've never seen that anywhere else!

Added to that, people line up quite orderly. There's no pushing and shoving getting on or off a train!
Old 10-19-2006, 06:28 PM   #56
jfusaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Callufrax

Added to that, people line up quite orderly. There's no pushing and shoving getting on or off a train!
... the only exception being senior citizens. i've seen 90lb. grannies give hits that would make a linebacker proud, tyrying to get onto a local train.

did you ever see the platform workers use "the board" to shove the last five people into an already overcrowded local train?

no such thing a "full" local train...

jeffrey fusaro
jfusaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2006, 08:13 PM   #57
Callufrax
?

Location: Nth. Strathfield, Main Northern, CityRail - Sydney, NSW, Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfusaro
... the only exception being senior citizens. i've seen 90lb. grannies give hits that would make a linebacker proud, tyrying to get onto a local train.

did you ever see the platform workers use "the board" to shove the last five people into an already overcrowded local train?

no such thing a "full" local train...
Hah. Never seen that!