Old 11-18-2010, 03:09 AM   #26
Joey Bowman

Quote:
Originally Posted by troy12n View Post
Taking her to it more than once = he wont be getting any for a while...

Starting Sunday I will be lucky if im home more than once a week, not worried
Joey Bowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 08:07 AM   #27
jdirelan87

I know this thread is teetering on the edge of being dead, but I was finally able to get a chance to see the movie tonight. Ya, the story line was full of holes and the acting was pretty cheesy (Denzel plays the same character is every movie), but I was extremely impressed with the attention to detail in respects to both the railroad and Western PA.

The terminology was right ('in the hole,' 'lash-up,' 'notch 8,' 'long hood forward'), everybody was dressed the part and they even added railroady things beyond the obvious (highrailers, dispatching centers, crew vans, slow orders). They obviously did their homework. How easy would it have been to just rent out a tourist railroad and do a cheap repaint (like most movies do if they need a railroad)?

The first 20 minutes of the movie where they set the mood and introduced the characters was also extremely well done. The weather, the clothing, houses, rolling hills, blue collar workers - the whole thing screamed Pittsburgh (and made me miss that great place even more than I already do). They even used a lot of Western PA names.

Overall I enjoyed. Like I said earlier, it was filled with obvious plot holes and wasn't very realistic... but its one of those movies that you check your mind out at the door. The acting was pretty forced and the themes pretty simple (in case you didn't pick up on it, corporate is evil and only cares about money), not to mention I was getting dizzy - I don't think the there was a single stationary scene in the entire movie. I have a hard time accepting trying to make some thing as not exciting of trains really really exciting, but overall great effort.

Last edited by jdirelan87; 11-22-2010 at 08:13 AM.
jdirelan87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 11:50 PM   #28
troy12n

I finally got around to watching it, and by and large, I thought it was very good. Definitely action and fast paced. Before you knew it, it was over.

Some thoughts:
1. Is it that damn hard to use the proper terminology? Why go out of your way to use the wrong term.
2. If they REALLY Wanted to derail it, they would not have used a derail, they would have removed a section of track
3. The part where the 2 locomotives got in front of the runnaway, why did a crewmember not stand on the rear of the trailing unit, then climb across to the runnaway, open the door and set the brakes?
4. The part where the 2 SD40's derailed and exploded into flames. LoL, yea right.
5. At the end when the runnaway rounded the curve in "Stanton" and the lead engines where leaning up on only the outside set of wheels? Come on man...
6. The seeming ignorance of the conductor was astounding. Cutting in too many cars, not knowing the rules, whatever he did on the turntable, etc
7. Signal aspects: Anyone catch a few odd ones like the blinking red X on the CPL?
8. City names. Why use some real ones and some fake ones? Be consistent, this made no sense.
9. I checked google earth to make sure, but it seemed pretty incredibly unrealistic that they would put several HUGE Petroleum storage tanks immediately next to an elevated viaduct on a curve.

All in all I was pleased, it just bugs me sometimes when they use bogus terms or do something no real railroader would EVER do.

You can really tell the fake railroad AVWR was modeled after CSX because they had like 4 different paint schemes, lol

Last edited by troy12n; 06-04-2011 at 11:54 PM.
troy12n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 05:59 PM   #29
Watain
-_-

Send a message via MSN to Watain

Where is this super SD40 that has more horsepower than a Dash-9?

Since when do engineers jump out of the cab of a moving train?

Wheres my 3-step protection?

Why use engine numbers instead of train ID's? Instead of ''train 1206'', why not Train 12A or something like that?

Other than that, and what has already been mentioned, I have to say it was an extremely entertaining and suspenseful movie, that was really filmed well.
Watain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 06:45 PM   #30
Joe the Photog

Quote:
You can really tell the fake railroad AVWR was modeled after CSX because they had like 4 different paint schemes, lol
Except all of the AVWR paint schemes are much better than anyof the CSX paint schemes.
Old 06-08-2011, 03:33 AM   #31
Soo 6060
EMD > GE

Quote:
I finally got around to watching it, and by and large, I thought it was very good. Definitely action and fast paced. Before you knew it, it was over.

Some thoughts:
1. Is it that damn hard to use the proper terminology? Why go out of your way to use the wrong term.
2. If they REALLY Wanted to derail it, they would not have used a derail, they would have removed a section of track
3. The part where the 2 locomotives got in front of the runnaway, why did a crewmember not stand on the rear of the trailing unit, then climb across to the runnaway, open the door and set the brakes?
4. The part where the 2 SD40's derailed and exploded into flames. LoL, yea right.
5. At the end when the runnaway rounded the curve in "Stanton" and the lead engines where leaning up on only the outside set of wheels? Come on man...
6. The seeming ignorance of the conductor was astounding. Cutting in too many cars, not knowing the rules, whatever he did on the turntable, etc
7. Signal aspects: Anyone catch a few odd ones like the blinking red X on the CPL?
8. City names. Why use some real ones and some fake ones? Be consistent, this made no sense.
9. I checked google earth to make sure, but it seemed pretty incredibly unrealistic that they would put several HUGE Petroleum storage tanks immediately next to an elevated viaduct on a curve.

All in all I was pleased, it just bugs me sometimes when they use bogus terms or do something no real railroader would EVER do.

And they put the recording of an SD40-2 starting up, while the GEs were firing up..LOL. (Probably because it takes longer for the GE start up cycle [Note: GE lovers, I'm not bashing GE by saying that..])
Soo 6060 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 09:00 AM   #32
Watain
-_-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soo 6060 View Post
And they put the recording of an SD40-2 starting up, while the GEs were firing up..LOL. (Probably because it takes longer for the GE start up cycle [Note: GE lovers, I'm not bashing GE by saying that..])
I noticed that too, kind of made me laugh..
Old 06-10-2011, 11:36 AM   #33
milwman
I shoot what I like

Send a message via Yahoo to milwman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watain View Post
I noticed that too, kind of made me laugh..
I still haven't seen it? The editor didn't know a EMD from a GE as most non fan rails don't care and just know the numbers they don't like. That is true! They know them by Loud, Ride bad, or wont load.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/22299476@N05/
milwman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 07:52 PM   #34
Joe the Photog

I'm a railfan and I couldn't tell you the difference in how a GE and an SD40-2 sounds starting up. I do believe that's called taking a movie critique to a wild extreme.
Old 06-10-2011, 10:50 PM   #35
troy12n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
I'm a railfan and I couldn't tell you the difference in how a GE and an SD40-2 sounds starting up. I do believe that's called taking a movie critique to a wild extreme.

Yea, of all the things to critique, that is pretty picky. I noticed it too, the entire movie the GE's sounded like EMD's, but it was so minimal its not worth mentioning to me. It was the fake terminology that really pissed me off the most.
Old 06-11-2011, 06:15 AM   #36
Watain
-_-

I guess I am a nerd.. -_-
Old 06-11-2011, 02:48 PM   #37
JimThias

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
Same here. And I had to resist the urge to reply to that with a smart ass comment when I first read it.

This pretty much sums it up: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Thias
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 04:26 PM   #38
milwman
I shoot what I like

Send a message via Yahoo to milwman

EMD http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zen6J...eature=related

GE http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jQOl3...eature=related

ALCO http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iD5Pm...eature=related

http://www.flickr.com/photos/22299476@N05/
milwman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 03:23 AM   #39
Soo 6060
EMD > GE

Sounds the best.

Quote:
Originally Posted by milwman View Post
Soo 6060 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 06:57 AM   #40
mark woody

The first two at night with the torch give the impression of trespassers. First they didn't check oil and water levels or call out that the unit would be starting, no cab lights on and only revved the EMD then shut it down. My 0.02.
mark woody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 07:33 PM   #41
troy12n

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark woody View Post
The first two at night with the torch give the impression of trespassers. First they didn't check oil and water levels or call out that the unit would be starting, no cab lights on and only revved the EMD then shut it down. My 0.02.
Doubtful. Especially the second one where you could hear the guy had a radio on. I also have not seen too many times where they actually yell that they are going to start it. Some units when you prime the fuel pump there is an audible bell/buzzer that rings. One thing I was kind of surprised they didnt do is open the cylinder cocks to vent the cylinders first. If a unit has been sitting for a while, they are supposed to do that to vent any water which may have entered the cylinder to prevent hydro lock. A bent crankrod on one of those would be a costly replacement, not to mention the other damage it could cause.

Last edited by troy12n; 06-13-2011 at 07:36 PM.
troy12n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 01:58 AM   #42
xBNSFer

Default Resurrectin of the dead here I guess, but...

Couldn't resist chiming in on this latest railroad-themed movie. I've watched it several times (or parts of it several times) since it came out on cable.

Some of my issues with the film are discussed here (and in the linked article), in particular the ridiculous attempt to land someone on the runaway from a helicopter when he could have stepped aboard (OK, maybe hopped aboard) from the light engines they put in front of it - game over. In fact, their story should have conjured up some reason why they couldn't do that (i.e., put engines in front of it) in the first place - like the nearest power being too far to reach it before it reached the "curve" or something, making the chase down from behind the only choice. I also agree that the up-to-the-second and microscopically detailed "news" coverage to be completely unbelievable - and it was of course utter nonsense.

Interesting to read about the details of how the actual "inspiring" story came to occur, since I wasn't aware of the details of that incident. They should have stuck to reality there, it was far more plausible - the "had to put the engine in Run-8" to move it with 39 cars in the yard with two road engines is ridiculous - you wouldn't do that even on the main line, and wouldn't NEED to do it, either - and if you did, you'd just break a knuckle and have runaway units without a train. (And YES, this applies even to "slow loading" GEs, and I know from experience, having been the conductor replacing the broken knuckle!) Furthermore, HOSTLERS would not be moving ANY "cars," by definition they are permitted to move ONLY light engines, so no research done on the job responsibilities done there, LOL.

I though they did some things well, like show some of the "old head vs. new guy" tension that sometimes occurs, but there were far more things they went over the cliff with realism-wise, and not just little things like inflated horsepower ratings.

The "forced" retirement of unionized workers?! I had to LOL to that BS - the RR would die trying LOL. Those Old Heads hang on to their "number 1" jobs for as long as they can drag themselves out of bed. The RR can offer "packages," but wholesale forced retirements? No way that would be happening.

The blasting through the rear of the train scene looks inspired by Runaway Train to me, and was just as unrealistic. The idea that a train is going to collide with another, at speed, and not derail itself, is highly unlikely.

Another stupidity inserted to provide more manufactured "drama" was the legion of police vehicles parked right next to the tracks at the sight where they attempt to use the "portable derail." If the thing worked, the entire police force would have to go home on foot, LOL but I guess it made for good props for the "shrapnel" from the derail when the train blasts through it.

Can't back up on the main?! LOL how did the frikken cars get in there in the first place?! They should have been backing up to drop the cars they weren't taking, as soon as they realized it.

How is it that the train doesn't fit into a controlled siding, but manages to fit into a RIP track, which would generally hold just a few of cars at best?! Oh, and how many RIP tracks are remotely thrown by the dispatcher, not to mention have switches at both ends?! LOL They could have simply made it a longer siding that they could fit in, and avoided the BS factor.

All the mock concern about the SD40 going in "reverse" like it meant anything was pretty funny. Locomotives run just as fast in either direction, they don't all face forward when MU'ed to operate main line trains. lol.

Pin didn't drop? Manipulate the throttle and get it to drop, don't try stomping it into place with your foot while the slack is stretched, lol - Denzel's "experienced" hogger should have known better!

Tony Scott's "choppy" direction has become something of a schtick for him, also used in the "Taking of Pelham 1-2-3" (not nearly as good as the original, BTW).

All in all, an entertaining movie, but only after you leave all knowledge of railroads, railroading, and of course common sense at the door!
xBNSFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 02:32 PM   #43
xBNSFer

Default One more thing...

The whopper of whoppers - Once the SD40-2 our heroes are using "loses its brakes," there wouldn't BE any "independent" brake for them to use - that's exactly what they "lost." LMAO
xBNSFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 06:42 PM   #44
JimThias

I thought the movie was entertaining and I don't really care about all the railfan-geek inconsistencies (which I didn't even notice for the most part), but what DID bother me was the train tipping to one side off the rail on the curve. Come the hell on, they could have done without that silliness and still had as much drama.
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 02:06 AM   #45
Mgoldman

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimThias View Post
I thought the movie was entertaining and I don't really care about all the railfan-geek inconsistencies (which I didn't even notice for the most part), but what DID bother me was the train tipping to one side off the rail on the curve. Come the hell on, they could have done without that silliness and still had as much drama.
It figures, you of all people would have an issue with the level-ness of the train, lol!

/Mitch
Mgoldman is offline   Reply With Quote