Old 05-18-2008, 01:42 AM   #1
Joe

Send a message via AIM to Joe
Cool MILW 261 - Rejected!

So I was down in Chicago yesterday to see the 261 while it is waiting for its big screen debut in Chicago. And, as always, nothing can please an RP screener.

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...&key=511815044
Didn't really have much hope for this one, since the train was facing north it was backlit all day and I was unable to get the old-timey photo effect just right anyway. I thought it was pretty cool though.

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...&key=882082825
This rejection made no sense, this can't be that bad an angle if there are multiple examples already on the site. If you mean "similar to previous photo" say so!
Image © Thomas J. Nanos - www.nanosphoto.com
PhotoID: 196579
Photograph © Thomas J. Nanos - www.nanosphoto.com

Image © WalterS
PhotoID: 190530
Photograph © WalterS

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...d=524561&key=0
Another bad angle, plus backlit. I understand this one, obviously it was my fault for not arriving there at 7AM to get the wheels perfectly exposed. God forbid the wheels might be a little darker than they already are.

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...&key=730956508
Woo, bad motive! But the screeners knew these photographers had better motives when they took their photos:
Image © Dan Morris
PhotoID: 208669
Photograph © Dan Morris

Image © Brophy
PhotoID: 207577
Photograph © Brophy

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...d=524568&key=0
And this one, which has a shady pilot area! Oh no, the photo is completely ruined!

So yeah, any comments welcome. I just thought this particular batch of rejections was pretty funny.
And don't tell me what to do better next time, cuz guess what, the 261 ain't coming back to Chicago for at least 2 years. I can't just go back and try these again!

Click Here to view my photos at RailPictures.Net!
Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 01:57 AM   #2
SamD

I'd appeal the second and last photos. The second one looks like a very good to me, so maybe a second set of eyes will agree. The last one doesn't look like high sun, based on the long shadows basically every tall object in the frame is making, and I would mention as much in the appeal.

As for the others, the first is just way too over-processed for Railpictures, the third is kind of ho hum angle wise, and the firemen shot just isn't as well composed as the others you linked (maybe if it were a little wider??).

Still, these are some awesome MILW 261 shots. Do you work for the railroad, or do you have some other connection that got you this awesome access?
SamD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 02:13 AM   #3
Christopher Muller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe
And this one, which has a shady pilot area! Oh no, the photo is completely ruined!

So yeah, any comments welcome. I just thought this particular batch of rejections was pretty funny.
And don't tell me what to do better next time, cuz guess what, the 261 ain't coming back to Chicago for at least 2 years. I can't just go back and try these again!

This photo is not high sun. The shadows cast by the grab irons are very minimal. There are some softness and processing issues though.
Christopher Muller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 02:18 AM   #4
milwman
I shoot what I like

Send a message via Yahoo to milwman

Who knows who the screener is or what there thinking, some will nail some others wont. Looks like there getting a lot of shots, screening tight don't feel bad. what bugs me is some of roles kill good shots the way i see it. Old school thinking. I don't like the High sun for this shot, sun is fine and not harsh yet. High sun is the shadow right under the coupler . my opinion, others may vary LOL

http://www.flickr.com/photos/22299476@N05/

Last edited by milwman; 05-18-2008 at 02:31 AM.
milwman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 02:20 AM   #5
JRMDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe
So I was down in Chicago yesterday to see the 261 while it is waiting for its big screen debut in Chicago. And, as always, nothing can please an RP screener.
Except 454 of your own shots!

First one - it is pretty cool, sort of a "high key" style, of course not RP material.

Second - the focus on the window is not as interesting as the focus on the engineer and the view into the cab in the other one; the reflections in the window are distracting. I'll agree with the screener. (PS, love the Nanos shot!)

Third - plenty of shots of the 261 in RP, you need a more interesting angle and better lighting. Just the way it is, no point in frustration. It's not a bad shot - of course, you know that - but it's merely OK and I can see it being kicked out.

Fourth - I'll agree with you, about equal to the other two. But there are some really nice firebox shots on RP, a step up from these three; sadly, I'm not in the mood to hunt them down before bed time.

Fifth - harsh mid-day light which is one of the results of high sun, regardless of the lighting of any part of the train or track. I don't think it is so bad, but with that tower growing out of the top of the engine and the fact that this is not the 261 and you can go back and do the shot again anytime, I'm OK with it being rejected.

[EDIT: oops, Christopher is right, this is another of those nose-on shots which get mis-classified as high sun because there isn't a better category. Still, it looks like the light is somewhat harsh - as I said before, not so bad - and it should be retaken for the tower problem anyway.]

I don't see anything here "pretty funny," just the usual disagreements with RP screener standards. No notable screener errors in this batch, in my view.

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 02:36 AM   #6
Mgoldman

I'm with Sam - if I wrote anything before Sam, it would say the same thing nearly word for word.

The photo with 261 and the Sears Tower is unique enough I would appeal on that basis. Perspective is a bit odd but unique. The last one, even if it was high sun, it's a nice shot. If a high sun shot works, it should be accepted - imagine a database without a single photo taken between 11 and 2! It may need some tweeking in the processing but as good as others in RP.

Next note: You'll find yourself in better spirits if you don't compare your photos, or atleast your rejects to others in the database. Somethings have gotten in that shouldn't have. Some screeners have more tolerance then others. Main point - keep your own standards high.

/Mitch
Mgoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 02:50 AM   #7
Mike B.
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe
...then leave Chicago.
Mike B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 11:43 AM   #8
Joe the Photog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe
And, as always, nothing can please an RP screener.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRMDC
Except 454 of your own shots!
And 359 shots of the 261. That's provided no one else got shots of this engine in the database mislabeled. Trust me, I know it;s aggrivating and irritating to get reject after reject. I'm on a 1 for 19 streak right now. One accepted, 18 rejected.

It happens.

Joe
Old 05-18-2008, 05:21 PM   #9
a231pacific

Sam and Mitch have said it pretty well already, but in the interest of "piling on" here goes.

Shot #1 is sort of cool, but with the noise in the sky it won't make it on RP.

Shot #2 isn't as interesting as the ones you compare it to. In those the engine is moving and there is some reason to be looking forward from the cab. In your shot you have guys working on the engine and reflections of a car in the closed cab window, so there isn't really any reason for someone being in the cab. The viewer doesn't really relate to the photo for that reason.

Shot #3 isn't bad, but RP doesn't like backlight or shadows on the running gear! It's also sort of unbalanced with the dark mass of the engine on the left.

Shot #4, I'm OK with it, but try a wider crop if you've got one. Maybe get the fireman into the rule of thirds spot, like the second shot you referenced.

Shot #5, high sun seems to be used to reject shots that have 90 degree side light. Looking at the shadows cast on the platform, the sun is at less than45 degrees. The only thing I don't like about this shot is the antenna tower growing straight out of the cab roof. Next time squat down and ditch the tower! Otherwise I think it's fine.

Michael Allen
a231pacific is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 07:30 PM   #10
SamD

Quote:
Originally Posted by a231pacific
high sun seems to be used to reject shots that have 90 degree side light.
Really? I thought it was backlighting.

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...&key=374720711
SamD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 01:57 PM   #11
WKUrailfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe
hahaha, thats hilarious.

...learn from your mistakes from these pictures of 261, and the next time a steam engine comes to Chicago, you'll have better results.
WKUrailfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 02:26 PM   #12
JRMDC

While Joe does have 300+ posts, this is his first one since July 2005! Appears to be a hit and run; doesn't appear to be coming back. We all wasted our time trying to be informative.

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 04:05 AM   #13
JBCagle7073
Alpha Phi Psi

Send a message via AIM to JBCagle7073

Even though it looks like a hit and run I'll have to throw in a comment. Always remember that they are looking for the best possible shot that can be had. Not the best shot at the time you were there, but the best shot all around. Sometimes screeners might not be feeling something, but that does not mean that you can't work them up more and resubmit later. I have found that taking a step back for a while sometimes helps when you wonder why a picture doesn't make it.
Old 05-21-2008, 02:55 AM   #14
Joe

Send a message via AIM to Joe

Hmmm, what? I'm still here. I just was completely booked this weekend. Saturday was Franklin Park RR Daze, then Sunday I went back down to Chicago and shot the 261 again in the morning and then while they were filming inside CUS. Most of the ones inside Union Station are blocked by pilllars since they wouldn't let anyone on the platform they were shooting from and they had "old" passenger cars on either side to block the view of Amtrak and Metra trains. As soon as I have a free moment or two, I'll post the ones from Sunday, which are better, but I didn't go in the cab so I was unable to redo any of those.

Click Here to view my photos at RailPictures.Net!
Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 12:58 PM   #15
KevinM

Joe shoots......and SCORRRRRRRES!!!!!!

Image © Joe LeMay
PhotoID: 236367
Photograph © Joe LeMay

Congrats on Screener's Choice!!!!

My RP stuff is here.

Link to my Flickr Albums. Lots of Steam Railroad stuff there from all over the US.
KevinM is online now   Reply With Quote