Old 10-10-2010, 08:46 PM   #1
Greg P

Send a message via AIM to Greg P
Default Ahh! Got run out of my first place

For the first time today, I got run off of a spot.

I've been interested in the spot where the CSX Main crosses Hollins Ferry Rd. There is a nice backdrop of Baltimore city.

Theres also a business there, I think it's CWS or something. It looks like a shipping company or something.

So the first time I went there last week I saw the guy washing his car, and he was looking at me. I didn't get any trains though.

So today I came back for a train and I waited about a half hour, nothing on ATCS so I changed spots. The second time I came back and this guy came down and started asking me a bunch of questions and this other girl was on the phone so I just decided it would be best to leave, even though I was on a public street.

I know Winans isn't the safest place but I want to get a picture with that background.

I think I"m going to look up that business and send them a letter explaining my hobby. I don't owe it or anything, I was on the public street and they can't say anything about it, but I'll be nice.

Incidently, I am beginning to wonder (and hope) I didn't stumble on something illegal lol.

Last edited by Greg P; 10-10-2010 at 09:02 PM.
Greg P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 01:42 AM   #2
trainboysd40

Send a message via MSN to trainboysd40

Doesn't take much to send you off, does it?
Obligatory link to shots on RP, HERE
trainboysd40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 01:47 AM   #3
Doug Wolfe

If you are on a public street you don't owe an explanation to anyone. And who cares who they call? If they ask you might just be polite and state what you are doing.

I wouldn't send them a letter either. You don't owe them anything.
Doug Wolfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 01:51 AM   #4
Greg P

Quote:
Originally Posted by trainboysd40 View Post
Doesn't take much to send you off, does it?
If you mean on a tyraide, nope, if you mean from a location nope either lol. Its my relaxation time sitting in my car watching tv waiting for the trains to come, I like not to have to deal with anything so I just try to defuse the situation by leaving.
Old 10-11-2010, 01:56 AM   #5
Greg P

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Wolfe View Post
If you are on a public street you don't owe an explanation to anyone. And who cares who they call? If they ask you might just be polite and state what you are doing.

I wouldn't send them a letter either. You don't owe them anything.
I did tell him I was waiting for a train to take pictures but there was something about the tone of his voice.
Old 10-11-2010, 02:28 AM   #6
Joe the Photog

My take is that it makes you look suspicious by leaving like you did. If you go back and someone comes up to you, be very polite, but don't leave and if they don't leave you alone, ask them if it would make them feel better if you called the police.
Old 10-11-2010, 02:30 AM   #7
Freericks
Met Fan

Two things --

1) In the words of Gavin DeBecker, "Trust your fear."

2) Time changes everything.

Look, I'm a great believer in standing your ground and protecting your rights, but if your Spidey senses are telling you that something is wrong... be smart and get out of there. If you want, you can try again... the guy may not be there... if they are doing nothing illegal, frankly, you probably are fine and can take your pics. If they really are doing something illegal, they could give a damn about your rights.
Freericks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 04:19 AM   #8
troy12n
Banned

What part of Baltimore were you in? Most of the rail lines run through absolute ghetto
troy12n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 02:40 PM   #9
Greg P

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
My take is that it makes you look suspicious by leaving like you did. If you go back and someone comes up to you, be very polite, but don't leave and if they don't leave you alone, ask them if it would make them feel better if you called the police.
Thats probally good advice. I think I probally did leave too soon, just as a way to difuse the situation. This is my first time being confronted so I will learn from it.

Quote:
Two things --

1) In the words of Gavin DeBecker, "Trust your fear."

2) Time changes everything.

Look, I'm a great believer in standing your ground and protecting your rights, but if your Spidey senses are telling you that something is wrong... be smart and get out of there. If you want, you can try again... the guy may not be there... if they are doing nothing illegal, frankly, you probably are fine and can take your pics. If they really are doing something illegal, they could give a damn about your rights.
What I found suspecious was they were loading machinery into a truck marked "Joe's Fruit." Something about it just looked funny. But I am the paranoid type.

Quote:
What part of Baltimore were you in? Most of the rail lines run through absolute ghetto
Welcome to my delimna. I'm trying to get a concealed handgun license from the MSP by stating that I am a photographer and need to protect my equipment.

The location of the shoot was: 39.264847,-76.644096 (2301 Hollins Ferry Rd)

The location of my staging area was: 39.265387,-76.644139 (2317 Seventh St)
Old 10-11-2010, 04:38 PM   #10
Andrew Blaszczyk (2)

Send a message via AIM to Andrew Blaszczyk (2) Send a message via Yahoo to Andrew Blaszczyk (2)

After 'walking' around the area on Google Street View, the location looks to be okay (basketball court is in nice shape [probably new] and the buildings aren't boarded up). I am wondering where you are parked while waiting though. I'm sure you can park by the court and walk to the crossing with no problems. Also remember that people are also suspicious of you and want to keep neighborhoods safe especially if there have been past problems.

Curious question: have you ever explored shooting off the South Monroe St. bridge? I know there's a chain link fence but if you shoot wide and crop it can work through some fences. The elevation would definitely help shooting the skyline.

"My camera is an artistic medium, not a tool of terrorism."

www.ab2photography.com Coming soon!
My photos on RailPictures:
http://www.railpictures.net/showphotos.php?userid=960
Andrew Blaszczyk (2) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 05:19 PM   #11
Joe the Photog

Take a basketball next time and shoot hoops while you wait. That's one thing I like to do. I just bought an 18 speed bike, too so I can start biking and shooting. This will work at a few of the parks in my area (instead of walking) and maybe in a few small towns while a shortline switches out. Since I have kids, we love parks with jungle gyms for them and basketball courts for me.
Old 10-11-2010, 05:33 PM   #12
Greg P

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Blaszczyk (2) View Post
After 'walking' around the area on Google Street View, the location looks to be okay (basketball court is in nice shape [probably new] and the buildings aren't boarded up). I am wondering where you are parked while waiting though. I'm sure you can park by the court and walk to the crossing with no problems. Also remember that people are also suspicious of you and want to keep neighborhoods safe especially if there have been past problems.

Curious question: have you ever explored shooting off the South Monroe St. bridge? I know there's a chain link fence but if you shoot wide and crop it can work through some fences. The elevation would definitely help shooting the skyline.
No I haven't I will check that out. Thanks I"m always looking for new spots.

The basketball court isn't bad, but I have seen some shady people there.

If you put "39.265387,-76.644139" into google maps, and then you'll see two silver cars parked on the left side of the street, thats were I park. Hollins Ferry is no stopping any time in that area.

I know the area has its share of issues, and I understand them being suspecious, which is why I wanted to reach out to them and explain what I"m doing and what railfanning is and how railfans actually improve neighborhood security rather than hurt it.
Old 10-11-2010, 05:35 PM   #13
Greg P

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
Take a basketball next time and shoot hoops while you wait. That's one thing I like to do. I just bought an 18 speed bike, too so I can start biking and shooting. This will work at a few of the parks in my area (instead of walking) and maybe in a few small towns while a shortline switches out. Since I have kids, we love parks with jungle gyms for them and basketball courts for me.
I've thought about the bike for here "39.246562,-76.664658" but the sun isn't always on that side of the tracks.

Theres some nice hiking along the Hanover sub I'd love to do in Gwynn Falls park, but the unpredictability of the Hannover sub (and no ATCS) makes me rethink that.