Old 04-04-2013, 09:52 PM   #1
e-unit

Default Two SW shots.

Poor cropping:
http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...90&key=2727585

Too much building? Also before someone mentions the fence, its impossible to not have one in the shot at these mills without tresspassing.

Also Uneven horizon:
http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...47&key=8089296
e-unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 10:24 PM   #2
RAILROADFANdotCOM

Send a message via AIM to RAILROADFANdotCOM

I'll mention the fence anyway, it's foreground clutter. Not too much building, but not enough. It's just an awkward angle as it is. The sun also being far to your left isn't helping much.

2nd photo isn't lit well, as well as bad cropping as the train is cut off by the frame after the 3rd car.
Old 04-04-2013, 10:36 PM   #3
JRMDC

I've got no problem with the fence, at this distance the chain links have barely any effect and one can see the equipment clearly.

But the shot is 1200x677 in pixel dimension. That is considerably wider than even the 5:3 that tends to be the limit on RP (3:2 is preferred but they do take wider). So find a way to make the shot taller or narrower. 5:3 is 1200x720 and 3:2 is 1200x800.

Second shot, looking at it with absurd zoom, the verticals in the cab are just about vertical, I can't see it needing even as much as 0.5 degrees of clockwise rotation, but I think that will make it look a lot better in RP's eyes.

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots

Last edited by JRMDC; 04-04-2013 at 10:40 PM.
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 12:32 AM   #4
cblaz

For the first shot, I agree with J. The fence is not a problem at all at this distance. The issue, and the reason you got bad cropping, is not the building, but the way you cropped the left side of the photo.The engine is too close to the edge of the frame, and I want to see what's behind it. I would cut some off the right (between the two open doors of the building) and add as much as you can on the left to show more of the trains.

- Chris
Old 04-05-2013, 01:32 AM   #5
Joe the Photog

Quote:
Originally Posted by e-unit View Post
Poor cropping:
http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...90&key=2727585

Too much building?
Not enough building. I'd like to see more of the scene. Also, that SW1200 is actually a SW1001.
Quote:
Also before someone mentions the fence, its impossible to not have one in the shot at these mills without tresspassing.
I can't tell from this shot, but can you get up to the fence and shoot through it? Can't tell if there are tracks on both sides of the fence or not. But it does look like there are other angles to be had at this plant.
Old 04-05-2013, 03:42 AM   #6
nikos1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
Not enough building. I'd like to see more of the scene. Also, that SW1200 is actually a SW1001.

I can't tell from this shot, but can you get up to the fence and shoot through it? Can't tell if there are tracks on both sides of the fence or not. But it does look like there are other angles to be had at this plant.
So he could get a roster shot through the fence? Also seeing how paranoid steel mills are about security, probably a really bad idea.....

Wedge shots of blue HLCX SD60's http://www.railpictures.net/showphotos.php?userid=7861

More wedge shots of blue HLCX SD60's http://nikos1.rrpicturearchives.net/

Video wedge shots of blue HLCX SD60's
http://youtube.com/profile?user=nikosjk1
nikos1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 04:47 AM   #7
JimThias

I agree with Zack, that fence sucks. But I'm only saying that because I've been there a few times and it's a royal pain in the ass to get a good shot of those units. Everywhere you look there is crap in the way. And there is no getting close without trespassing.
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 12:28 PM   #8
Joe the Photog

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikos1 View Post
So he could get a roster shot through the fence? Also seeing how paranoid steel mills are about security, probably a really bad idea.....
He might can get a closer shot, not a roster shot. I've never been there, so I can't say. But this shot from here has some obvious limitations. Also, if he's on public property (or property he has a right to be on) he can go right up to any fence, steel mill paranoia or not.
Old 04-05-2013, 02:12 PM   #9
JimThias

Very limited access there, Joe. There are guards on duty at the entrances, so I'm sure there are eyes watching somewhere.
Old 04-05-2013, 03:39 PM   #10
Chris Z

Send a message via Skype™ to Chris Z

It is pretty tight there. But there is also an overpass to the right where it might be good for a morning shot. I've seen a shot like that on RP somewhere.

From the side, this is about the only clear shot I was able to get. The fence is a problem.

Chris Z
Chris Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 09:58 PM   #11
JimThias

Chris, are you talking about the (closed) pedestrian bridge next to the Inland Steel overpass just off of Cline (912)? I've been on that ped bridge a few times and from that vantage point, you have to battle with tons of powerlines.

This is about the best I've been able to do without a bunch of crap in the way:

And the on the southeast side of the overpass:

Name:  steelmill1.jpg
Views: 148
Size:  282.7 KB

Last edited by JimThias; 04-05-2013 at 10:03 PM.
Old 04-06-2013, 03:14 AM   #12
Chris Z

Send a message via Skype™ to Chris Z

Looking through the data base, I found these.

Image © Chicago Super Chief
PhotoID: 327284
Photograph © Chicago Super Chief

Image © Mike Mautner
PhotoID: 225806
Photograph © Mike Mautner

Image © Steven Mckay
PhotoID: 401842
Photograph © Steven Mckay

Chris Z
Chris Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 06:29 AM   #13
e-unit

The bridge is now off limits. I was up there during the fall for about 10 minutes and I got my licence plate taken down and told If I was seen up there again she would not hesitate to call the cops. I'm not sure if the guard was merely having a bad day or if its how it goes now.

As far as the overall location goes, its one of the best spots to go if your into grungy industrial backdrops. As Jim said, you have to fight with power lines and other obstacles. I have some good shots from out there right after they got their GP15-1s.

Here are some shots to show the immensity of the area. Once you get past the mills you have a few miles worth of oil refinery.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC00345.JPG (452.2 KB, 98 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2479.JPG (252.5 KB, 93 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2470.JPG (155.5 KB, 90 views)

Last edited by e-unit; 04-06-2013 at 06:44 AM.
Old 04-06-2013, 12:27 PM   #14
JimThias

Quote:
The bridge is now off limits. I was up there during the fall for about 10 minutes and I got my licence plate taken down and told If I was seen up there again she would not hesitate to call the cops. I'm not sure if the guard was merely having a bad day or if its how it goes now.

As far as the overall location goes, its one of the best spots to go if your into grungy industrial backdrops. As Jim said, you have to fight with power lines and other obstacles.
Damn bridge nazis! That's a great spot to sit and watch the action. I've been up there four different times (the last time two years ago), but it doesn't sound like I'll be risking it any more. That pedestrian bridge has been closed for years, so it isn't nor wasn't open to the public anyway. Oh well.
Old 04-06-2013, 02:50 PM   #15
Joe the Photog

Quote:
By whom? Is it posted as off limits? Whose property is it on?
Old 04-06-2013, 04:06 PM   #16
JimThias

Quote:
Joe, the walkway is a pedestrian bridge that as far as I can tell was used by steel mill employees decades ago. It honestly looks like something that was built half a century ago. You pretty much have to trespass to get to it and in reality is probably not very safe to walk on. I'm sure it was condemned by the city long ago.

You can see it in the satellite image I posted above.
Old 04-06-2013, 04:06 PM   #17
e-unit

Quote:
AcelorMittal has 2 or 3 employee only signs before you get to the pedestrian bridge. They either enforce it...or not lol. Ive been up on it for hours before. The other lot next to the NYC signal bridge is marked open parking, but after office hours they are liable to ask you to leave from there as well. There's been others that have tried to make the signs "blow away in a wind storm", but there's one huge one on the high tension lines still I think. Both times it was a lady in her early/mid thirties in fire dept related clothing. I've seen her in a white escape and a white pickup with antennas rolling around.

I uploaded another shot from that area last night and it got accepted. Not not notch, but noones posted the 15-1s before I believe.

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphot...=431230&nseq=0