Old 08-04-2014, 04:13 PM   #1
willig

Default TTTT (Train on a Truck Too Tight)

If I widened this out, all you would see is more car park. I would have thought that the central subject was interesting enough without cluttering it with unimportant distractions.

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...42&key=9359022
willig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 04:34 PM   #2
CSX1702

"Too tight" is not necessarily about showing more. Take it as the composition looks awkward. In this case I think it does need to be loosened a bit.

Flickr

Out Of Place Album
CSX1702 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 10:24 PM   #3
B7BBQ

It could use a bit of a looser crop, I think specifically on the left side.
Old 08-06-2014, 03:23 AM   #4
Mgoldman

It is a bit tight - but who cares?!

It's a news shot - no one is going to call you and ask for a framed copy - except maybe the mover, anyway.

I'd suggest - simply - submit a wider and looser shot - if you have it. If not, next time, step back or return with a wider lens. In the meantime - you could (in the old days) appeal and say - "This is as good as it gets - maybe the uniqueness of the event trumps the composition?". 'Course, now, I think appeals are done by computers - it's either a "0" or a "1", there seems to be no in-between anymore. I think if you had a photo of a long gone NYC streamlined Hudson in a barn but a fence was in front of it, it would likely get rejected, even on appeal.

Here are two last thoughts - if you're optimistic:

1) Go more panoramic so the train won't be so high in the frame (tight all around, instead of just only on the top or left.

2) Add some "extra" sky and re-submit with the subject lower in the frame. 'Course, you loose the effect you did so well capturing - that of the transition from street to ramp.

Nice shot - interesting story being attempted to share. The kind of stuff I enjoy seeing in the database, along with some of the best photos on the net.

/Mitch
Mgoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 11:10 PM   #5
willig

I do have some slightly wider shots, but I think I now get the problem.

The screeners just don't like the subject.
http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...23&key=7840975

I am tempted to muse whether a similar shot would have been accepted if the subject was in N. America. ............No, surely not.........
Old 08-06-2014, 11:27 PM   #6
troy12n
Banned

This type of shot is in the "derailment/crash" category, sorry
troy12n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 12:04 AM   #7
miningcamper1

Quote:
Originally Posted by willig View Post

I am tempted to muse whether a similar shot would have been accepted if the subject was in N. America. ............No, surely not.........
Oh, yeah!
Every time that UP Big Boy moved 6 inches in that parking lot, we were treated to a torrent of uploads.
miningcamper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 04:46 AM   #8
CSX1702

Quote:
Originally Posted by miningcamper1 View Post
Oh, yeah!
Every time that UP Big Boy moved 6 inches in that parking lot, we were treated to a torrent of uploads.
This.

That is an interesting shot. No reason for a PAQ.

Flickr

Out Of Place Album
CSX1702 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 08:13 AM   #9
Mgoldman

Quote:
Originally Posted by willig View Post
I do have some slightly wider shots, but I think I now get the problem.

The screeners just don't like the subject.
http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...23&key=7840975

Yes.

Image © Andrew Blaszczyk (2)
PhotoID: 361646
Photograph © Andrew Blaszczyk (2)

But I think it was more about luck then whether it was an American subject. Your shot could very well have been accepted on another day, another time, another roll of the dice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by troy12n View Post
This type of shot is in the "derailment/crash" category, sorry
And what's your point?

I'll bet a large percentage of viewers come to RP for more then just what's left of the BEST railroad photos on the net. News is big on RP - even if the news in this case might be of more interest to those abroad.

/Mitch
Old 08-07-2014, 04:38 PM   #10
jnohallman

Graham, going back to the original rejection I think you just need to add a tad more on the left and you'd be fine. If you widen it enough to show the front of the SUV that is cut off on the left, the shot will be more balanced. As far as the question about North American vs. European locomotives in such a case, the image Mitch put up for comparison is very different than the one you asked the question about, so I don't think it really answers the question. Do you happen to have a standard 3/4 wedge of the engine on the trailer?

Jon

Click here to see my photos on RP.net!

Do not, under any circumstances whatsoever, click here. Don't even think about it. I'm warning you!
jnohallman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 09:33 PM   #11
willig

OK. I've submitted a wider shot of the original. So, we'll wait and see.
Old 08-10-2014, 02:48 AM   #12
jnohallman

Well, it's a slightly different angle, but I'm glad to see you got a picture of it on!

Image © Graham Williams
PhotoID: 493154
Photograph © Graham Williams

Jon

Click here to see my photos on RP.net!

Do not, under any circumstances whatsoever, click here. Don't even think about it. I'm warning you!
jnohallman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 10:00 PM   #13
willig

Fourth top of 24 hours.
Old 08-11-2014, 08:41 PM   #14
MagnumForce

So you should have just let it breathe like most of us said in the first place

It's not a conspiracy theory against foreign stuff or anything else.
Old 08-12-2014, 01:12 AM   #15
Mgoldman

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnumForce View Post
So you should have just let it breathe like most of us said in the first place

It's not a conspiracy theory against foreign stuff or anything else.
It's every bit as tight as Andrew's shot.

I like the second composition better but I don't see why some patrons get the extra scrutiny. Or, let me clarify that - I don't see why some photos get the extra scrutiny - all one has to do is browse the forums to see that the screening scrutiny is sporadic and not limited to foreign subjects nor newbies.

/Mitch
Old 08-14-2014, 10:41 AM   #16
MagnumForce

You see conspiracy theory when there is none.

The accepted image is far more pleasing than the original. Want to post to rp? You gotta play the game.

Let it breathe they said, so let it breathe.
Old 08-15-2014, 01:06 AM   #17
Mgoldman

Quote:
You see conspiracy theory when there is none.

The accepted image is far more pleasing than the original. Want to post to rp? You gotta play the game.

Let it breathe they said, so let it breathe.
I agree - the second image IS much more appealing. But what if there were no second image? 95% of what is on RP could be better then it is in some form or fashion. We are fortunate in this case there was a alternate frame.

/Mitch
Old 08-15-2014, 11:00 PM   #18
MagnumForce

But MItch, you want it both ways. I just don't get it. You say people should get a free pass and in the next breath say RP lets too much stuff on.

If you want to play the game that is just the way it is but I think Ron put things perfectly in another thread. RP is like raising your hand to go to the bathroom, we are adults, no need to ask when there is so much out there that is so much better.

It would behoove you to get a flickr account and figure out how to use it so you can be blown away with the sheer quantity of epic awesomness there. Go on flickr, go to the profile of someone who is awesome. Click on who is following them, start clicking through them, follow and enjoy.
Old 08-16-2014, 02:05 AM   #19
Mgoldman

Quote:
But MItch, you want it both ways. I just don't get it. You say people should get a free pass and in the next breath say RP lets too much stuff on.
I want it both ways? When have I ever said people should get a free pass? For that matter, when have I ever said RP lets too much stuff on. Do you have me confused with someone who is completely opposite?

RP is as good as it is because there is no free pass. I've always applauded the fact that RP is screened. And I've applauded the fact that an appeal process was set up. What I do not applaud is the randomness of what is and is not acceptable from day to day and the intolerance at times to issues of little to no consequence, ie; 0.00005% unlevel in a direction that no one can determine, or an image that is rejected, despite intelligent and insightful comments to the screener where a composition trumps it's shortcomings (in order to not cut off an element in a scene, or a scene otherwise impossible to capture, for instance).

Too much? I've repeatedly stated the opposite. "How can you have the best if you only accept the first". I've stated over and over again - one of the best aspects of RP is it's function as a database. "The more the merrier", I've said. "It's a database (also)." "If you don't like an image, don't open it - scroll past it."

Quote:
It would behoove you to get a flickr account and figure out how to use it so you can be blown away with the sheer quantity of epic awesomness there. Go on flickr, go to the profile of someone who is awesome. Click on who is following them, start clicking through them, follow and enjoy.
My FLICKR account:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/87195227@N05/

I've been steadily adding former RP'rs and new friends on my FLICKR follow list.

Maybe I should put more time into it - seems to get rave reviews on RP, but I do miss the DATABASE function and easy search
features of RP. On FLICKR, searches pull up all kinds of trash. I like RP also for the captions and details - I think I'd be in the
minority taking the time to do input that on FLICKR. Flicker is for pictures. RP is a database with many great pictures.

On the other hand, FLICKR is a great place to follow PHOTOGRAPHERS and to a lesser extent, themes.

/Mitch

Last edited by Mgoldman; 08-16-2014 at 02:08 AM.
Old 08-16-2014, 02:23 AM   #20
MagnumForce

Once you build people you follow you click "search friends only" that get's rid of all the crap and leaves only the stuff you do want.

And I know you have long been an advocate of giving those you think deserve it a free pass to upload their vision here.
Old 08-16-2014, 03:41 AM   #21
Mgoldman

Quote:
Once you build people you follow you click "search friends only" that get's rid of all the crap and leaves only the stuff you do want.
But then I might never discover new (and older) photographers. RP is good that way - I can scroll very quickly through thumbs (even if at a page at a time) and spot what I like much quicker on RP then anywhere else - (especially now, with seemingly so few of my favorite photographers still bothering to post ) Hoping that things change, one day. I also like to compare images from one location or one subject among all photographers - something I can do on RP, assuming there are enough photographers still making it worth my while.

Quote:
And I know you have long been an advocate of giving those you think deserve it a free pass to upload their vision here.
Not me. I think Ron hinted at it a few times. My only stated desire was that AFTER a photo has been screened, that the appeal process allow a little more slack for established and well received, perhaps "tenured" RP patrons in regards not to technical issues, but discretionary issues, like composition and subject. This as well as an overall easing on the screening process in regards the the minutia that so frustrates it's potential and current patrons.

/Mitch
Old 08-17-2014, 01:53 AM   #22
miningcamper1

[quote=Mgoldman;181177]My only stated desire was that AFTER a photo has been screened, that the appeal process allow a little more slack for established and well received, perhaps "tenured" RP patrons in regards not to technical issues, but discretionary issues, like composition and subject. This as well as an overall easing on the screening process in regards the the minutia that so frustrates it's potential and current patrons.QUOTE]

All it takes for the authorities to ease up on nitpicking minutia is the will to stop nitpicking minutia. They haven't. Not since the last flurry of dispatches from the bunker. Why on earth would anyone think that anything will change?
Old 08-17-2014, 03:18 AM   #23
MagnumForce

RP is what it is and they are sucessful in spite of it. Their model may be slightly flawed at times but it surely is not broken.

If you want to play the game, play by the rules. Or you can just go to a different league where the rules are different and there are epic Photostreams like this. https://www.flickr.com/photos/547714...th/8669492543/
Old 08-17-2014, 06:00 AM   #24
miningcamper1

Quote:
RP is what it is and they are sucessful in spite of it. Their model may be slightly flawed at times but it surely is not broken.
The glass is half full...or the glass is half empty.

Quote:
Lots of eye candy there (a worthy new bookmark!), but really, not cropping out the slide mounts???
Old 08-17-2014, 06:41 AM   #25
MagnumForce

I don't think they are photoshopped at all. No different then seeing them at a Saturday night Basement show in a Kodak Carousel. Cropping out the slide mounts does nothing to deter from the quality, also note you can view them at 6400 by 3400 as well...

Different place, different rules. Is your enjoyment ruined? Is it horrible stuff?

Glass half full or half empty?

Last edited by MagnumForce; 08-17-2014 at 06:46 AM.
MagnumForce is offline   Reply With Quote