Old 11-02-2016, 03:54 AM   #1
abr

Default Pan shot: Going Away/"Cloudy"

I submitted the following photo of Amtrak ACS-64 #642 departing Metropark Station in Iselin, NJ this evening:

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...39&key=2220493

The train passed through just after sunset. Knowing that I didn't have a lot of light at that hour, but that the better lighting was in the direction it was heading towards (away from me), I figured I would try some pan shots of it departing. I liked the result, and figured I'd take a chance with the screeners, but nevertheless the image was rejected for angle (going away) and cloudy. It was a clear day, so I think the "cloudy" effect actually has to do with the combination of low light/exposure.

First, on the going away rejection, it does say that exceptions are made for artistic and/or unique images. Ignoring the "cloudy" issue, would a pan shot such as this fit that criteria?

Second, on the "cloudy" issue, is this something the screeners ever give leeway on on a pan shot? I know this would be the bigger issue, so insight on this would probably be more controlling on whether or not I'd consider appealing the rejection.

Lastly, with daylight getting shorter and DST soon ending, does anyone have general tips on striking a good balance between the sky/landscape lighting and lighting a stopped (or even passing train) with sunrise/sunset shots.

Thanks in advance for any guidance!
abr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 10:55 AM   #2
miningcamper1

Both cabs blurry is the ultimate downfall for this one. Too much blurry in the photo.

RP Photos: www.railpictures.net/miningcamper1/
miningcamper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 01:36 PM   #3
ShortlinesUSA

Concur. No real sharp area that draws your eye; good idea, but the execution didn't work for this site. But you said something important-- "I liked the result." That's all that matters.

Shortline and Regional RR forum moderator
ShortlinesUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 03:19 PM   #4
JRMDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by abr View Post
First, on the going away rejection, it does say that exceptions are made for artistic and/or unique images. Ignoring the "cloudy" issue, would a pan shot such as this fit that criteria?
I don't think so. It's a basic shot. A non-zoom pan is to some extent a basic roster shot with a blurred background. Harder to pull off, of course! But it isn't that artistic or unique, in my view, and the dominant feel is going away, and that is usually received poorly by RP screeners.

Quote:
Second, on the "cloudy" issue, is this something the screeners ever give leeway on on a pan shot? I know this would be the bigger issue, so insight on this would probably be more controlling on whether or not I'd consider appealing the rejection.
First of all, I would say don't bother with the appeal. This shot isn't really all that much. Decent, and well done pan, but doesn't fit the RP range. It is common for pans to be taken in darker light, helps in getting to the slower shutter speed (if one does not have a neutral gradient filter), and they do get that sort of leeway, but when I first looked at this shot I said to myself "nope." Sorry.

Quote:
Lastly, with daylight getting shorter and DST soon ending, does anyone have general tips on striking a good balance between the sky/landscape lighting and lighting a stopped (or even passing train) with sunrise/sunset shots.
There is no good balance as there is no one type of lighting; different balances and styles will "work" in different circumstances. A shot has to convey some sort of interest - sometimes it is the light, sometimes the absence of the light. The following, for example, has dull light but is an interesting shot.

Image © Kevin Burkholder
PhotoID: 594815
Photograph © Kevin Burkholder

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 10:54 PM   #5
jac_murphy

Just looks like a blurry, poorly lit going-away shot to me, to be honest. I'd let this one go.

-Jacques
jac_murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 12:42 AM   #6
abr

Thanks for all of your insights. As I said, I'm trying to think ahead to different ideas for shots that might work for this site under those conditions since my evening commute will be near and after sunset, so I certainly value everyone's experties.

I was hoping the clear logo in the center contrasted from the edges would offer some good visual appeal, but I can understand why this particular shot doesn't quite work, at least for this site.

I know JRMDC thinks the non-zoom pan is too close to a standard roster shot to overcome the "artistic and/or unique" hurdle for a going away shot. Do others agree? I ask in light of the other comments about one of the cabs being clearer making a difference.
abr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 01:28 AM   #7
Dennis A. Livesey

You have to imbue every shot you present with a reason to look at it. Without it, the viewer will move on.
The non-zoom pan is an away shot and therefore most of the potential energy is dissipated. Given this, you then must then surround the locomotive with context to make up for it. However, in your shot there is no context.
If there was great light that would do it. Alas, there is none.
Three strikes and you are out, unfortunately.

I Foam Therefore I Am.

My pix on RailPics:

I am on Flickr as well:

"Dennis is such a God, he could do that with a camera obscura and some homemade acetate." Holloran Grade

"To me it looks drawn in in Paintshop. It looks like a puddle of orange on the sky." SFO777
Dennis A. Livesey is offline   Reply With Quote