Old 02-21-2006, 10:27 PM   #1
trainmonster

Question Opinions on this

I'm trying to put some kind of artistic spin on (some) photos, mainly, doing the NS in B&W and contrasty backlit shots for dramatic effect.

This one: http://www.railpictures.net/viewreject.php?id=216767 got turned down for 'bad contrast' and backlighting. I mentioned in the note to screener that the backlighting was intentional, so I'm not gonna edit that any further. The issue I have is with the contrast. I think it looks fine. What do y'all think?
Not complaining-I'm just looking for opinions. I appealed-if it doesn't get accepted, enjoy it for now! Pretty cool mix.

This: http://www.railpictures.net/viewreject.php?id=216504 got turned down on appeal also. (don't care if the nose was dark)

Case in point:

Image © Richard Hart
PhotoID: 128344
Photograph © Richard Hart

This got accepted on appeal awhile ago when I mentioned intentional backlighting in the appeal. I've had many more emails commenting on this shot than any 'perfect sun' shots I've put up.

Just wondering if the requirements lately have been tightened up still more. I like the shots though, so that's what counts.

Rich
Old 02-21-2006, 11:21 PM   #2
Andrew Blaszczyk (2)

Send a message via AIM to Andrew Blaszczyk (2) Send a message via Yahoo to Andrew Blaszczyk (2)

There's really nothing you should do about it, its perfect as is. Lately side light has become backlight here...I've had 4+ given the boot for it...I personally love that shot and would actually give it my view rather than the last 50 shots added today. Again great shot, I hope it makes it on somehow! Nice work.

"My camera is an artistic medium, not a tool of terrorism."

www.ab2photography.com Coming soon!
My photos on RailPictures:
http://www.railpictures.net/showphotos.php?userid=960
Andrew Blaszczyk (2) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2006, 11:25 PM   #3
Andrew Blaszczyk (2)

Send a message via AIM to Andrew Blaszczyk (2) Send a message via Yahoo to Andrew Blaszczyk (2)

I didn't see the second reject in there. I like that shot more than the first. Its hard to get a good glint shot on when it's not of a Dash9 in California or Arizona. Nice catch and its perfectly exposed to my eyes. My only problem with it is about they way I would have personally put the sun hitting the NS on the side, but both ways do the same job. Again nice work.

You have your own site with your photos on it? If not I'd love to see one!

"My camera is an artistic medium, not a tool of terrorism."

www.ab2photography.com Coming soon!
My photos on RailPictures:
http://www.railpictures.net/showphotos.php?userid=960
Andrew Blaszczyk (2) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 12:30 AM   #4
Crusader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Blaszczyk (2)
Lately side light has become backlight here...I've had 4+ given the boot for it....
Have had a similar experience...This was one of my recent favorites.
Old 02-22-2006, 05:00 AM   #5
trainmonster

[quote=Andrew Blaszczyk (2)My only problem with it is about they way I would have personally put the sun hitting the NS on the side, but both ways do the same job. Again nice work.

You have your own site with your photos on it? If not I'd love to see one![/QUOTE]

That's what they said. I played with it and upped the saturation but why should I have to? Here's what I did. (I had <3-4 minutes before the sun went behind the mountain and had to hurry a little)

Wish I could afford a site but $$$ are an issue... waiting on a disability hearing. Lawyer on contingency and all that crap. It would actually be easy to do...already have my stuff locally done up in an HTML presentation I did. No one would want to wait for it to load... I won't compress and sacrifice quality.

Rich
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ns_2807-2web.jpg (199.8 KB, 81 views)

Last edited by trainmonster; 02-22-2006 at 05:07 AM.
trainmonster is offline   Reply With Quote