Old 08-19-2009, 05:33 PM   #1
JRMDC

Default The end of the MP race?

Canon today announced some new digicams (rumors are that DSL(s) will be announced Sept 1) including their top-end G11. Other cameras include the S90 IS, a revival of the Sxx line (I have an S70 which is very nice except for shutter lag - it fits in a pocket, does RAW, and goes to 28mm equiv wide).

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0908/09081908canong11.asp

What I find interesting is that the G11 is 10mp, down from the 14.7mp of the predecessor G10. They call it "high sensitivity" in the press release and say it improves image quality and noise performance.

Is this the first attempt to divert consumer demand away from more and more pixels?

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 07:02 PM   #2
travsirocz

Send a message via AIM to travsirocz

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRMDC View Post
Canon today announced some new digicams (rumors are that DSL(s) will be announced Sept 1) including their top-end G11. Other cameras include the S90 IS, a revival of the Sxx line (I have an S70 which is very nice except for shutter lag - it fits in a pocket, does RAW, and goes to 28mm equiv wide).

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0908/09081908canong11.asp

What I find interesting is that the G11 is 10mp, down from the 14.7mp of the predecessor G10. They call it "high sensitivity" in the press release and say it improves image quality and noise performance.

Is this the first attempt to divert consumer demand away from more and more pixels?
Camera company imprinted in the public mind that more pixles means better pictures. I've been told by people that they think their point and shoot is better then a Rebel DSLR because it has more pixles.
travsirocz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 07:22 PM   #3
KevinM

Quote:
Originally Posted by travsirocz View Post
Camera company imprinted in the public mind that more pixles means better pictures. I've been told by people that they think their point and shoot is better then a Rebel DSLR because it has more pixles.
The public wants to think that technology can obviate the need for any human skills. You can go direct to anywhere with a press of a button on your GPS and you can take great pictures if you buy an expensive camera with lots of megapixels. People with lots of disposable income really buy into it too. I can't count how many times I've been approached by people with families at tourist railroads. They see that I have a Nikon camera and they're wondering if I would use theirs to take a picture of their family in front of the locomotive. They typically hand me a heavy DSLR that's as good or better than what I'm carrying. When I look at the mode selector, it's invariably on full auto.

I don't have the heart to tell them they could get the same results with a $200 P&S that would fit in their pocket or purse.

My RP stuff is here.

Link to my Flickr Albums. Lots of Steam Railroad stuff there from all over the US.
KevinM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 09:42 PM   #4
Ween

I noticed that drop in MP as well, but didn't the sensor change from a CMOS to CCD? I had always read that CMOS was > CCD, but has that paradigm now shifted?
Old 08-19-2009, 10:56 PM   #5
Kilroy1313

Wink No, certainly not.

The race goes on, but maybe people will understand that for taking simple family pictures you don't need a tiny camera with 12 MP or so, as that sensor is as tiny as the camera is and from a given point on you squeeze and squeeze, but the result will not be what you expected, because there will be physical limits somewhere.
For some people as there are picture-fanatics or professionnels it looks more as if that lovely little race will go on for another while:
Hasselblad 50MP

Leaf Camera Backs

To get one of these toys you'll have to renounce to your yearly luxury automobile and/or luxury vacation on some expensive islands. Sorry, about dreaming so expensive...
Train-Videos

Kilroy1313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 01:02 AM   #6
ken45
LA&SL Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ween View Post
I noticed that drop in MP as well, but didn't the sensor change from a CMOS to CCD? I had always read that CMOS was > CCD, but has that paradigm now shifted?

I did a quick google search on it. According to this link, CCD sensors have better image quality with less noise, but suck power and cost more to make.
Old 08-20-2009, 02:02 AM   #7
Photoshooter09

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken45 View Post
I did a quick google search on it. According to this link, CCD sensors have better image quality with less noise, but suck power and cost more to make.
With older CCD sensors that is the case, the new top dogs for low, high ISO noise are the CMOS type.
Photoshooter09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 05:52 PM   #8
JRMDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilroy1313 View Post
The race goes on, but maybe people will understand that for taking simple family pictures you don't need a tiny camera with 12 MP or so, as that sensor is as tiny as the camera is and from a given point on you squeeze and squeeze, but the result will not be what you expected, because there will be physical limits somewhere.
For some people as there are picture-fanatics or professionnels it looks more as if that lovely little race will go on for another while ...
I think it will be the informed shooters that go for this stuff, not the family snappers. The new cameras are oriented at the high end - the G11 is the Canon top of the digicam line and the S90 is not too shabby either - it does raw, for example - and is coming out over $400.

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 10:24 PM   #9
Kilroy1313

I am more for Nikon. A few months ago I went to a photo shop asking for some compact digital camera as second body for family and vacation. I don't remember if it was the Nikon P60, but reviewing the ads it seems so; this camera impressed me because it could also picture in RAW format.
Actually this must be the Nikon P6000, which seems a very pretty tool, even including a GPS positionning system.
But there is no decreasing in MP as it makes for 13.5 MP, so Nikon seems not to take that downsizing-Pixel-Train...?!
NIKON Coolpix P6000
Train-Videos

Kilroy1313 is offline   Reply With Quote