Old 11-06-2010, 06:24 AM   #26
Chase55671
RailPictures.Net Crew

Send a message via AIM to Chase55671 Send a message via MSN to Chase55671

Quote:
Originally Posted by IHapsias View Post
Does anyone else here that shoots Canon find Nikon camera's hideous looking?
If you're referring to the SLR line, Nikon SLR's are pretty much identical to Canon SLR's in both size and appearance. An SLR is an SLR. Distinctive in size. The starter bodies have a dial, small plastic body, and overall smaller LCD display (not always the case), while the more advanced bodies have a more secure feel in the hands, a top display, etc. etc. I've found Nikon's D90 to feel quite similar to the 7D.

I really don't have a problem with Nikon. I just really dislike their performance at night. The star effect captured with light is just too much. Even at F5.6 or a low aperture, the star effect is too overpowering. I also highly dislike how Nikon has failed to put a timer on the camera when doing timed exposures.

I could also do without their over priced camera lenses.

Chase
Click here to view my photos at Railpictures.Net
SLR Night Photography Tutorial | Railpictures.Net Beginners Guide
Chase55671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 07:16 AM   #27
Joey Bowman

Quote:
Originally Posted by troy12n View Post
40d and 50d are identical in FPS by the way

And Nikon lenses are like 30%-50% more expensive on average in a lot of cases when they even have an equivalent
For the past 2-3 years the only EF lenses that Canon has been coming out with are L lenses. The rumors are that in the future all EF lenses will be L lenses, and if this rumor is true, and what has happened so far with the 70-300 and the 100 macro, the new lenses will be just as high, if not higher than Nikon's equivalents.

Of course there is always the used market. Or ef-s if you are shooting with an APS-C sensor.
Joey Bowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 02:53 PM   #28
troy12n
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Bowman View Post
For the past 2-3 years the only EF lenses that Canon has been coming out with are L lenses. The rumors are that in the future all EF lenses will be L lenses, and if this rumor is true, and what has happened so far with the 70-300 and the 100 macro, the new lenses will be just as high, if not higher than Nikon's equivalents.
That is a disturbing trend I have noticed. I'm not interested at all in the 70-300 or 100 macro, but I want to buy the rumored 24-70 II if it ever comes out. I dont buy EF-S stuff because I also have a 5d.
troy12n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 02:54 PM   #29
Wizzo

Quote:
For the past 2-3 years the only EF lenses that Canon has been coming out with are L lenses. The rumors are that in the future all EF lenses will be L lenses

Makes a lot of sense - If you buy a pro spec full frame body, there isn't a whole lot of point buying cheaper consumer spec lenses to go on it - wastes the capability of the body.

On the other hand, if you have a crop sensor body, either buy cheaper EF-S lenses, or go the high quality route and buy L spec

Either way, not much point bringing out new non L lenses for full frame cameras.

Press here to see my pics on railpictures.net

More pics here D1059 on Flickr
Wizzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 04:01 PM   #30
JRMDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizzo View Post
Either way, not much point bringing out new non L lenses for full frame cameras.
Well, except if you want to serve all segments of your market. Say 85mm, there is a 1.2L and a very affordable and high quality 1.8. If they make the 1.8 an L and crank the price up they lose some customers. Not everyone, even pros, need to spend the $$$$ for the 85/1.2, and many may want to have the more compact 1.8, cheaper and also smaller. It will be interesting to see how the market breaks and whether in fact there is much demand for non-L primes in particular. Interesting point, Wizzo!

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 04:04 PM   #31
Joey Bowman

Quote:
Makes a lot of sense - If you buy a pro spec full frame body, there isn't a whole lot of point buying cheaper consumer spec lenses to go on it - wastes the capability of the body.

Yes and No, some of the non L EF lenses are still decent performers and not everyone buying a full frame is a pro or wanting pro spec'ed equipment. Of course there will be a nice used market for decades to come.

What will be funny is that 4 or 5 years from now you won't hear any canon fanboys say "but Nikon lenses are more expensive".
Old 11-06-2010, 04:07 PM   #32
Joey Bowman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chase55671 View Post

I really don't have a problem with Nikon. I just really dislike their performance at night. The star effect captured with light is just too much. Even at F5.6 or a low aperture, the star effect is too overpowering. I also highly dislike how Nikon has failed to put a timer on the camera when doing timed exposures.

I could also do without their over priced camera lenses.

Chase

I'd love to see what you are looking at as doing a quick Google search reveals no hits to anyone complaining about that?
Old 11-06-2010, 04:36 PM   #33
trainboysd40

Send a message via MSN to trainboysd40

Quote:

On the other hand, if you have a crop sensor body, either buy cheaper EF-S lenses, or go the high quality route and buy L spec

I totally agree with this. I just hope they keep having cheap EF primes...I'd have the 85 f/1.8 if I hadn't found a great deal on my 85L (First version)
Plus, they've been coming out with loads of EF-S lenses, so if you do have a cropper you've got tons of options.

On the Nikon side of things, their lenses are worth it. For a little while there I had a D700, 14-24, 24-70, and 50mm F/1.4G, and they were SPECTACULAR. I preferred the detail out of my 5D, but I WISH I could mount those lenses on my Canon stuff! Anyways, long story short is that there's no way I was about to spend $7K on that, and went back to my humble Canon side where I bought their just-as-spectacular 70-200 F/2.8L II with insurance money from my stolen 1Ds Mark II.

Wait, this thread was about the 60D....
It's too low for me to consider, but with the 7D being the best crop camera ever () the lower spot makes sense to me. Doesn't mean I like the camera, but it makes sense.
Obligatory link to shots on RP, HERE
trainboysd40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 05:22 PM   #34
khalucha

The last thing I saw/read was that Canon is making the xxD series part of the Rebel series, to which would make sense with the features that it has. As for everyone complaining about the "micro adjust", why is it a big deal that they did not include it on the new camera? If they fixed the focusing issue that they had with the previous camera then there is no need for it. Personally I think that was a easy way for the end user to fix their problem. If you spend $1000.00 + on a lens, it should focus properly out of the box, you should not have to adjust it in the camera to make it focus right.

Webshot Photos

flickr stuff
khalucha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 11:23 PM   #35
troy12n
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRMDC View Post
Well, except if you want to serve all segments of your market. Say 85mm, there is a 1.2L and a very affordable and high quality 1.8. If they make the 1.8 an L and crank the price up they lose some customers. Not everyone, even pros, need to spend the $$$$ for the 85/1.2, and many may want to have the more compact 1.8, cheaper and also smaller. It will be interesting to see how the market breaks and whether in fact there is much demand for non-L primes in particular. Interesting point, Wizzo!
Exactly. I can think of several non-L lenses that have a really good non-L equivalent:

70-200L = 70-210 f4.5-5.6
24-105L = 28-105 USM II
85L = 85 1.8
100L macro = 100 2.8 macro
new L fisheye = 15 fisheye
24-70L = 28-70 USM III

There are some more examples

By making the regular EF mount L only I think is a huge mistake because it completely aleniates a huge segment of the market that may use a 5d or 1d series.
Old 11-06-2010, 11:57 PM   #36
trainboysd40

I used to have that 28-105, and I only used it on a cropper, but I honestly hated it...
Old 11-07-2010, 12:19 AM   #37
troy12n
Banned

There were several versions of the 28-105, the 28-105mm f/3.5-4.5 II version was actually pretty good.
Old 11-07-2010, 04:51 AM   #38
Joey Bowman

I used a 28-105 of a friend's a few times, it was a USM version, reminded me of the 28-135mm though obviously without IS and a tad smaller. Decent lens. I looked into buying one but found a great deal on the 28-135 at the time.
Old 11-07-2010, 05:03 AM   #39
Chase55671
RailPictures.Net Crew

Quote:
I'd love to see what you are looking at as doing a quick Google search reveals no hits to anyone complaining about that?
Joey,

No complaints. Just something I dislike. A very minor thing at that to most, but I just don't particularly care for the star effect that Nikon produces..

Comparisons..

Canon
Image © Chase Gunnoe
PhotoID: 330931
Photograph © Chase Gunnoe

Nikon
Image © Travis Giles
PhotoID: 307089
Photograph © Travis Giles

Sometimes, it's more noticeable than others. But by looking at a night photo, I can generally tell by the star point whether it was taken by a Canon or Nikon.

Chase
Old 11-07-2010, 06:01 AM   #40
JRMDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by khalucha View Post
The last thing I saw/read was that Canon is making the xxD series part of the Rebel series, to which would make sense with the features that it has.
What you read was the body of complaints at the time of the introduction of the 60D, putting it down by saying it is little different from a rebel. You were not reading anything having to do with Canon policy. Just people whining about the repositioning of the 60D, which included reduced use of metal in the body in favor of plastic, making people think Rebel.

Quote:
As for everyone complaining about the "micro adjust", why is it a big deal that they did not include it on the new camera?
See above. It was a feature on the 50D but is not on the 60D. People got upset about its removal (unusual for a feature to disappear in the newer generation of a product - unless repositioned) and raised bloody hell on the forums. Rebels don't have that feature, 7D does, ergo 60D is just a rebel.

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 10:18 AM   #41
Wizzo

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRMDC View Post
Everything I read about the 5D and 1D models keeps saying that to make the most of them you need L glass. With the introduction of the 60D I can see the market beginning to polarise. Rebel (xx0D in Europe) and x0D at the consumer end, xD at the other. The 7D, effectively a pro spec body with a crop sensor (how I read it) is now the crossover model, but is nearer the pro end than the 40/50D were.

I can see lenses going the same way.

When I get a new body (no time soon) I will have a tough decision - full frame or not. All my lenses are L so I could go either way.

Press here to see my pics on railpictures.net

More pics here D1059 on Flickr
Wizzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 04:22 AM   #42
Joey Bowman

Quote:
Joey,

No complaints. Just something I dislike. A very minor thing at that to most, but I just don't particularly care for the star effect that Nikon produces..

Comparisons..

Canon
Image © Chase Gunnoe
PhotoID: 330931
Photograph © Chase Gunnoe

Nikon
Image © Travis Giles
PhotoID: 307089
Photograph © Travis Giles

Sometimes, it's more noticeable than others. But by looking at a night photo, I can generally tell by the star point whether it was taken by a Canon or Nikon.

Chase
Having gone through an obsession at one point in time making lights turn into stars I can tell you its a lens issue not really a camera issue, each lens does it differently.
Old 11-08-2010, 04:26 AM   #43
Joey Bowman

I had a chance to hold a 60D at best buy earlier. Wish they had a lens mounted to it but they didn't and I didn't want to bother the washer/dryer salesman to help me out.

I didnt like the way the buttons were put into the camera, much different feel from the 50D and the rest of the xxD series, the buttons are flush with the body, something that feels odd to me. The wheel on the back of the camera seems to be slightly repositioned and has a different feel to it but it shouldn't be hard to get used to. The biggest thing I noticed was the weight, very very light, felt as if I was holding a rebel, the grip on the body is slightly smaller than the 50D.

I do like that flip screen though.
Old 11-08-2010, 04:39 AM   #44
Chase55671
RailPictures.Net Crew

Quote:
Having gone through an obsession at one point in time making lights turn into stars I can tell you its a lens issue not really a camera issue, each lens does it differently.
Joey,

Exactly. I wasn't blaming the body, but the lens associated with the body. If Canon L glass could fit on a Nikon body, I may actually consider a Nikon body.

Chase
Old 11-08-2010, 05:21 PM   #45
stevenmwelch

Send a message via AIM to stevenmwelch Send a message via Yahoo to stevenmwelch

Quote:
I also highly dislike how Nikon has failed to put a timer on the camera when doing timed exposures.
GAH, kids these days! What, you can't count to 600? I know my phone has a stopwatch on it, or, I'll just watch the clock... I could do without the timer on my camera, I hardly ever use it.
My Photos on RP
My RP Rejects and then Some
stevenmwelch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 07:57 PM   #46
trainboysd40

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenmwelch View Post
GAH, kids these days! What, you can't count to 600? I know my phone has a stopwatch on it, or, I'll just watch the clock... I could do without the timer on my camera, I hardly ever use it.
My camera has a timer....?
Image © Matthew Hicks
PhotoID: 342724
Photograph © Matthew Hicks

Taken using a ticky wristwatch with glow in the dark hands because it was, well, dark.
Old 11-08-2010, 08:04 PM   #47
troy12n
Banned

The timer is pretty handy, albeit in the middle of the night, impossible to read. Would be nice if that LCD was backlit. I use a cell phone to try to see what that reads. I never really understood why 30 seconds was the max built in shutter speed.
Old 11-08-2010, 08:08 PM   #48
Walter S

Send a message via AIM to Walter S

Quote:
Originally Posted by trainboysd40 View Post
My camera has a timer....?

Taken using a ticky wristwatch with glow in the dark hands because it was, well, dark.
Exactly, they are impossible to see at night. I usually count, guess...
Old 11-08-2010, 08:13 PM   #49
troy12n
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter S View Post
Exactly, they are impossible to see at night. I usually count, guess...
What do you do when you run out of fingers and toes?
Old 11-08-2010, 08:16 PM   #50
Chase55671
RailPictures.Net Crew

The timer exists, but incredibly hard to see. I sometimes will make sure the camera is definitely secured on the tri-pod and will occasionally activate the light just to see where my exposure is.

My Rebel displayed the timer nice and bright on the LCD screen. This is something that I wish was an option on SLR's that have a top display.

Chase