Old 05-06-2013, 12:12 AM   #1
jay124

Default 2 lastest rejections

1st one got hit for bad cropping. I really like this one so any help is appreciated http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...16&key=9913058

This got hit for foreground clutter. I don't think there is any hope for this, as I real like this shot.
http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...17&key=9470316
As always thanks for the help and opinions
Jason
jay124 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 12:18 AM   #2
Freericks
Met Fan

On the first one, I honestly think just going tighter all around and you would be in (that's my guess though). Cool shoot.

On the second one, foreground clutter is a tough one - you can't fix that. If you spot lightened the train, however, and maybe went a little tighter, and explained that you did that to compensate - maybe it would have a shot? If it was mine, I might try.
Freericks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 12:33 AM   #3
JRMDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freericks View Post
On the second one, foreground clutter is a tough one - you can't fix that. If you spot lightened the train, however, and maybe went a little tighter, and explained that you did that to compensate - maybe it would have a shot? If it was mine, I might try.
I"ll stick my neck out with a prediction. No chance.

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 12:47 AM   #4
jay124

Thanks for the help so far. As for the second I think it's done. I'm fine with that, I'm really more interested in the first.
I've got another spot that is higher up hopefully that will do it.
Old 05-06-2013, 12:52 AM   #5
Freericks
Met Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRMDC View Post
You are probably right - but I might have given one more try (likely a waste - but you never know).
Freericks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 01:16 AM   #6
Andrew Crosby

I wouldn't presume to give you actual advice, Jay, since it's common knowlege around Iona that you're better than me. ; )

But my two cents on the across-the-marsh shot is that I believe RP just plain likes to see the trucks and wheels. I'd totally try resubmitting, as suggested earlier, but even if not accepted it's still a uniique Iona shot. The light and color are terrific.
Andrew Crosby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 02:03 AM   #7
jay124

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Crosby View Post
I wouldn't presume to give you actual advice, Jay, since it's common knowlege around Iona that you're better than me. ; )

But my two cents on the across-the-marsh shot is that I believe RP just plain likes to see the trucks and wheels. I'd totally try resubmitting, as suggested earlier, but even if not accepted it's still a uniique Iona shot. The light and color are terrific.
I don't know if I'd go that far, but thanks for kind words. Not being able to see the wheels is one of the things I like.
Old 05-06-2013, 04:09 AM   #8
Noct Foamer

For the first one, make a pole saw and get rid of the branches. For the second, you need elevation. I often use a 12 ft. step ladder, carried on the top of my RAV4, for these problems. Or, a 15 foot lightstand. When evaluating a potential spot for a photo, try to imagine where the perfect spot would be to take a shot, and then figure out a way to make it happen. Most all good photos, and good art in genreral for that matter, generally comes down to your previsualization skills.

Kent in SD
Noct Foamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 07:33 AM   #9
cblaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noct Foamer View Post
For the first one, make a pole saw and get rid of the branches... When evaluating a potential spot for a photo, try to imagine where the perfect spot would be to take a shot, and then figure out a way to make it happen. Most all good photos, and good art in genreral for that matter, generally comes down to your previsualization skills.
The above advice actually reinforces that what Jason did for the first shot was correct. He "previsualized" his shot, by choosing a well-known, recognizable location (not a crossing in the woods or nondescript field) and also got creative by including the branches as a frame for the scene.

My only gripe with it is that I would have crouched down a little bit to clear the branches from obscuring the Bear Mountain Bridge and give a little bit more gap between them and the train. However, that's not fixable on this shot, just a note for next time. Since this one got back cropping, I agree with Charles about going tighter. Take some off the top and the right, leaving in the first visible abutment at right, and it should be good.

Very nice choice of location for a foreign power train, and very nice "previsualization" skills by including the frame. Hope it gets on.

- Chris
Old 05-06-2013, 09:39 AM   #10
jay124

Quote:
Originally Posted by cblaz View Post
The above advice actually reinforces that what Jason did for the first shot was correct. He "previsualized" his shot, by choosing a well-known, recognizable location (not a crossing in the woods or nondescript field) and also got creative by including the branches as a frame for the scene.

My only gripe with it is that I would have crouched down a little bit to clear the branches from obscuring the Bear Mountain Bridge and give a little bit more gap between them and the train. However, that's not fixable on this shot, just a note for next time. Since this one got back cropping, I agree with Charles about going tighter. Take some off the top and the right, leaving in the first visible abutment at right, and it should be good.

Very nice choice of location for a foreign power train, and very nice "previsualization" skills by including the frame. Hope it gets on.

- Chris
Thanks this was the look I was going for. Being with 2 other fans and a high tide space was limited and I didn't want to do the same thing. As far as crouching down to get the bridge clear, I wasn't even looking at that, I was more concerned with"I hope it fits right". I well try resubmitting hopefully tonite.
Jason
Old 05-06-2013, 11:43 AM   #11
Joe the Photog

First shot doesn't make a lot of sense to me. You've got a cool bridge to shoot, yet you fill ore of the frame with leaves than bridge. I know you said you were with two other fans. Who was driving? Was there not a better spot to shoot from? Could you not have shot more bridge?

Second one -- no.

Both shots are sized oddly in my book, around 1200X700 when 1200X800 would look better at least to me.
Old 05-06-2013, 09:22 PM   #12
jay124

So I recropped and now got bad crop again and also contrast
here's the resub.
http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...41&key=8025543
No clue on what to do next.
Jason
Old 05-06-2013, 09:28 PM   #13
Missabefan

My .02

I would say slightly less contrast.
I would also say crop the left side in to slightly behind the first car and add to the bottom if you can (more water, while also moving the train out of the dead center of the frame).

It looks like a panoramic with the dimensions as is.
Missabefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 09:47 PM   #14
Joe the Photog

The second version os even more "lopsided" on the dimensions, in the area of 1200X638 where as 1200X800 is typically more in line with what RP wants. I mentioned this before and now Todd has said it as well.
Old 05-06-2013, 09:47 PM   #15
jay124

Thanks. One day hopefully I will get this cropping thing down.
Jason
Old 05-06-2013, 09:51 PM   #16
jay124

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
The second version os even more "lopsided" on the dimensions, in the area of 1200X638 where as 1200X800 is typically more in line with what RP wants. I mentioned this before and now Todd has said it as well.
I just changed the with to 1200 and the other number comes up automatically.
I will look for a way to change both individually.
Jason
Old 05-06-2013, 09:53 PM   #17
JRMDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay124 View Post
I just changed the with to 1200 and the other number comes up automatically.
I will look for a way to change both individually.
Jason

No, no, you are missing the point. Yes, given the crop you have selected, if you choose 1200, the other number comes out small. That is because you are choosing a crop which is too wide, compared to its height, for the RP norm. You need to change the crop to fix it. you need to change the shape of the image.

In this case, start by cutting a good bit off the left.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
Old 05-06-2013, 09:56 PM   #18
jay124

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
First shot doesn't make a lot of sense to me. You've got a cool bridge to shoot, yet you fill ore of the frame with leaves than bridge. I know you said you were with two other fans. Who was driving? Was there not a better spot to shoot from? Could you not have shot more bridge?
Joe, One reason I didn't do the more open shot of the bridge with this one is because I shot that on the train before. I knew this train had the visiting power and while waiting I saw the opening in the trees and thought it would be a great way to frame the power. But here is the classic view.http://www.railpictures.net/viewphot...=435075&nseq=1
Thanks and I really do appreciate the advice.
Jason
Old 05-06-2013, 10:01 PM   #19
nikos1

My .02 cents, sometimes its best to stick with the standard angle, because though there are other angles, are they really better? I'm not a fan of the leaves, its a good concept but too much of the frame is filled up by them for my tastes.

Wedge shots of blue HLCX SD60's http://www.railpictures.net/showphotos.php?userid=7861

More wedge shots of blue HLCX SD60's http://nikos1.rrpicturearchives.net/

Video wedge shots of blue HLCX SD60's
http://youtube.com/profile?user=nikosjk1
nikos1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 04:09 AM   #20
jay124

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikos1 View Post
My .02 cents, sometimes its best to stick with the standard angle, because though there are other angles, are they really better? I'm not a fan of the leaves, its a good concept but too much of the frame is filled up by them for my tastes.
Thanks I tried something different and am happy with it, which is what matters.
I know that everyone has there own opinions which is what makes this a great place to learn.
Jason
Old 05-07-2013, 06:47 AM   #21
Holloran Grade
Banned

Lightbulb An Idea

Quote:
I concur - no chance with the second one for a number of reasons, the most important being that you can't see the wheels.

As for the first, I suggest something this.

Name:  1537.1367792004.jpg
Views: 234
Size:  410.5 KB

Quote:
Thanks. One day hopefully I will get this cropping thing down.
Jason

No you won't, because when you do - they will change what they are looking for.

Last edited by Holloran Grade; 05-07-2013 at 06:55 AM.
Holloran Grade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 10:16 PM   #22
jay124

Well I think it's time to give up on this. Tried again now it's underexposed, on the bright side at least it wasn't cropping. I'll take that as a small win.
Thanks for all the advice,
Jason
Old 05-07-2013, 10:29 PM   #23
JRMDC

Quote:
Well I think it's time to give up on this. Tried again now it's underexposed, on the bright side at least it wasn't cropping. I'll take that as a small win.
Thanks for all the advice,
Jason
I appreciate that the endless go-arounds are annoying and taxing, but why not one more go, just increase the exposure? The sky has a look of impending storm, and the histogram says you have nothing on the bright end of the range. Looks like a simple adjustment.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
Old 05-07-2013, 10:49 PM   #24
troy12n
Banned

How about something like this?

Attached Images
File Type: jpg jaws.jpg (167.5 KB, 313 views)
troy12n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 11:07 PM   #25
jay124

Quote:
I appreciate that the endless go-arounds are annoying and taxing, but why not one more go, just increase the exposure? The sky has a look of impending storm, and the histogram says you have nothing on the bright end of the range. Looks like a simple adjustment.
Thanks I'm just going to take a little break from it. I will try again when I come back back from vacation.