Old 03-15-2019, 04:07 PM   #1
Grewup on the CW

Default 611 @ Strasburg RR this fall (2019)

Tickets just went on sale. Curios as to whom might be going for possible meet and greet.
https://www.strasburgrailroad.com/
Grewup on the CW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 04:26 PM   #2
KevinM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grewup on the CW View Post
Tickets just went on sale. Curios as to whom might be going for possible meet and greet.
https://www.strasburgrailroad.com/
I bought all 4 of the day sessions. Although it won't be 60 mph running, Strasburg has a decent grade and solid track. They also have a nice selection of vintage freight cars. The combination of both extant, operable N&W engines should be a pretty nice weekend, especially if the weather is decent. Pete has run plenty of trips at "The Burg", so he'll get everybody the best that can be had given the light we get.

The night session sounded interesting, BUT at $750 for 4 hrs, I think they will have much more difficulty selling it out. I personally passed on it. I do as many charters as anyone I know, and what I've learned is that night sessions are a crap-shoot. With 35 people and just 3-4 hrs, you're lucky if you get 2-3 different photos that are keepers.....and you may get nothing you like. In my mind, no night session in the world is worth $750, but I thought that was just me. I was on a charter late last week when this stuff got announced and I took an informal poll. All but one of the patrons I talked to thought the price of the Strasburg night session was nuts. BTW, Pete had nothing to do with the pricing. That was set by the RR and the VMT.

My RP stuff is here.

Link to my Flickr Albums. Lots of Steam Railroad stuff there from all over the US.
KevinM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 05:09 PM   #3
bigbassloyd

Depending on the final arrangements I may chase it moving to and fro. I enjoyed shooting it on home rails by home signals and there's no way I'll top that on the 4.5 miles of relatively bland trackage at Strasburg. I'm sure many others will enjoy it though.

Loyd L.

My personal photography site
bigbassloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 06:33 PM   #4
KevinM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbassloyd View Post
Depending on the final arrangements I may chase it moving to and fro. I enjoyed shooting it on home rails by home signals and there's no way I'll top that on the 4.5 miles of relatively bland trackage at Strasburg. I'm sure many others will enjoy it though.

Loyd L.
Although Strasburg won't look like VA or NC, the place is well-suited for photography, particularly at sunrise and sunset, assuming the weather cooperates. It is decently lit for most of the day. Unlike some railroads I've been on lately, it doesn't take long to get from A to B, so most of the trip will be spent shooting vs. riding. Also, it will be a vintage freight, vs. a hodge podge of dome cars from various railroads, so a tad more authentic than a typical fan trip on the NS.

I really wanted to photograph 611 on home rails, but the one time I was able to arrange a chase with a friend who really knew the territory, good ole JetBlue destroyed my plan at the last minute, by delaying and then finally canceling my flight....and telling me they couldn't get me down there for at least 48 hrs. I've had more miserable experiences on JetBlue than any other airline.

My RP stuff is here.

Link to my Flickr Albums. Lots of Steam Railroad stuff there from all over the US.
Old 03-18-2019, 07:55 PM   #5
bigbassloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinM View Post
I really wanted to photograph 611 on home rails, but the one time I was able to arrange a chase with a friend who really knew the territory, good ole JetBlue destroyed my plan at the last minute, by delaying and then finally canceling my flight....and telling me they couldn't get me down there for at least 48 hrs. I've had more miserable experiences on JetBlue than any other airline.
I remember you telling me about that. You would have enjoyed the dome cars

Loyd L.

Old 08-19-2019, 03:31 PM   #6
Grewup on the CW

611 left Roanoke this morning around 8:30 am headed up NS Shenandoah line, Thanks to Steve Wilt for the heads up info. NS pulled out all the classic tricks for a daylight run and has one of their fabulous classic drab Dash 9's leading way. She's fired up & ready. I'm so enthused for all the NS corporate efforts in trying to even compete with UP's Big Boy movements. What a let down...
I'm sure Strasburg RR and Lerro will put on a worthy show.

Last edited by Grewup on the CW; 08-20-2019 at 02:08 PM. Reason: Edited to correct info
Old 08-19-2019, 03:44 PM   #7
bigbassloyd

How many passenger and employee trips did UP run during the 21st century steam program timeframe? I'll hang up and listen...

Don't be a foamer.

Loyd L.

Old 08-19-2019, 05:30 PM   #8
Grewup on the CW

Quote:
How many passenger and employee trips did UP run during the 21st century steam program timeframe? I'll hang up and listen...

Don't be a foamer.

Loyd L.

NS has done a lot more compared to UP but my disgruntlement stems from NS's lack of pride. Growing up in a railroad family that worked for the N&W there was a lot of pride back then (before the NS merger). Its seems that pride has long faded away and replaced with how much more profit will fit in the corporate pockets.
I mean come on, NS is taxing around (due to lack of PTC, an argument for another day) the "Queen of Steam". She was proudly built in Roanoke, VA the heart of the former N&W corporation. She is an icon to their heritage/history and they scuttle her around like a shes an second rate obligation. Given NS had ample time to prepare for this move, the proper send off should have been having her ride behind their N&W heritage loco #8103 (after giving it a good wash/cleaning). Silly of me to think that some corporate profits could be spent on such an idea.

Some may argue safety and that would draw more attention. If that was the case then why a daylight move? Foamers are gonna foam and more so in the daylight. Especially now that she's held up in about a 2 hour delay due to a broken knuckle on a extra long "Precision Railroading" train in front of her........
Old 08-20-2019, 02:37 PM   #9
Grewup on the CW

611 Leaving Shenandoah Yard this morning. An unplanned stop/layover, I am told due to all the delays yesterday from NS 16T's multiple issues. The delay caused quite a few headaches for all involved and those chasing or planned to chase. I'll eat crow and admit that a drab show is better than no show.
Old 08-20-2019, 04:10 PM   #10
bigbassloyd

Quote:
I'll eat crow and admit that a drab show is better than no show.
There's no denying that chasing the equivalent of a smoking freight car is pretty worthless. Just don't hate the RR for it considering their past givings to the foam world.

Loyd L.

Old 08-20-2019, 04:20 PM   #11
Grewup on the CW

Quote:
There's no denying that chasing the equivalent of a smoking freight car is pretty worthless. Just don't hate the RR for it considering their past givings to the foam world.

Loyd L.
No hate at all, N&W paychecks put food on my table. Just disappointed that my home town team could have continued to hit the ball out of the park and chose not to. They are in the lime light and people watching and clicking from everywhere, like Vermont.....
Old 08-21-2019, 03:15 PM   #12
KevinM

Although I would love to see 611 out on the main line once again, I am grateful that NS is still supporting the VMT in getting her to places where she can run. I recall a photo charter some years ago that got totally canned because another Class 1 steadfastly refused to move a steam locomotive over just a few miles of their own trackage.

I'm really looking forward to the Strasburg events. Sure, it's not going to be 60 mph, but Strasburg has good track, a nice selection of equipment and virtually the entire line provides good photography at one point or another during the day. We'll also have the added bonus of N&W 382, which a lot of people haven't seen before, unless they are regulars on Pete's charters. I am sure that Pete will take full advantage of whatever weather conditions we get. I also hope that Strasburg and the VMT make some good money off these events. If everybody wins, the fun will continue.

With regard to photographing the move from VMT to Strasburg, I guess if I lives someplace near the route, I might take a few photos, but I would not be inclined travel any distance to photograph a steam engine behind a diesel. Like I said, I am grateful that NS is doing this.....it's just not my cup of tea from a photography standpoint.

My RP stuff is here.

Old 08-21-2019, 03:37 PM   #13
bigbassloyd

Quote:
Although I would love to see 611 out on the main line once again, I am grateful that NS is still supporting the VMT in getting her to places where she can run. I recall a photo charter some years ago that got totally canned because another Class 1 steadfastly refused to move a steam locomotive over just a few miles of their own trackage.
734 with CSX comes to mind. Fortunately the mindset is changing in Jacksonville.

I hope the events are tremendously successful as well. Just isn't my cup of sweet tea though.
Happy national sweet tea day!

Loyd L.

Old 08-21-2019, 04:21 PM   #14
Grewup on the CW

Quote:

I'm really looking forward to the Strasburg events. Sure, it's not going to be 60 mph, but Strasburg has good track, a nice selection of equipment and virtually the entire line provides good photography at one point or another during the day. We'll also have the added bonus of N&W 382, which a lot of people haven't seen before, unless they are regulars on Pete's charters. I am sure that Pete will take full advantage of whatever weather conditions we get. I also hope that Strasburg and the VMT make some good money off these events. If everybody wins, the fun will continue.

With regard to photographing the move from VMT to Strasburg, I guess if I lives someplace near the route, I might take a few photos, but I would not be inclined travel any distance to photograph a steam engine behind a diesel. Like I said, I am grateful that NS is doing this.....it's just not my cup of tea from a photography standpoint.
I am looking forward to see all the pics from this event. I would love to be there myself but just not in cards for me. Hope you have a great time.

With regards to (us) locals catching it...It would have been a treat considering no more than I get out when there are opportunity's, if nothing more than just to hear her chugging along. Had she not had delays on her first day out, I might have collected my on pic. She was tied down over night close to me but my work kept me from taken advantage of the unplanned layover. Life goes on, maybe next time.
Old 09-17-2019, 09:33 PM   #15
Grewup on the CW

This pic (no discredit to the photographer, glad he got his pic on RP) proves to me that NS "Can do or make the proper arrangements" when they want to. Southern heritage #8099 sporting a new painted plow if not the entire engine and or was given a through proper cleaning and on point to pull the OCS to their upcoming "Southern" event. No N&W heritage #8103 for the Queen of Steam.......... Seems to me the Southern part of NS rules the roost. No foam here (Lloyd), just proving a point that NS could have done a better / more "Classy" job/effort on the 611 ferry move to Strasburg.

Image © Daniel Childers
PhotoID: 710195
Photograph © Daniel Childers
Old 09-18-2019, 08:04 PM   #16
KevinM

I'm not sure it matters (to me, at least) how they moved 611. I'm just glad they did move it. Pretty diesel or dirty diesel.....it's still just a diesel.

My RP stuff is here.

Old 09-20-2019, 03:40 PM   #17
Grewup on the CW

Steam or diesel, its a train to me either way.........
While I may be beating a dead horse (puns intended) on this thread, my opinion/preference wont change a thing within NS but at least if one of the brass people hears the cricket in the corner, maybe it will make them think a " little bit". Heck, I dont about you guys but you can certainly count on me giving my ride a through cleaning when I take my wife out for a dance. Nice to see somebody at NS got their hand out of their corporate pocket and bought a jug of soap. Even the dark horse got a proper bath for their Southern event.

Image © Jordan Hood
PhotoID: 710400
Photograph © Jordan Hood
Old 09-21-2019, 06:39 PM   #18
Decapod401

Quote:
This pic (no discredit to the photographer, glad he got his pic on RP) proves to me that NS "Can do or make the proper arrangements" when they want to. Southern heritage #8099 sporting a new painted plow if not the entire engine and or was given a through proper cleaning and on point to pull the OCS to their upcoming "Southern" event. No N&W heritage #8103 for the Queen of Steam.......... Seems to me the Southern part of NS rules the roost. No foam here (Lloyd), just proving a point that NS could have done a better / more "Classy" job/effort on the 611 ferry move to Strasburg.

Image © Daniel Childers
PhotoID: 710195
Photograph © Daniel Childers
Without going into a long discussion, I think that your observation of Southern "rules the roost" is somewhat correct but your reasoning why is not. The Southern embraced steam and excursions in 1966, and continued through the merger. The N&W never did, never seemed to care about corporate image, and much of this carried through to the Moorman era of the NS. I doubt that the 611 or the 1218 would have ever hit the mainline without the influence of the Southern folks. To this day, I have never made a trip to the Pokey, arguably one of the most scenic lines in the east, because it was not worth an eight-hour drive to shoot a line where the majority of trains were led by filthy turds. In my opinion, the 611 ferry move got the treatment that I would expect from the N&W.

My RP Pics are HERE.

I've now got a Flickr. account, too.
Decapod401 is offline   Reply With Quote