Old 02-22-2006, 02:08 AM   #1
hoydie17
We Own The Night...

Send a message via AIM to hoydie17 Send a message via Yahoo to hoydie17
Default So long folks!

Well, I'm not really leaving RP.net forums, I'll be here for these still, but I've requested Chris Starnes to remove all of my photos from the database.

The reason for this is I recently shelled out a bunch of time and money to register and build my own web domain. I've been beta-testing it for about a month now, and things seem to be falling together well. It makes little sense to have my photos littered about the web.

I do extend my heartfelt thanks to Chris (both of them), Erik, Rob, and Emmitt for their efforts. As well as the various others who contributed to this website either with their own photos, or other things they have done to help out.

I also spent a great many nights cursing those names while reading rejection notice after rejection notice. But without those rejections my photos would have never gotten better.

That is not to say there aren't others that have helped me get better at taking photos of choo-choos either, cause there are plenty of them, Alex Lang, Peter Furnee, Jim Johnston, Brian Plant, and Mel Patrick to name just a few.

But with out RP.net, I wouldn't have gotten the exposure that I've had and learned as much as I have about RR photography. Yes, we all have something to learn regardless of how old we are, or how much time we have behind a camera. Taking pictures of trains is a far different monster than the abstract and landscape photography I started on in my High School days, but it's funny to see how you can merge them all together from time to time.

At any rate, I invite you all to check out my online gallery at www.hoydie17.com/gallery

Check back regularly as I will be adding/changing photos frequently, as well as adding other features.

Cheers!

Sean R. Hoyden
sean.hoyden@gmail.com

Or if you want to see my work here at RP.net? Click here.

"It's just a damn train son!"
hoydie17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 02:27 AM   #2
Andrew Blaszczyk (2)

Send a message via AIM to Andrew Blaszczyk (2) Send a message via Yahoo to Andrew Blaszczyk (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoydie17
At any rate, I invite you all to check out my online gallery at www.hoydie17.com/gallery

Check back regularly as I will be adding/changing photos frequently, as well as adding other features.

Cheers!
Your site is saved in my "Train pics" folder in favorites already. Its been a joy looking at your work here and I'm sure that will continue on your site. Good luck!

"My camera is an artistic medium, not a tool of terrorism."

www.ab2photography.com Coming soon!
My photos on RailPictures:
http://www.railpictures.net/showphotos.php?userid=960

Last edited by Andrew Blaszczyk (2); 02-22-2006 at 02:28 AM. Reason: I spelt "looking" wrong lol
Andrew Blaszczyk (2) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 05:35 AM   #3
J. E. Landrum
RailPictures.Net Crew

You cursed my name??? I think I'm gonna cry... Sean, you've got great stuff. C'mon back soon! See ya along the rails....
J. E. Landrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 12:58 PM   #4
VirginiaSouthern
Banned

Send a message via AIM to VirginiaSouthern Send a message via Yahoo to VirginiaSouthern

Website's bookmarked. Look forward to seeing things grow.
VirginiaSouthern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 05:57 PM   #5
trainmonster

Site looks nice... don't be a stranger though! Maybe we'll cross paths at Cove.

Rich
Old 02-22-2006, 08:18 PM   #6
ccaranna

Sean, good luck to you!

Though I will take the opportunity to mention that I find it a bit disconcerting that the trend as of late is for contributors to remove their photographs from the database.

I can think of 3 off of the top of my head in the last couple of months.

Just wondering who'll be next!

Chuck
ccaranna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 12:02 AM   #7
NicTrain35

Sean,

You're a great photographer with excellent photos. Keep up the great work. I have your site bookmarked. Good luck!

My pictures at RP:
http://www.railpictures.net/showphotos.php?userid=3955
NicTrain35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 12:13 AM   #8
Andrew Blaszczyk (2)

Send a message via AIM to Andrew Blaszczyk (2) Send a message via Yahoo to Andrew Blaszczyk (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccaranna

Chuck
Won't be me...I love the exposure my photos get from being posted on this site and the opportunities that arise because of it. Having your own site will never get the publicity that a site like RP gives to us, the photogrpahers.

"My camera is an artistic medium, not a tool of terrorism."

www.ab2photography.com Coming soon!
My photos on RailPictures:
http://www.railpictures.net/showphotos.php?userid=960
Andrew Blaszczyk (2) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 01:23 AM   #9
hoydie17
We Own The Night...

Send a message via AIM to hoydie17 Send a message via Yahoo to hoydie17

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccaranna
Sean, good luck to you!

Though I will take the opportunity to mention that I find it a bit disconcerting that the trend as of late is for contributors to remove their photographs from the database.

I can think of 3 off of the top of my head in the last couple of months.

Chuck
Thanks for the compliments gang, they are appreciated!

Think of me as Obi-Wan Kenobi or something, just kind of lingering around in the netherworld (RP Forums). Passing on advice when needed.

I disagree Andrew, RP.net is great, but with 115,000 photos in a database, how do you make your couple of hundred photos stand out?

It's as easy as getting into railroad related forums like these and generating your own exposure like I just did. Four or five people in here just said they bookmarked my page, now it only takes them to pass it on to a few more people and so on. And think of it like this, when they go to YOUR webpage, they see YOUR photos, not YOUR photos among everyone elses.

Just remember, anyone can take a picture of a train, only a photographer can take a picture of a train and make people talk about it long after the fact.

BTW, don't take that comment for something it's not, I'm not trying to self-promote, there are people out there that make my photos look like what they really are; pictures of trains.

Sean

Or if you want to see my work here at RP.net? Click here.

"It's just a damn train son!"

Last edited by hoydie17; 02-24-2006 at 01:42 AM.
hoydie17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 01:28 AM   #10
dsktc

Smile

I have also bookmarked your site, Sean.

May the force be with you.

Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoydie17
Thanks for the compliments gang, they are appreciated!

Think of me as Obi-Wan Kenobi or something, just kind of lingering around in the netherworld (RP Forums). Giving advice when needed.

Never hesitate to contact me, I'll be glad if I can help out somehow.

Sean
Old 02-24-2006, 01:52 AM   #11
cmherndon
Banned

Send a message via AIM to cmherndon Send a message via Yahoo to cmherndon

Sean, your site looks great! I'll be sure to make a link to it.

Quote:
I disagree Andrew, RP.net is great, but with 115,000 photos in a database, how do you make your couple of hundred photos stand out?
Very good point. I know several folks who only look at say the top 15 or 30 new additions. If your photo is mired in a sea full of wedgies, then how will one get the exposure that has been spoken of?

Quote:
Just remember, anyone can take a picture of a train, only a photographer can take a picture of a train and make people talk about it long after the fact.
O. Winston Link comes to mind here...
cmherndon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2006, 04:41 AM   #12
willie6622

Site looks good.... Hate to see you stop posting here too, but I do understand your reasoning.

Best of luck!
Willie
Old 02-24-2006, 06:17 AM   #13
cblaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmherndon
I know several folks who only look at say the top 15 or 30 new additions. If your photo is mired in a sea full of wedgies, then how will one get the exposure that has been spoken of?
I have to disagree with Sean and Caleb here. No disrespect to you two at all, I think you're two of the finest photographers this site has had, but you're looking at this point from the wrong perspective. You're looking at it as exposure from the public, as I look at it from a business perspective.

Imagine you're a PR person from J.B. Hunt and you need a photo of your containers on a stack train for your annual report. Maybe you know that competitor Maersk used Cajon Pass in CA for its PR photo shoots, so you come to this site and search for that location. You should be able to find a shot on here than would work, most likely taken by either Dave Toussaint or Jean-Marc Frybourg. Here are two shots that took me no longer than 10 minutes to find and would work well in an annual report.

Image © Dave Toussaint
PhotoID: 131401
Photograph © Dave Toussaint

Image © Jean-Marc FRYBOURG
PhotoID: 130679
Photograph © Jean-Marc FRYBOURG

Another example is if you were a magazine editor putting together an article on railfanning St. Louis and you needed a few more shots to fix space. More than likely, after searching for St. Louis on this site, you will contact John Witthaus to see if he had any shots you could use. Same thing for Memphis and M.J. Scanlon. Wouldn't it be easier for the editor to come on here and search for the city than to have to Google a whole bunch of railfan's sites, looking for shots of that particular city?

Yes, eventually I will pay for my own site, but no, I will not even consider pulling my photos off of here. I will use my site to publish my photos that I got on here and also the ones that the screeners don't think are RP.net worthy. However, the only way I would stop posting here and pull my photos off is if someone develops a site that generates the same type of exposure throughout the hobby, without the strict screening enforced on here, and without accepting every single shot as Railroad Picture Archives does. Once that site comes to be, and it doesn't look like it will anytime soon, only then will I consider pulling my shots off of here.

If you only shoot wedgies of UP SD70Ms or BNSF widecabs from the same nondescript location over and over again, then no, your photos will not stand out. However, if you put some variety, scenery, and thought into your shots, you have a better shot at getting your shots noticed, both by other railfans and people outside of the hobby. Look at the People's Choice photos, not many boring wedgies in those shots. That is the best measure of the type of shots that people want to see on this site, and a perfect guideline for newcomers to look at when they are starting out in this hobby.

End of my (long-winded) $0.02 contribution.
- Chris
cblaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2006, 10:45 AM   #14
Ween

Quote:
And think of it like this, when they go to YOUR webpage, they see YOUR photos, not YOUR photos among everyone elses.
Sorry, but I can't resist:

http://www.railpictures.net/showphotos.php?userid=2544

There's all mine. Plus the same link is down below in my signature. It's also linked in other spots online as well. But...

I just hate to see people leave, I guess. But that's your business, not mine...
Old 02-24-2006, 02:12 PM   #15
ccaranna

I have to agree with Chris on this one- While I also respect and understand the wishes, desires, and actions of folks removing their pictures, I have little else to add because I believe he hit the nail squarely on the head.
ccaranna is offline   Reply With Quote