Old 06-04-2008, 09:08 PM   #1
mattyrob87

Default Borderline Poor Esthetic Quality?

Good morning all!

Now in my opinion I thought this picture should make it. I've seen similar pictures on this site... but that's just me. What does everybody else think? Suggestions, opinions, and advice welcomed please!

Thanks!
mattyrob87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 09:23 PM   #2
Freericks
Met Fan

There's no link.
Freericks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 09:24 PM   #3
mattyrob87

ooops sorry...

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...key=1167021843
Old 06-04-2008, 09:43 PM   #4
JRMDC

I guess the question is does/should RP accept shots of RR equipment reused for non-RR purposes? I don't recall any such shots here, but then I hardly have anything like an encyclopedic memory for the database. Personally, I'm not a fan, but I can see going RP either way and it's no big deal to me, as long as the shots are interesting photographs.

There is one such caboose, MoPac, in the background of this shot (way, way gratuitous link! )

Image © Janusz Mrozek
PhotoID: 173929
Photograph © Janusz Mrozek

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 09:44 PM   #5
KevinM

Just a first impression....

I think that the "platform/yard furniture" (if that's what it is) is the biggest issue. It looks a bit too "rustic" and is also cut off in the photo. The viewer really doesn't know what to make of it on first glance. It looks like a pile of clutter. If the furniture could be arranged in a fashion a little more pleasing to the eye, and the composition of the photo could be changed to include it (or exclude it) completely, it would have a better chance......but I'm guessing it might still be a stretch.

My RP stuff is here.

Link to my Flickr Albums. Lots of Steam Railroad stuff there from all over the US.
KevinM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 09:53 PM   #6
Freericks
Met Fan

I've tried similar shots myself and had them rejected, so I can't be very encouraging.
Freericks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 10:33 PM   #7
Northern Limits

First reaction is to the driftwood bench - it is too much of a focal point . If it was removed so you could see some of the trucks and the weeds trimmed away from the other you might have something. There is enough of the original equipment, including lights to make it interesting.

Museum pieces are accepted, so why not a well equipped piece on private property? But without all the foreground clutter.

Click Here to view my photos at RailPictures.Net!
Northern Limits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 10:34 PM   #8
JimThias

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinM
Just a first impression....

I think that the "platform/yard furniture" (if that's what it is) is the biggest issue. It looks a bit too "rustic" and is also cut off in the photo. The viewer really doesn't know what to make of it on first glance. It looks like a pile of clutter. If the furniture could be arranged in a fashion a little more pleasing to the eye, and the composition of the photo could be changed to include it (or exclude it) completely, it would have a better chance......but I'm guessing it might still be a stretch.
I agree. I think this scene needs a better angle and better staging. Right now it's a borderline snapshot and not a strong composition. With all the random RR-related items in the database, there really isn't any reason this subject shouldn't be acceptable. I just think with a stronger composition, it could make it.
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 06:28 PM   #9
Andrew Blaszczyk (2)

Send a message via AIM to Andrew Blaszczyk (2) Send a message via Yahoo to Andrew Blaszczyk (2)

Look at your remarks and then look at the photo again and you'll find your problem.
Quote:
What better way for a caboose to retire? Built in 1913, this Canadian Pacific caboose made its way to Galiano Island in 1973 where it was converted into a cabin and now sits more then 100 kilometers away from where she used to roll, taking in the sights a
Include the caboose AND the sights, I believe thats the missing link.

"My camera is an artistic medium, not a tool of terrorism."

www.ab2photography.com Coming soon!
My photos on RailPictures:
http://www.railpictures.net/showphotos.php?userid=960
Andrew Blaszczyk (2) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 01:22 AM   #10
mattyrob87

Thanks everybody, I was just seeing what people thought... all your suggestions are great, but I can't really do anything about it because I was just there on holidays and it wasn't my caboose! Andrew was mentioning capture the sights of where the caboose is... kind of impossible. As much of a beautiful view you do see, there is a tree pretty much right beside me!

I just thought it would be a unique picture...
Old 06-06-2008, 03:39 PM   #11
Switched out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Limits
Museum pieces are accepted, so why not a well equipped piece on private property? But without all the foreground clutter.
Hmmm interesting concept, it's one I would encourage the admins to put on the list of things to think about at next policy review meeting.

Christine.
Switched out is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 05:34 PM   #12
ExNavyDoc

For me, the gas grill is kind of jarring. The rustic furniture and the weathered wood platform go along with the bucolic setting, but the grill is out of place. I think it is a nice shot otherwise.

Too bad you can't replace the grill with a white-bearded retired railroader enjoying the sun at his retirement hide-away, or a planter of flowers. How good is your Photoshop-fu?
ExNavyDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 05:44 PM   #13
Andrew Blaszczyk (2)

Send a message via AIM to Andrew Blaszczyk (2) Send a message via Yahoo to Andrew Blaszczyk (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Switched out
Hmmm interesting concept, it's one I would encourage the admins to put on the list of things to think about at next policy review meeting.

Christine.
I have two and a half weeks off coming up at the end of the month and I don't have too much traveling planned so I will gladly take on this project as well as a rejection 'table' that will be added to the submission page.

"My camera is an artistic medium, not a tool of terrorism."

www.ab2photography.com Coming soon!
My photos on RailPictures:
http://www.railpictures.net/showphotos.php?userid=960
Andrew Blaszczyk (2) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 06:32 PM   #14
Joe the Photog

I have a siiliar conundrum with a caboose that has been converted to part of a stage in Saluda, NC. I took some shots of it, but high sun/poor lighting was killing it that day and was only going to get worse. From the back, it looks like a caboose, albeit one with an air conditioner poking out a window. From the front, it's got an overhand and a stage for concerts. Can't wait to go back ad try to get a submitable (word?) shot. I'm all for trying to get shots of things in the database that might be a little left of center, so to speak.

Joe
Old 06-07-2008, 05:36 AM   #15
a231pacific

Does RP have a sense of humor? I've considered posting these, but couldn't bear the thought of rejection!

Michael Allen
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Heber City DSC_0002-800.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	150.3 KB
ID:	2901   Click image for larger version

Name:	Heber City DSC_0008-800.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	118.2 KB
ID:	2902  
a231pacific is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 06:14 AM   #16
JimThias

Who are those young lads in that photo, Michael?
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 04:22 PM   #17
a231pacific

Jim,

1,3 & 5 are part of the Michigan railfan crew, Ken Borg, Jeff Mast and Jim Koglin. 2 & 4 are John Charles and Gary Hunter, from Colorado and Arizona respectively. The shot was taken at Heber City as we were heading home from the 2007 Winter Spectacular. Couldn't resist one more train shot! The Amtrash is the dumpster out behind the same restaurant.

Michael Allen
a231pacific is offline   Reply With Quote