Old 08-13-2008, 05:39 PM   #26
photogeek88

Send a message via AIM to photogeek88

I have a bit of an issue with this particular subject because of some encounters with Metra and the CTA this summer. They, like NJDot, both had big hooplas over the photography thing a few years ago. I just feel slighted that, even after everything is settled and the companies reassure the general public that photography is okay, they still keep repeating the same ol' same ol' to their employees, like nothing's changed. So really the employees in many situations aren't trying to be bossy, they're just ignorant. That irks me.
photogeek88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 05:42 PM   #27
Ween

Quote:
So really the employees in many situations aren't trying to be bossy, they're just ignorant. That irks me.
Just fling dog poo at them. Then cover them in honey.
Old 08-13-2008, 06:39 PM   #28
travsirocz

Send a message via AIM to travsirocz

I've done the 24hr + hours just not in the same location but along the tracks the whole time. Also, I have never been bothered by anyone, really. Asked questions or maybe an engineer took a shot with his camera phone but thats it. I think bigger cities have more of a problem.
travsirocz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 11:14 PM   #29
JimThias

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSditch
I get out of Cassandra plenty. Most of my life was spent around New York and Chicago.
Quote:
Gotta love assumptions just as much. Born in Chicago actually, Cambria County is my adopted home, and that eight should be a seven. I'll get right on that typographical error.
Ok, so you're 23. Please define "most of my life" in terms of spending time railfanning in those cities. From your original statement, I would have guessed you to be somewhere in the 40+ age range.

Quote:
The reality is that as an operator, and a member of a close group of them, we do an average of 6-8 twenty-four hour sessions per year. A regular casual outing can last from 4 to 18 hours depending on what's going on. Rarely if ever, are any of us bothered.
So just how much 24 hour railfanning did you do in your teen years in Chicago and New York? And when you say "we" were doing 6-8 times a year, does that mean in Cassandra or Chicago and New York? Were your rarely if ever bothered in Chicago and New York, or just Cassandra?

Last edited by JimThias; 08-13-2008 at 11:18 PM.
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 11:29 PM   #30
Slopes09

Send a message via AIM to Slopes09

In NSditch's defense, nowadays, parents can move around quite a lot these days. Hasn't happened to me, but at least a couple of my brother's friends' families have picked up and moved clear across the country from the quiet suburbs of Chicago. I think one of them ended up all the way in some middle of nowhere town in Arizona. I knew of people in my high school and grade school younger than him who had lived in three and four different places.

So yeah, don't jump to conclusions.

Also, he wasn't talking about 24 hour things (those would be pretty hard to do in Chicago due to train frequency and trying to find a good neighborhood), the thread has now gone off topic, in case you hadn't noticed.

Mr. Fane, I hate to say it, but you're a little biased after your Metra and CTA encounters. Rightly so, I should add. After your experience, it does appear that there is a lot of saying one thing and doing another. But, from what I've read, that appears to be mainly a problem of transit/commuter agencies, for whatever reason.

That being said, I've never had a problem with a freight railroad before. I've been investigated once or twice, but by being honest and good natured, nothing ever came of it. It was more of a, "Hey, just curious what you're doing. Oh, is that all? Well, carry on then." And, some of those have even been on the Union Pacific (notorious for attempts to ban photography).

Pretty much the only Pentax Shooter.

Click Here to view my photos at RailPictures.Net!
Slopes09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 02:51 AM   #31
NSditch
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slopes09
Also, he wasn't talking about 24 hour things (those would be pretty hard to do in Chicago due to train frequency and trying to find a good neighborhood), the thread has now gone off topic, in case you hadn't noticed.
Thanks for the kind words Mike. Depending on your parents line of work...it happens.

Actually, I do that everytime I get back to Illinois to visit family that still lives out there. Hinsdale is a must since that's where the family is, and I have my roots. The usually a stint on the Transfoam and/or CN&W before the trip is over.

Just a brief list of a few of the 24 hour sessions I have done both on my own, and with friends or family in my 33 years, off the top of my head in no particular order:

Bound Brook, NJ
Fostoria, OH
Deshler, OH
North Platte, NE
Hinsdale, IL (Place of Birth)
LaGrange, IL
Coal City, IL
Roselle Park, NJ
North Elizabeth, NJ
Florida, NY
Ridgefield Park, NJ
Binghamton, NY
Williamsburg, VA
Brighton Park, IL
Joliet, IL
St. Louis, MO
Point of Rocks, MD
Cumberland, MD
Harrisburg, PA
South Fork, PA
Cassie, PA
Sand Patch, PA
Foley, PA
Collier, VA
Marysville, PA
Perryville, MD
Fullerton, CA
Walong, CA
Memphis, TN
Jonesboro, AR
Marks, MS
New Symara Beach, FL (sp?)
South Fork, PA
New York, NY
Blue Island, IL
Franklin Park, IL
Geneva, IL
Kingman, AZ
Hamilton, ON
Campbellville, ON
Rosseau Road, ON
Belleville, ON
Jasper, AB
Field, BC
Kamloops, BC
Delray, MI
Poole, UK
Amsterdam, NY
Syracuse, NY
Buffalo, NY
North Evans, NY
Burns Harbor, IN
North Pole, AK
Whittier, AK
Heather, OR
Iager, VA
Ought One, VA
Pittsburg, KS
Heavener, OK
Meridian, MS
Macungie, PA
Wyomissing, PA
Charles Town, WV
Helper, UT
Tennessee Pass
Copper Creek, VA
Keyser, WVa
Bristol, PA
Erwin, TN
Folkston, GA
Bozeman, MT
Pelham, NY
Greystone, NY
Berne, WA
Sandpoint, ID
Frasier, OR
Cascade Summit, WA
Rhinecliff, NY
Dorval, QC
Ludlow, CA
Asbury, CA
Metro New Orleans, LA
and on...
and on...
and on...

They're fun to do. It's cool to look back too and see how many times and where you've gotten specific units or some of the more amusing mishaps or radio comments you note in the process. Plus the travel experience rocks. Yeah...I'm a rivet counting hogheaded foamer. And I'm proud of it.

Pardon any spelling or grammatical errors. Been up for 20 hours. lol.

Last edited by NSditch; 08-14-2008 at 03:15 AM.
NSditch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 03:29 AM   #32
troy12n
Banned

troy12n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 04:14 AM   #33
Andrew Blaszczyk (2)

Send a message via AIM to Andrew Blaszczyk (2) Send a message via Yahoo to Andrew Blaszczyk (2)

I'd love to see the log from North Elizabeth presuming that it was the NEC.

"My camera is an artistic medium, not a tool of terrorism."

www.ab2photography.com Coming soon!
My photos on RailPictures:
http://www.railpictures.net/showphotos.php?userid=960
Andrew Blaszczyk (2) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 05:57 AM   #34
Slopes09

Send a message via AIM to Slopes09

Quote:
Originally Posted by troy12n
You do realize that due to your immature responses here, you're making NSditch seem all the more reasonable and believable than anything you're saying, right? What evidence do you have that he hasn't?

Just because it's a lot doesn't make it unbelievable. RP photographer John Ryan drives 20 to 40 thousand miles a year railfanning and is only in college. NSditch has at least an additional 10 years on John Ryan, so I find that perfectly believable.

Pretty much the only Pentax Shooter.

Click Here to view my photos at RailPictures.Net!
Slopes09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 07:18 PM   #35
NSditch
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Blaszczyk (2)
I'd love to see the log from North Elizabeth presuming that it was the NEC.
Unfortunately that one was old school. Notebook versus straight into the laptop. I have the better part of a day, 13 hours, which I'm more than happy to attach a link to. I threw in a recent 24 hour also. A good friend of mine uploaded them to his website temporarily for me...

http://www.parailfan.com/Logs/NElizNJ_02Jun2008.pdf
http://www.parailfan.com/Logs/WyomisPA_22Mar2008.pdf

Quote:
Just because it's a lot doesn't make it unbelievable. RP photographer John Ryan drives 20 to 40 thousand miles a year railfanning and is only in college. NSditch has at least an additional 10 years on John Ryan, so I find that perfectly believable.
Pretty much all I do is eat, sleep, work, time with the girl, and foam. And work pays for foam.

Also what he fails to take into account also is that when I take trips, I generally go for at least two weeks at a time, at however many trips I can manage in a year. That's usually about 7 twenty-four hour sessions, resting up the day in between. Add in weekend trips, which I have never had a problem making 8-10 hour drives for easy, and the list gets long.

In addition to the fact that my father was into the same thing. So I've been doing them since I was about 10 or 11.

And yes, his responses are quite immature, aren't they?

Last edited by NSditch; 08-14-2008 at 07:25 PM.
Old 08-14-2008, 10:21 PM   #36
Andrew Blaszczyk (2)

Send a message via AIM to Andrew Blaszczyk (2) Send a message via Yahoo to Andrew Blaszczyk (2)

Quote:
Unfortunately that one was old school. Notebook versus straight into the laptop. I have the better part of a day, 13 hours, which I'm more than happy to attach a link to. I threw in a recent 24 hour also. A good friend of mine uploaded them to his website temporarily for me...

http://www.parailfan.com/Logs/NElizNJ_02Jun2008.pdf
http://www.parailfan.com/Logs/WyomisPA_22Mar2008.pdf
Very cool! Thanks!

"My camera is an artistic medium, not a tool of terrorism."

www.ab2photography.com Coming soon!
My photos on RailPictures:
http://www.railpictures.net/showphotos.php?userid=960
Andrew Blaszczyk (2) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 05:30 PM   #37
NSditch
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Blaszczyk (2)
Very cool! Thanks!
No problem. I have my money where my mouth is.
Old 08-17-2008, 05:36 PM   #38
JimThias

Quote:

He's only 23 and has an additional 10 years of driving around the country on John Ryan who is roughly the same age? Hmmm...
Old 08-17-2008, 05:46 PM   #39
NSditch
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimThias
He's only 23 and has an additional 10 years of driving around the country on John Ryan who is roughly the same age? Hmmm...
John is about 23. I'm 33. Take a look at my profile.
Old 08-17-2008, 05:49 PM   #40
JimThias

Quote:
John is about 23. I'm 33. Take a look at my profile.
I stand corrected. I was told you were 23.

So all those trips, all that railfanning...did you do it without a camera?
Old 08-17-2008, 05:54 PM   #41
NSditch
Banned

Quote:

Eh...not all of it. But at least 3/4 of it. I've always been more of an operations guy than anything else. A large interest in motive power and engineering also. However, primarily operations. Hence the logging.

The way I see it, as long as I can read through old logs, and see the train in my mind's eye...I'm good. Besides, there are usually a ton of good times connected to them also.

Everybody has their own little microculture in this subculture hobby of ours.
Old 08-17-2008, 05:59 PM   #42
JimThias

Quote:
Eh...not all of it. But at least 3/4 of it. I've always been more of an operations guy than anything else. A large interest in motive power and engineering also. However, primarily operations. Hence the logging.

The way I see it, as long as I can read through old logs, and see the train in my mind's eye...I'm good. Besides, there are usually a ton of good times connected to them also.
The reason I ask is because the lack of train photographs from railfanning years ago is one of my biggest regrets, and I was wondering where all yours were. Lots of sitting and watching done by me, but nothing to show for it. If I had done as much travelling as you without taking pics, I'd really be disappointed in myself.
Old 08-18-2008, 10:02 PM   #43
troy12n
Banned

Quote:

He edited his profile a couple times, changed his story 3 or 4 more. I guess it really dont matter
troy12n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 03:58 AM   #44
NSditch
Banned

Quote:
The reason I ask is because the lack of train photographs from railfanning years ago is one of my biggest regrets, and I was wondering where all yours were. Lots of sitting and watching done by me, but nothing to show for it. If I had done as much travelling as you without taking pics, I'd really be disappointed in myself.
It all depends on what you're into. Like I said, I'm an ops guy. The memories are good enough for me.
Old 08-21-2008, 03:32 AM   #45
John Ryan

Send a message via AIM to John Ryan

Seeing as someone mentioned my name, I though I'd throw my ten cents in. (Two cents no longer works under current inflation.)

I did a dawn to dusk stint in Hinsdale, IL. No one bothered me because I dressed like I belonged there. I didn't show up in some greasy, rumply XXX-Large T-Shirt with a Wabash F-Unit on it. I think that might attract attention. I also moved around on about 4000 feet of railroad, so it wasn't like I was parking some lawn chair on the tracks. I didn't have a scanner blasting away at full volume, as that too would attract attention. I also didn't do that alarming railfan behavior where you start spinning like a top and waving your arms around when you see a headlight.

Here are the photos, such as they are:

http://homepage.mac.com/allegheny/hi...ery/index.html

If it looks like junk, keep in mind that I was 16 years old at the time.
John Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 06:29 PM   #46
NSditch
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Ryan
Seeing as someone mentioned my name, I though I'd throw my ten cents in. (Two cents no longer works under current inflation.)
Ha. Damn these mondern times' economics. Thanks for jumping in John. You've basically echoed what I have been trying to get across. It's all in how you act, react, and present yourself.

Hinsdale is a fantastic place. If it wasn't for work, I'd go home more often just to sit over in Cosi, get some coffee, and watch the dinky parade in the evening. I try to get home at least twice per year, and I'm looking forward to it this fall. The area is great, the people are fantastic, and really...what better place is there than where your family is? Especially when there are great trains and your so close to the cross roads of North American railroading and every type of operation you could ever want.

Last edited by NSditch; 08-22-2008 at 06:32 PM.
Old 08-22-2008, 08:03 PM   #47
PLEzero

Quote:
Gotta love assumptions just as much. Born in Chicago actually, Cambria County is my adopted home, and that eight should be a seven. I'll get right on that typographical error.
I love the internet. You can pretend to be anyone you want to be.
My RP.net Photos
PLEzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008, 02:27 AM   #48
NSditch
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by PLEzero
I love the internet. You can pretend to be anyone you want to be.
Oh yeah. Just like you can pretend to be holier than thou and nonjudgemental Brad Morocco, whoever you are. Move along child, move along.

Last edited by NSditch; 08-23-2008 at 02:30 AM.
Old 08-23-2008, 02:37 AM   #49
Mike B.
Banned

Careful with them claws, y'all.
Mike B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008, 03:39 AM   #50
John Ryan

Send a message via AIM to John Ryan

So, Mr. Ditch, when you're at the Cosi in Hinsdale, do you bring your laptop and log on to their free wi-fi so that you can work your stint as a Secret Screener for Railpictures?
John Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote