Old 04-22-2011, 02:31 AM   #1
mark woody

Default Similar - what say you?

Would this be considerred similar to previous? Looks like you missed a screeners chioce by a few feet to the left J.

Image © Janusz Mrozek
PhotoID: 341929
Photograph © Janusz Mrozek

Image © Chase Gunnoe
PhotoID: 361239
Photograph © Chase Gunnoe
mark woody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 02:35 AM   #2
Freericks
Met Fan

J and Chase did the right thing, separating by months... on the other hand, looks like J has a legitimate gripe at this point.
Freericks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 02:48 AM   #3
coborn35

Not the same at all.
I personally have had a problem with those trying to tell us to turn railroad photography into an "art form." It's fine for them to do so, I welcome it in fact, but what I do have a problem with is that the practitioners of the more "arty" shots, I have found, tend to look down their nose's at others who are shooting more "mundane" shots.
Railroad photography is what you make of it, but one way is not "better" than another, IMHO. Unless you have a pole right thought the nose of the engine! -SG
coborn35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 02:57 AM   #4
Freericks
Met Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by coborn35 View Post
Not the same at all.
Um... huh?

Only differences are focal length and position of the steamer on the rotation of the turntable.
Old 04-22-2011, 03:05 AM   #5
coborn35

Right, thats a pretty big difference.
I personally have had a problem with those trying to tell us to turn railroad photography into an "art form." It's fine for them to do so, I welcome it in fact, but what I do have a problem with is that the practitioners of the more "arty" shots, I have found, tend to look down their nose's at others who are shooting more "mundane" shots.
Railroad photography is what you make of it, but one way is not "better" than another, IMHO. Unless you have a pole right thought the nose of the engine! -SG
coborn35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 03:26 AM   #6
Joe the Photog

I think they are different enough to both be on, esp. given the time seperation.
Old 04-22-2011, 03:26 AM   #7
stlgevo51

That is a difference, but is it enough to give one a screener's choice when the other doesn't? The quality of Chase's photo is better, but other than that, they are pretty similar. It is no doubt they should both be on, but a screener's choice for one of them leaves me a little puzzled.
Youtube Videos
stlgevo51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 03:29 AM   #8
Freericks
Met Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
I think they are different enough to both be on, esp. given the time separation.
I agree with this...
Old 04-22-2011, 04:00 AM   #9
troy12n
Banned

It's no secret that the similar to previous is seemingly enforced whenever a screener feels like it.
troy12n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 04:55 AM   #10
Chase55671
RailPictures.Net Crew

Send a message via AIM to Chase55671 Send a message via MSN to Chase55671

If you look back when Janusz uploaded his photo (October 18th, 2010), an SC had already been awarded that day.

Image © Bob Krone
PhotoID: 341926
Photograph © Bob Krone

Additionally, a week before, one of my favorite images in the DB received an SC, which displays a somewhat similar scene.

Image © Christopher Blaszczyk
PhotoID: 341017
Photograph © Christopher Blaszczyk

Besides, it's all about how you compose and process the scene. If the OP would've taken that into consideration, this thread wouldn't of been necessary. It's very common to see very similar images on these photo charters, although slightly different. Sometimes the smallest move to the left or angle will make for a big difference. Take a look at some of the Owosso photos. A variety of perspectives there, no doubt. Many of which acknowledged respectively. I'm not saying mine deserved to be an SC because of the angle, I'm just saying that perhaps because of the different approach I took, my result appealed more to the screener. This is one of the main reasons I enjoy attending these photo charters. You get to see what others make of the same scene. It really puts it into perspective how creative some RP'ers can be, especially when there is a ton of competition just inches away.

Image © Christopher Blaszczyk
PhotoID: 275347
Photograph © Christopher Blaszczyk

Image © Andrew Blaszczyk (2)
PhotoID: 254005
Photograph © Andrew Blaszczyk (2)

Chase
Click here to view my photos at Railpictures.Net
SLR Night Photography Tutorial | Railpictures.Net Beginners Guide

Last edited by Chase55671; 04-22-2011 at 05:09 AM.
Chase55671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 03:41 AM   #11
mtrails

Quote:
Originally Posted by troy12n View Post
It's no secret that the similar to previous is seemingly enforced whenever a screener feels like it.
Seems to be my case.

Granted, they are shot at the same location; The focal depth, and angle are different, aside from the different trains in each shot, as well as a second train appearing in one of them.

My appeal to the rejected photo stated the differences, and also pointed out other photos in the database that are practically identical. For example, two shots accepted by the same photographer in sequence of each other, were only different by the trains in them. Compared to one another, the focal depth was the same, but the angle was slightly different in one photo by about 1 degree.

The appeal results came back as rejected: (blank)

Seemingly unfair, I sent a message via site contact, toward the screening team asking a second opinion. The reply was that my "photos were of the same train, taken seconds apart." Therefore, it qualified as "similar to previous".

Taking it one step farther, I replied that the trains in the photos are in fact NOT the same, were taken 1-1/2 hours apart, and a second train now occupies the shot.

Have had no reply.

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphot...=369977&nseq=0
http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...d=952109&key=0

Opinions?

Jeremy
mtrails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 04:10 AM   #12
sd9

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtrails View Post
Seems to be my case.

Granted, they are shot at the same location; The focal depth, and angle are different, aside from the different trains in each shot, as well as a second train appearing in one of them.

My appeal to the rejected photo stated the differences, and also pointed out other photos in the database that are practically identical. For example, two shots accepted by the same photographer in sequence of each other, were only different by the trains in them. Compared to one another, the focal depth was the same, but the angle was slightly different in one photo by about 1 degree.

The appeal results came back as rejected: (blank)

Seemingly unfair, I sent a message via site contact, toward the screening team asking a second opinion. The reply was that my "photos were of the same train, taken seconds apart." Therefore, it qualified as "similar to previous".

Taking it one step farther, I replied that the trains in the photos are in fact NOT the same, were taken 1-1/2 hours apart, and a second train now occupies the shot.

Have had no reply.

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphot...=369977&nseq=0
http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...d=952109&key=0

Opinions?

Jeremy
Seems to me like a lot of time wasted to argue about a two photos that are similar...
sd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 04:21 AM   #13
wds

Quote:
Originally Posted by sd9 View Post
Seems to me like a lot of time wasted to argue about a two photos that are similar...
... in location and railroad only... okay, and lead loco type too. I think I know what it really was, the sky is blue and the trees are green in both of those!

Old 07-28-2011, 04:24 AM   #14
mtrails

Quote:
Originally Posted by sd9 View Post
Thank you. I'm just trying to understand why I received the similar rejection with these two photos, that are more different from each other, compared to other similar photos that have been accepted that are much more similar.
Old 07-28-2011, 10:05 AM   #15
troy12n
Banned

Who knows... like I said, they enforce this when they feel like it. No rhyme or reason. Certain people on this site have literally dozens of photos which are virtually identical. Literally standing in the exact same spot, at the same time of day, shooting the exact same angle / focal length, etc

I think you shot should have gotten another rejection, for one it's overexposed
troy12n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 11:37 AM   #16
JRMDC

I missed this thread originally - how is that possible? - or I have zero memory of it. I do think that Chase's angle is more interesting than mine. It works better as a composition, and he got the trucks lit up. And I didn't know there was an SC awarded three shots before mine. I shall now shift my bitterness away from Chase toward Bob Krone. Chase, you are off the hook! Just don't cross me again!

(IIRC, I was the first to set up on that side, somewhat away from the main group, Chase saw me and copied. Yes, yes, that's how it was, I am sure of it! )

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots

Last edited by JRMDC; 07-28-2011 at 11:47 AM.
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 12:52 PM   #17
DWHonan

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtrails View Post
Opinions?
Yeah, STP rejections sometimes seem to be inconsistent, but I think your rejected shot has more critical flaws: It was obviously taken during high-sun conditions (look at the shadow cast by the rail bridge's walkway) and has very harsh, flat light; I don't think it's worth arguing over because of those factors, regardless of how similar (or not) it is to the accepted image.
View my portfolio at Flickr Not quite so new anymore!
DWHonan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 05:05 PM   #18
travsirocz

Send a message via AIM to travsirocz

I really see no similarities besides the number on side of the cab.
travsirocz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 01:19 AM   #19
mtrails

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWHonan View Post
Yeah, STP rejections sometimes seem to be inconsistent, but I think your rejected shot has more critical flaws: It was obviously taken during high-sun conditions (look at the shadow cast by the rail bridge's walkway) and has very harsh, flat light; I don't think it's worth arguing over because of those factors, regardless of how similar (or not) it is to the accepted image.
If that is the case, I would have much more preferred the 'overexposed' rejection! lol

From the comment left by wds, as I understand it, if the train in the other photo was Union Pacific, it would be less similar.

Thank you for your opinions everyone.