Old 09-10-2012, 03:46 AM   #1
Dennis A. Livesey

Default Two pictures, different views.

Two pictures. Same photographer, same camera, same subject, (steam,) taken same time frame: very different view count.

One is static, the other is dynamic. I would have thought the dynamic would get more views.

However, the No. 765 is is very saturated in coverage. And the light is not great. I guess that is the reason for the less than big view count.

I would say then that it is the combination of news worthiness , rarity, color, and most of all great light that makes the one of No. 2124 the winner over the one of No. 765.

Any other ideas of why the difference?

No big deal, just trying to figure what makes people click.

On the other hand, I am very satisfied with the shot of No. 765 because I like it and because three of RP's noted photographers were impressed enough to write. That for me counts for thousand of views.

Image © Dennis A. Livesey
PhotoID: 408258
Photograph © Dennis A. Livesey

Image © Dennis A. Livesey
PhotoID: 407945
Photograph © Dennis A. Livesey

I Foam Therefore I Am.

My pix on RailPics:

I am on Flickr as well:

"Dennis is such a God, he could do that with a camera obscura and some homemade acetate." Holloran Grade

"To me it looks drawn in in Paintshop. It looks like a puddle of orange on the sky." SFO777
Dennis A. Livesey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 03:56 AM   #2
KevinM

Hi Dennis,

This is an easy one. RP has been saturated with shots of NKP 765 lately, and although this B&W is very nicely done, it hits RP when the audience has probably had it with the subject. In addition....and I've said this before....the RP audience has a big contingent that doesn't seem to want to click on black and white shots.

On the other hand, I think you're the first to show off the 2124 with the new coat of paint....and in pretty light to boot. The Reading 2100s are popular engines and photos of them on this site are relatively uncommon. Grab a newsy photo of one of those and that shot is just about guaranteed to trump a B&W of a much more common subject.

My RP stuff is here.

Link to my Flickr Albums. Lots of Steam Railroad stuff there from all over the US.
KevinM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 04:02 AM   #3
Mgoldman

What Kevin said verbatim.

Now - go find to identical photos with different view counts and explain that.
OK - not hard - timing - who was first, who linked most, and was the more viewed image uploaded at a yet to be determined best time of the day /week?.

/Mitch
Mgoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 02:00 PM   #4
oltmannd

I clicked on the 2124 shot because I was curious about which T1 it was, where, etc. and to get a better look at it. I didn't click on the 765 shot because I knew what was going on and could see enough to be satisfied in the thumbnail.

Don't know if I'm typical, though.
oltmannd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 03:26 AM   #5
Dennis A. Livesey

Thumbs up

Now that my No. 765 shot is on, I must admit my ardor for it has cooled.

When we submit here, we as photographers are vulnerable. We have let down our guard, our shields, as we let our precious babies out into the cold, cruel world for the first time. We have great expectations; we love our babies. Therefore when they are rejected, we hurt because we want everyone to love our them as much as we do.

Of course, most of us, including me, are more thick-skinned and do not allow these feelings to surface thus I expect most here would dispute this.

I am just speaking metaphorically of course.

Now that my shot of No. 765 is out, I see the flaws, particularly that it is dark and the sky dull; still if you look close, it does work and work very well.

Thanks for everybody for the comments. This feedback, the give and take that RP provides, I attribute to giving me so much insight on how to improve my own photography since I joined in 2006.

I Foam Therefore I Am.

My pix on RailPics:

I am on Flickr as well:

"Dennis is such a God, he could do that with a camera obscura and some homemade acetate." Holloran Grade

"To me it looks drawn in in Paintshop. It looks like a puddle of orange on the sky." SFO777
Dennis A. Livesey is offline   Reply With Quote